1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Tragedy of the Events

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Enginseer, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Drakle

Drakle King

The drought event just sucks. If you don't randomly have 150 gold on hand, than later on -2 food on all farms and farms get pillaged. And those pillaged farms still get the minus food, so my flood plains now are as productive as tundra tiles. And farms without freshwater and adjuncy are worse than the base tile. It says one city, but it impacts tiles well into the next city, even ones the city couldn't possibly work. So now my game feels crippled, because my two major cities have utterly crippled growth and there is literally nothing to do about it. And it lasts ages.

2. General_Drax

General_Drax Warlord

If you check many posts about players set up you'll find that many of us disabled the events by default. Sometime ancient ruins too. Some events just destroy your game (ice age/drought) if triggering early, other will become a very annoying conundrum (repair farms every ten turns).

3. SuperNoobCamper

SuperNoobCamper Prince

I rooted for events module for a long time but honestly i just stopped playing with it altogether and it felt i had more control and the game became more predictable and nothing crazy -whether positive or negative- happens to grant you an easy win or screw you over and the same could be said about ruins aswell.
    But to be honest i liked some event in particular civ-specific events like Carthage getting their crossing the mountains ability back, Korea's science from farms but some where game breaking like Assyrias late game conscription of paratroopers or The English resistance event.

4. brutalz

brutalz Chieftain

I have turned off bad and neutral events, they are just so....annoying, not fun. maybe if they were less frequent it wouldn't feel so drainer. Good events are fine.
    ruins i turn off now, it can unbalance games and snowball civs too easily.

bigcat88 likes this.
  5. Drakle

Drakle King

Did something get changed recently with events? There used to not be any game-breaking events (or at least I didn't get them), and now every game I'm playing is getting one. Just got an ice age event where I had to pick between -2 gold when I had almost no gold or -2 production in a pretty low production area. And that scales to every city, so new cities immediately become gold negative, on top of the unit maintenance to defend them. Took the gold, and the only thing keeping me alive was a generous donation by England. But I couldn't dial back on units, because my neighbour Huns, so I'm having to fight him with a ragtag army. I think the only thing keeping me alive, is he also seems to be struggling with an event, so we are two cripples battering at each other. But now my gold is zeroing out again, and I doubt England will keep giving me gold.

I'm turning off bad events now. Two decent starts of games, just ruined. Honestly shows an absolute lack of thought about the system, to have events like this.

6. Enginseer

Enginseer Salientia of the Community Patch Supporter

Overall the main consensus is that there are too many repetitions in the events that end up ruining the player's experience because they may encounter the same negative and the same negative events multiple times. And this applies for the same for the positive events that end up snowballing the player if having the same positive events so many times. I'll tweak the base events and VP events then work on community events afterwards.

7. salty mud

salty mud Deity

My main problem with events is that there are too few, and they always happen in the same order. In the ancient era, I always get the monument event and the obect from the sky event, followed by the migratory tribe event. Some of the events have options that I can't see any feasible way of unlocking, since the events always fire long before I've got to the appropriate point in the tech tree. For such a terrific mod, events seem half-baked and tacked on, so often best to play with them off.

John.B.C and Drakle like this.
  8. psparky

psparky Prince

Heatwave, which activates the drought events, and Ice Age, which causes various effects if not mitigated by your choice, are Global Events. When they are triggered by one player they affect all players. However, the consequent drought and ice-related events are assessed randomly for each city, so the impact can vary somewhat between players (like all events).

Until the August release, there was a bug that meant that if a Global Event was triggered by any player other than the human, then the human was not affected, while all the AI's were. I did suggest that now that this bug is fixed, steps should be taken to greatly reduce their frequency, but I think this was not acted upon.

9. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch Supporter

A few versions back I fixed some RNG issues that was resulting in the same events firing every game, reducing variety. Variety should be better now.

10. InkAxis

InkAxis Prince

There are still a lot that are unbalanced or unfun. The most obvious example being the farm pillage, which I think should give you 5-10 turns warning before it happens. Enginseer has gone over some of the other problems too in the discord.

11. AndreyK

AndreyK Warlord

I'm started a game - Planet Simulator, Continents, Epic, Large, Arabia, Immortal. Started in a small desert continent alone, found 3 CS one maritime, 2 mercantile, now in the middle of Classical. Have 5 cities with Pyramids.
    I had 2 flood events, and now my second city (two so far) got a plague event - so events seems not very balanced. How do I get a plague, when I don't have a TR with CS, have not met any AI?
    I'm with Tradition Arabia with 4 flood plains already 9th in population and in 10 turns my 2 largest cities (beside capital) going to lose 1 pop, already lost pop in capital due to flood event. Also got an Ice Age event.
    I'm allied to maritime CS, but I have access to only one. Had one event that gave 1 pop (was a choice between unit, border and gold with possible barb spawn), event with +2 culture to palace, took also 1 faith to shrines, took 1 faith for monuments, 3 market day (+2 gold for 45 turns) events.
    Looks like bad events have much stronger effect and consequences then good.

12. AndreyK

AndreyK Warlord

Also there were 2 events giving GAP, but looks like more of a negative event, because you get your first golden age when you don't really need it, because you have only 1 city, and fairly small, so benefits of GA non-existent, and the second GA very long way to get

13. Zanteogo

Zanteogo King

I honestly wonder how many casuals don't give VP a chance because their first few runs have events, that most people have to agree are broken and repetitive. They should not be on by default.

14. John.B.C

John.B.C Warlord

I agree, they get repetitious, this is why I finally turned them off after having had them turned on for quite some games. What I'd like to say is from playing with them: I was perfectly happy with 'balance' and 'frequency' (I like the random element which they produce) but it just got so boring... going through the same old events 'over and over' again (in the same order).

15. Drakle

Drakle King

Another thing that needs in addressed with events, is the arcane triggers required. You have to be doing a lot of different stuff, which unless you know about the event and its triggers, you can't plan for. And even if you do know, it is easy to let slip by the wayside because it isn't in your face to remind you. Like I was playing Byzantium again. But I forgot to get in a early war with a city state, and so I missed out on 4 free hunnic horse archers, which had been a massive help in my prior game.

A lot of late game events also require negative GPT, which at least for me is extremely rare in the late game.

And has anybody ever got to the end of one of the religious chain events? Each stage takes way too long, and they also have some of the odd triggers.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  16. abulafia77

abulafia77 Chieftain

Agree. Or at least default to / include the "more (community) events", rather than having to install additional mods.

That said, nowadays I play w/o ruins or events.

17. HungryForFood

HungryForFood Prince

From my games with events (months ago), it feels like I always get flooded with city events. I remember I checked the code back then, and found that city events are checked for each city every turn. So, if you play very wide, the problem gets even worse.

If it still works the same way, I think it is better if whether city events occur is only checked once per player per turn. If the check is successful, then only check for which specific city event to fire.

18. JamesNinelives

JamesNinelives Emperor

These are my thoughts on events from my recent game: I'd like the one with a dinosaur skeleton being dug up to be more common, that's interesting and I don't see it very often these days. I'd also like the natural wonder related events to be more common, I enjoy them a lot and rarely get to explore all the options.
    That's not really a fair description of what VP is like compared to the base game. There are so many improvements in so many different areas. The first time a bad event happens it's kind of exciting - it's a new kind of challenge to deal with. It's when events repeat over many runs that it become tiring as a new player. That's what led me to the community events originally.
    I have! The reward for the event chain I've completed (Way of Transcendance) was a bit underwhelming unfortunately. The flavour in the description is excellent, and the steps along the way are OK but I had hoped for something more impactful when I got to the end. The main way to get those events to trigger more often is to save up faith (because many of the steps have a faith requirement).
    Indeed. Although there are balance issues with community events, it's still much more interesting than the base version. I'm glad that events are getting some attention now.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  19. Zanteogo

Zanteogo King

I disagree. Events compared to the other changes VP does are, again by comparison, unrefined and buggy. It's the only part of VP that became hands off and had no further refinement after fully added and it shows.

This is why I believe they should not be activated by default.

20. JamesNinelives

JamesNinelives Emperor

I'm not arguing that they should be the default. But if we take the time to refine them, perhaps that that won't be as much of an issue - and we improve the game at the same time.

Skidizzle likes this.