[R&F] Trailer hints for R&F Civs: can the next one be Carthage?

dataswallow

Chieftain
(Link from the original Youtuber on this theory (on 27:46):
)

Hey everyone. A Korean Civ Youtuber by the name of "Orient (오리엔트)" has put out a theory on what one of the remaining Civ might be. The theory is entirely his; I'm just spreading it here with the English speaking community because I think he is on to something.

The basis for his guess is:
1) We've seen that the reveal trailer is hiding quite a lot of info in terms of the new Civs. We already have confirmed the Mongols (and the forces fighting against them were Georgians with their UU units if you look at their attire carefully), and the Koreans. The scene with the Nazis marching also showed a map of the Netherlands.

2) That would indicate that we could probably assume that the rest of the Civs can also be deciphered with hints from the trailer.

3) From the 28th second stamp of the trailer, there is a group of ancient/classic laborers piling up stones on a mountainous region with water; that looks perfect for a HARBOR.

4) Orient thinks that these guys are Carthage workers, building a Cothon (a Carthage harbor/commercial center).

What does everyone else think? I am getting more and more anxious that the number of Civs are running out, and I'm having this weird feeling that the Majors (Inca/Maya, Ottomans) are not going to see the light of day on the R&F release version. Orient was also pretty upset because he thinks that Georgia's inclusion almost confirms that Byzantium is out this release (due to being too similar with each other).

There might be flaw in his/her assumption of “all civs were hinted in the trailer” because where is the hint for cree that he/she conveniently omitted ?

I don't think that every civ coming in R&F has a trailer clue. What clue would have indicated the Cree, for example?

Nor is everything in the trailer necessarily a clue.

The construction scene looks nothing like the (very distinctive) cothon, nor Carthage more generally. There's no city, just dense forest. It's too much of a stretch, especially since the other hints were quite specific - from the crown of Silla to the Georgian soldiers. A vague wall next to some water does not a cothon make.

I don't know. It's too vague to tell. Are there parts of Tunisia that green and mountainous? To me personally, I could see the Cothon being a classical era shipyard replacement, and there aren't any buildings left to be replaced. However I could be wrong as well.

Maybe on a coastal tile adjacent to the harbor. It would seem very limiting to only be able to do one UI per city though.
Good point.

I suspect that if Carthage is in, they would either have a Harbour replacement or some sort of Improvement relating to the production of Tyrian purple.

ETA: what if this is the as-yet-unknown third resource? Assuming turtles are part of the reef feature

I can only see Cothons as unique districts replacing Harbors, but we already have Royal Navy Dockyard. Maybe we could have two unique districts of the same type someday.

I think we will have to eventually. Cothons strike me as being a district more than a building.

Or perhaps we get a unique district which is not a replacement for an existing district

I know it was discussed briefly in another thread. Carthage was on my list for a while, and this scene in the trailer was one of the reasons.

I recently dropped Carthage due to the potential Zulu Leak which I am now leaning towards as TRUE. If Zulu make it in - then for Carthage to also get in Inca or Ottoman would have to be skipped.

Or perhaps we get a unique district which is not a replacement for an existing district
It seems unlikely to me for Carthage to get a Unique "Water Park" or a unique Government District.

Last edited:
It seems unlikely to me for Carthage to get a Unique "Water Park" or a unique Government District.

This is not what I wanted to say. I meant a truly unique district. An additional district no one can build.

A modern day Cothon could easily turn into/look like a Water Park though. :p

I don't know. It's too vague to tell. Are there parts of Tunisia that green and mountainous?

Yes, the terrain looks quite untypical for Carthage imo. I thought this scene is the hint for the Inca, but they don't fit before the Rome Scene time-wise. Carthage on the other hand could be positioned there, right?

Yes, the terrain looks quite untypical for Carthage imo. I thought this scene is the hint for the Inca, but they don't fit before the Rome Scene time-wise. Carthage on the other hand could be positioned there, right?
The founding of Carthage varies but I believe it all the dates would be in the Ancient Era, so I guess it could be possible. On the other hand this scene might not relate to anything and just shows an Ancient civilization constructing some unknown structure to start the trailer.

Top Bottom