1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Trait based tech advantages?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by mjs0, Nov 20, 2006.

?

Are tech advantages based on traits a good idea?

1. Interesting idea...and I like it.

14 vote(s)
    53.8%
  2. Interesting idea...but it's not for me

5 vote(s)
    19.2%
  3. Bad idea...I would change traits but not this way

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  4. Bad idea...stick with the current system of bonuses for traits

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  5. I dislike the whole concept of traits

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  6. No opinion

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  1. mjs0

mjs0 The 4th X

I was reading several threads today relating to leader traits and got to thinking that an interesting way to accentuate the differences between the traits whilst not introducing difficult to balance tweaks to low level game mechanics might be to extend trait advantages to research.

What this would mean is that each trait would have an affinity with a particular set (maybe 5 or 6) of technologies...granting a discount when researching those technologies. This exists today in the form of the free starting technologies for each trait and would simply be extended to a number of additional key technologies that are clearly tied to that trait.

To maintain balance and ensure the tech tree is not run too quickly this would probably require that the remainder of the techs get slightly more expensive and that the leaders be less inclined to trade away technologies that are linked to their trait.

So...what does everyone think...vote away!

2. Duuk

Duuk Doom-Sayer Supporter

I like it.

3. Bongo-Bongo

Bongo-Bongo The Master

I think it's quite an interesting idea. Providing that each tech at a trait in each era, and all the the techs cost the same number of beakers in research, I think this would porbably work quite well.

4. maxbjr

maxbjr Warlord

I agree with Bongo-Bongo. A good idea that needs to be balanced between the eras. So one leader doesn't have alot of tech advantage early in game only to have research fall behind laster in game. Or a leader who's tech advantage doesn't kick in till mid to late game. That leader my never see the late game.

5. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Jokerfied Western Male

I like the ideas, but it could be hard to keep it balanced.
    Spiritual might get discounts on religious techs and it would be too easy to found five or six religions with Mansa Musa.

6. Hitti-Litti

Hitti-Litti Deity

I voted "I dislike whole concept of traits." Traits look dumb when you have played Rhye's mod with unique powers. But, like GoodSarmatian said, it could change too many things. Mansa would have discount on both financial techs, which give you more money on research, which gives you more religious techs.

7. mjs0

mjs0 The 4th X

GoodSarmatian, no arguments here, balance is always tricky.
    In fact, the real trick as always would be ensuring that the advantages available to each leader make each of them atttractive to play. So whilst Spiritual Leaders may get faster access to some religions that will still come at the expense of researching other techs, and of course whilst perhaps the Spritual Leader is benefiting from earlier Monotheism, the Aggressive Leader is benefiting from faster progress to Bronze Working and the Financial Leader may get Pottery and thus cottages quicker.
    The idea is to accentuate the traits and make the feel of each leader significantly different.
    At the end of the day the right balance would only come from extensive playtesting, but as long as each trait has its related techs spread evenly across the tech tree it will surely be easier than trying to successfully balance leaders with early UU/UB with those having late UU/UB.

8. Thedrin

Thedrin Deity

Less differences between civs. Not more.

9. Mr. Civtastic

Mr. Civtastic Prince

Thats what I first thought. People would be able to rush earlier on the easier difficulties, while ai would just blow you away teching on the harder difficulties.

10. mjs0

mjs0 The 4th X

I tried to address this with the following:

The idea would be that however many beakers were discounted on the related techs would be added to the rest of the techs to maintain balance and ensure the tech tree takes the same overall amount of time to run.
    In addition the AIs would become much more reticent with respect to trading their trait-related techs, this would ensure that a group of AIs could not get together and race ahead by exchanging their trait-related techs.