1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have selected the winners of the Old World random draw and competition. For the winning entries, please check this thread.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Transcontinental Railroad (Wonder Idea)

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by MerchantCo, Aug 16, 2013.

1. MerchantCo

MerchantCo Merchant

Automatically builds a railroad from your western-most city to your eastern-most city. +2 pop in every city that it crosses through. Suggestions?

2. mdl5000

mdl5000 Prince

But you're relying on the computer to map it. Might turn out looking pretty ugly.

3. otaman1

otaman1 Prince

Why not build railroads yourself? It ain't that hard

4. MerchantCo

MerchantCo Merchant

That's exactly why there would be other bonuses.

5. Rusty Edge

Rusty Edge Deity

A great railroad deserves a Great Engineer.

6. True_Candyman

True_Candyman Emperor

Because if there's one thing we're lacking it's more world wonders from a country that's not even 300 years old in a game that represents the course of history from 4000bc. :mischief:

7. MerchantCo

MerchantCo Merchant

How many world wonders belong to America? Only two: Broadway and Statue of Liberty. TBH, they didn't go overboard with them.

8. LostKnight

LostKnight A wandering knight

Also, transcontinental railroads are hardly an american thing anyway. Canada and (especially) Russia both have longer railroads.

Still like the idea tough, maybe a wonder that need two cities to build, wich conect the two in the straitest line possible.

9. MerchantCo

MerchantCo Merchant

@LostKnight: That's what I mean! I love world wonders which provide unique bonuses.

10. True_Candyman

True_Candyman Emperor

3, you forgot the Pentagon.

4 if you count the UN.

You could stretch it to 5 if you count the Hubble Space Telescope

11. MattZed

MattZed Warlord

... and Pentagon. (There's also a fair case for saying that the Hubble Telescope belongs to America.)

...and if you're counting projects, the Apollo Program and Manhattan Project

... and three natural wonders. (Grand Mesa, Old Faithful, Barringer Crater)

If you're only counting World Wonders, America is a well represented civ. If you count everything, however, America is the best-represented civ in the game, so perhaps a new wonder should be balanced toward another region/timeperiod.

12. Kiwi Tyrant

Kiwi Tyrant Evil Jollification

What happens if I have a civ that is north-south orientated? :nope:

But seriously, I'd like a railroad National Wonder that allows me to get railroad connection bonuses from my capital to my other cities on another land mass. Not so much single cities on small islands, but more like a minimum of 3 cities connected by rail on another landmass. Maybe an expensive 'Port Terminal' upgrade or something, built in a coastal city connected by rail to 'x' amount of cities....

13. Peng Qi

Peng Qi Emperor

How about "replaces all roads in your territory with railroads and railroads only cost 1:c5gold: in maintenance" instead? Could also make it "The Orient Express" if we want to make it a non-America wonder.

14. Arachnofiend

Arachnofiend Perturbed Pugilist

You could also say that roughly half of the game is about only the last 500 years. :p

15. otaman1

otaman1 Prince

The Statue of Liberty, could arguably be France. You also forgot the Pentagon and the Hubble Space Telescope.

16. Alzadar

Alzadar Warlord

Uhh... this exists, it's called a Harbour... ;) As soon as you unlock Railroads, all cities with a Harbour connection get the bonus, or Harbour+Rail for inland cities.

17. Rusty Edge

Rusty Edge Deity

Yes. It's a greater achievement to build across the land that has been more recently glaciated. The obstacles that remain are granite that has to be blasted to bits, and soggy sinkholes which are difficult to fill or bridge. It's one delay and expense after another. That's to say nothing of snow sheds and operating in winter weather in those places when metal contracts and becomes brittle.

And my hat is off to the Aussies for finding enough water to build a railroad & operate steam trains across their continent, too.