Transferring DLC scenario features into the main game's standard rules

Good question, I'm wondering why they've locked some of those DLC assets for use in standard game (I mean, even for people owning the DLC)

Yeah, it's frustrating - there's some good stuff in there which I'd love to add to a map I'm working on.

I've tried to add a DLC city state to the main game the old fashioned way by editing the XML files, but no dice - must have gotten lost in the architecture.
Even something seemingly as simple as adding city names for barbarians (Viking scenario has them) does not seem to work with world builder.

Even something seemingly as simple as adding city names for barbarians (Viking scenario has them) does not seem to work with world builder.

AFAIK, you can't change any city name in the world builder. I loaded a map of mine (.civ6map) with an SQL editor and changed it there. The CS city names could all be changed, however you need to change the name of the CS elsewhere, for diplomacy/CS screen.

AFAIK, you can't change any city name in the world builder. I loaded a map of mine (.civ6map) with an SQL editor and changed it there. The CS city names could all be changed, however you need to change the name of the CS elsewhere, for diplomacy/CS screen.

True, but what I tried to do was add a barbarian city to a map. In the standard rules, the barbarians actually do have one city name - Grokville.

<!-- Barbarians -->
<Row CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_BARBARIAN" CityName="LOC_CITY_NAME_GROKVILLE"/></CityNames>

In the Viking scenario, the barbarian city list is expanded to include historical city names.

<!--Barbarian -->
<Row CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_BARBARIAN" CityName="LOC_CITY_NAME_COLOGNE"/>
<Row CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_BARBARIAN" CityName="LOC_CITY_NAME_FRANKFURT"/>
<Row CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_BARBARIAN" CityName="LOC_CITY_NAME_MAGDEBURG"/>
<Row CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_BARBARIAN" CityName="LOC_CITY_NAME_MAINZ"/>
...etc...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but these barbarian cities function differently than city states, so they don't have and ties with the diplomacy/CS screen. I assumed that simply adding names to the list would do the trick.

Yet when I add barbarians as an AI player, and add their default Grokville to the map (or any added city), the game won't load.

Top Bottom