Translation Project

Sgt. Bears

Warlord
Nevermind Pointless
Original Post:
Spoiler :
This is a project with the end aim of completely translating the Dawn of Civilization Mod (Base Version). (to as many languages as we can :))
But since I only speak English I will need volunteers to do the actual translation. To start I will need to know how many people are willing to help (if any). If you wish to help please answer the following questions in a post.

1. What language you can translate.
2. How you wish to receive and return the files.
3. Whether you want to translate from my hopefully improved English version or from the Original.

If enough people are willing to help here are goals and instructions.

Goals:
Spoiler :
Translate the tags used when playing the game into other languages. This is so that the game is playable in those languages.
Translate the helpful Civilopedia texts such as how the UN and Apostolic Palace Works.
Translate the other pointless Civilopedia texts if people are willing.

How to open the texts:
Spoiler :
Download Notepad++​
Select all Files in the folder (depends how you want to receive the files) and select "Edit in Notepad++"​
Select any file open in Notepad++, right click and press "open in new instance"​
Click the small x beside the file you just opened so that the new notepad++ instance is blank​
Go to "Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Beyond the Sword/Assets/XML/Text"
and select all files in the folder, right click and select "Edit in Notepad++"​
Repeat with "Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Warlords/Assets/XML/Text" and "Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Assets/XML/Text".​

Now you have 2 Notepad++ instances with all original files and all the files to be translated. All Text tags in other languages that aren't in the Dawn of civilization text files can then be transferred from the original copies.

Translating Rules:
Spoiler :
Strategy and normal tags should be translated Sentence by Sentence.

Pedia Tags can be translated anyway you want. e.g. either by Sentences or by copy pasting Wikipedia.

All texts should use AD and BC (or language equivalent) because that is what is used in game.

When Copying Wikipedia remember to remove [1], [2], [3] etc.

Leaders Texts should go:
[h'1](in capitals, no apostrophe)Leader Name[/h'1][newline](in capitals)
[bold](in capitals)Title[/bold][newline]
[bold]Lived:[/bold] xxxx - xxxx BC/AD or xth century BC/AD (no exact dates)[paragraph:2](in capitals)
[bold]Background:[/bold][paragraph:1]
Text

Spacing rules:
All Pedia tags must have a [tab'](in capitals, no apostrophe) before the actual text.

Technologies, Civics, Regions, Civilizations and Leaders should use [paragraph:2](in capitals).

Units, Buildings, National Wonders, World Wonders, Corporations, Resources and Projects should use [paragraph:1](in capitals).

I could help translating to Indonesian, but beside me and Reus, I know no other Indonesian players here (and I've been here since v1.73) so the work will probably become pointless. Good luck on translating to other languages tho! You could start with Spanish, Dutch or Arabic; iirc they got some players here. German and Chinese already been translated.

I could help translating to Indonesian, but beside me and Reus, I know no other Indonesian players here (and I've been here since v1.73) so the work will probably become pointless. Good luck on translating to other languages tho! You could start with Spanish, Dutch or Arabic; iirc they got some players here. German and Chinese already been translated.

:blush: I just realized that there is no point translating since there is no big +10 community of any language (I think). I was just thinking of the people who said they would happily help translate in the old doc thread.
I don't believe the mod is in German cause Leoreth only translates half of the text files, unless there is a German forum.
Also if you want to play in Indonesian and you have an Indonesian base game translation then their isn't that many texts to change. Unless you want city names in Indonesian Script.

I can help translating to Belarusian but I don't know any other Belarusian players and even the base game isn't translated as far as I know.

Also if you want to play in Indonesian and you have an Indonesian base game translation then their isn't that many texts to change. Unless you want city names in Indonesian Script.

I'm more comfortable communicating using English rather than Indonesian, and there is no Indonesian base game translation as far as I know. Also, Indonesian language use Latin alphabet/script just like how we communicate now.

I translate to German whenever I think of it, but mostly to save the effort when I have time to do a proper translation.

It's great that you are willing to make the effort to improve these aspects, but for me that is another thing that is better done when the mod is mostly feature complete.

Writing and maintaining civilopedia entries and stuff.

I translate to German whenever I think of it, but mostly to save the effort when I have time to do a proper translation.
It's great that you are willing to make the effort to improve these aspects, but for me that is another thing that is better done when the mod is mostly feature complete.

I wasn't going to translate the civilopedia just the text files that come up while playing the game :). e.g. Congress, High Sea Fishing Boats, Pagan Temples. There aren't to many of these, so translating them shouldn't have been to hard.

I can help translating to Belarusian but I don't know any other Belarusian players and even the base game isn't translated as far as I know.
I'm more comfortable communicating using English rather than Indonesian, and there is no Indonesian base game translation as far as I know. Also, Indonesian language use Latin alphabet/script just like how we communicate now.
Translating the Mod is only easy in you have a base game translation. There are to many files to translate otherwise.:(

Indeed. While translating the game to any language is indeed possible, pretty much all the players here already possess a proficiency in English that kind of makes it a pointless endeavor.

Yet, if you want to go ahead and do it, because of the possibility of attracting more players from different background, then count me in.

You will need a Spanish/French/Italian translation, yes?

I can help translate Italian, as I have a pretty solid grasp on the language (though not quite fluent), but I'm aware that there are a lot of native Italians that play DoC and translating should probably go to them.

I can help translate Italian, as I have a pretty solid grasp on the language (though not quite fluent), but I'm aware that there are a lot of native Italians that play DoC and translating should probably go to them.

*whistles nervously*

Top Bottom