1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Translations - Brad?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Macintosh' started by Macintosh, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Macintosh

Macintosh Chieftain

Who has done the german translation?

It's funny, it's senseless, it's .. I don't know...

Just an example: If you are going to build a city, and you come with the mouse over the "build city" icon, the text which popps up is like (back translation into english): "Sacrifice your settler ...."

:wow: :dubious:

I shall sacrifice my settler... to which God .... ;)

2. von Tirpitz

von Tirpitz Chieftain

I actually noticed that one too. There are also some other "strange" translations in the german version..

3. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

The English version's no better ... it says "your settler will be consumed", I think.

Who's eaten my settler?

The quality of English in Civ4 seems to be no better than it was in Civ3, so I guess a German translation of bad English produces ... bad German.

4. Thierryr

Thierryr Chieftain

I'm planning to play it in French in my next game. I will let you know how it looks like. It is the first time I see a American game translated in several language out of the box. I wish there were more...
    Thierry

5. ColdFever

ColdFever blue

I don't think the original English texts are that bad. To "consume" and to "sacrifice" just have different meanings. There are much worse examples (in the Windows version and probably the Mac version too). For example in the info screen the "power" of an empire has been officially translated with "electricity". This is just what happens if
    translators do not play the game.

Unfortunately Take2 did not consider using the German community localization I prepared over months during development of the game, where I was trying to achieve "Office" quality. But Take2 agreed on offering it as a free download on civilized.de - where the latest version now can be found and the German community is able to leave improvement suggestions. But I am a pure Windows user, so I can't test and offer the German community localization for Mac, sorry.

In contrast to the official German Vanilla translation the official German Warlords localization looks good. It's obvious that the official Warlords localizers not only knew their job, but on top of that also did an extra effort in researching certain things. I can hardly do it better for the German community localization, so hopefully Take2 will keep their new localizers for the next Firaxis projects - and perhaps for Civ5 there will be no need for a German community localization anymore.

6. glendaadams

glendaadams Chieftain

All of the in-game text was translated by 2K/Firaxis, we use the same PC strings on the Mac.

Glenda

7. Macintosh

Macintosh Chieftain

Kai - wat machst Du denn hier ;)

Any idea whether your translations will also work on Macs or not?
    If so I will test it ...

8. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

English here, please, even if Firaxis can't quite get it right :p

9. ainwood

ainwood Consultant. Administrator

The other good thing is that the text has been taken out of "protected assets" - otherwise, people couldn't play locked-assets using civilized.de's german localisation.