Translators' Thread

The Doc

Time Lord
Just as the title of this thread indicates, this thread is meant for everyone having trouble with the translated terms and texts included in the BUG Mod. If you are unsatisfied with a translation and want to make a suggestion for a better one, you can post it here.

Besides this we are always searching for translators who are willing to translate BUG to their language. Current state of the translations is as follows:

Orphaned:

French - Mod: partly translated by Falc, needs some update; Help File: not translated

Spanish - Mod: not translated; Help File: not translated

Staffed:

German - Mod: fully translated by The Doc; Help File: fully translated by The Doc

Italian - Mod: fully translated by Cammagno; Help File: fully translated by Cammagno

the German translation of Civ4lerts/moreciv4lerts is horrible.

Examples:

"...wurde befriedet"
"...wird nächste Runde befriedet"

Also, it's still "Herrschaftssieg" instead of "Vorherrschaftssieg".

And the translation for the new features is missing.

I am convinced, The Doc has this in the next translation update.

As The Doc mentioned before, he releases after getting enough stuff to release, for not adding a new revision just for one translated word or sentence.

the German translation of Civ4lerts/moreciv4lerts is horrible.

Examples:

"...wurde befriedet"
"...wird nächste Runde befriedet"

Then make a suggestion for a better one. I think the transalation fits perfectly. After all the alert refers to a conquered city which is about to be pacified. And that's exactly what I translated.

I've never heard "befriedet" in German.

"hat sich beruhigt" or "hat Ruhe gegeben" sounds much better. "hat den Widerstand aufgegeben" fits best.

It's not pacified. The "Widerstand" is gone. The "Widerstand" in the head of the people. There were no people killed. Therefore: No pacification. ;)

My suggestion:

"Die Bevölkerung von 'city' hat den Widerstand aufgegeben." or "hat sich mit der Situation abgefunden".

and

"Die Bevölkerung von 'city' wird nächste Runde den Widerstand aufgeben." or "wird sich nächste Runde mit der Situation abfinden".

Or without "Die Bevölkerung von".

Don't be afraid to suggest new English phrases, too. I may be a native speaker, but sometimes even I wrestle with the best word to use. I chose pacified because "London is no longer under occupation" seemed too wordy, especially since it's still technically occupied. And if the city is under cultural pressure, you need to maintain a high level of occupation to avoid a revolt.

Pacified doesn't imply killing anyone, though that may be implemented. From tfd.com:

1. To ease the anger or agitation of.
2. To end war, fighting, or violence in; establish peace in.​

Note that this alert also applies when a city revolts due to cultural pressure. Again, occupation doesn't apply exactly. Suggestions?

The doc is now using the following, translated to English: The riot of 'city' will end/has ended (is over? I'm no native speaker :D).

I suppose riot could cover the cultural revolt, but it hardly covers military occupation after conquest. Rioting is what happens when thugs take advantage of civil unrest (looting, knocking over cars, setting things on fire).

Unfortunately, I don't think there's a way in Python to tell what caused the city to be in occupation mode.

Pacified doesn't imply killing anyone, though that may be implemented. From tfd.com:

1. To ease the anger or agitation of.
2. To end war, fighting, or violence in; establish peace in.​

Note that this alert also applies when a city revolts due to cultural pressure. Again, occupation doesn't apply exactly. Suggestions?

My suggestion is simple, and it is to put 'pacification' (I like it) instead of 'occupation' as label text: the advisor is not for occupation, it is for (pending) END of occupation, that is... pacification.
(BTW, I already did this for ITA).

please don't. the German word for pacification sounds horrible. :D

My suggestion is simple, and it is to put 'pacification' (I like it) instead of 'occupation' as label text.

I was originally going to do that for your reason but figured more people knew the word occupation. I've changed it though, as "Pending Occupation" makes no sense. :)

I didn't change the German translation for obvious reasons.

I've never heard "befriedet" in German.
It's a pefectly fine German word which can be used exactly in the circumstances where The_Doc used it. A Google search finds more than 40,000 instances of the word so if you really never heard it then I can only assume that you're not reading much, or at least not many political texts. Personally, I think that "befriedet" sounded far better than the new translation, which (imho) is unnecessarily contrived. If there is a word that fits (like "befriedet"), why not simply use it?

I mean, the fact that you regard the translation as horrible doesn't necessarily mean that all other Germans agree with your personal taste or style, does it?

"hat sich beruhigt" or "hat Ruhe gegeben" sounds much better. "hat den Widerstand aufgegeben" fits best.
I disagree. "Beruhigt" is a word that is often used to describe a situation, or a person's state of mind, but it's only very rarely used as an attribute of a city. You'd usually say "Die Lage in Stadt X hat sich beruhigt", not "Stadt X hat sich beruhigt". You can do a Google search for the term to verify that. The alternative you suggest ("hat den Widerstand aufgegeben") fits better, but is unnecessarily complicated imho.

It's not pacified. The "Widerstand" is gone. The "Widerstand" in the head of the people. There were no people killed. Therefore: No pacification. ;)
Pacification does not necessarily mean that people were killed. The German word "befriedet" doesn't imply killings either. I'm not sure where you got these connotations from?

"Die Bevölkerung von 'city' hat den Widerstand aufgegeben." or "hat sich mit der Situation abgefunden".
I think that both suggestions are unnecessarily long. I'm a huge fan of efficiency in UI messages. If something can be said with two words ("wurde befriedet"), then I don't see how saying the same thing with a sentence that is three times as long would be an improvement.

As a side note, I don't claim that just being German makes me a perfect translator. However, in your posts it seemed that you're attacking a perfectly valid translation based on your personal taste ("horrible") instead of using objective criteria to judge it, so I felt the need to put that into perspective. No offense intended.

Befriedung
völkerrechtliche Verpflichtung, in bestimmten Teilen des Staatsgebiets keine militärisch-kriegerischen Maßnahmen vorzunehmen oder zu dulden. Der ältere Sprachgebrauch nannte dies auch Neutralisation. Während die Demilitarisierung nur das Verbot der Errichtung militärischer Anlagen und der Stationierung von Truppen zum Inhalt hat, geht die Befriedung als Untersagung aller Kampfmaßnahmen weiter. Andererseits muss ein befriedetes Gebiet nicht entmilitarisiert sein.

I don't think we have Befriedung/Pacification here. It's simply temporary angry population cause of the occupation force. Could someone please translate this to English?

Edit: And guess what's the icon's name: "ICON_OCCUPATION" :p

The English people of London are merrily going about their business when the Aztecs land tanks on the nearby shore. The tanks storm the city, kill off all the defenders, and occupy the city. The people in the city--while not able to fight back--are still quite hostile to the troops. They must be pacified so the troops can leave the city without fear of revolt.

So the city is under occupation in order to pacify it. Which word to pick? Given that the alert tells you that the city will be and has been X, I feel pacified works better for X than unoccupied. Further still, the occupation will probably need to continue to keep the city from revolting. It's only the disorder that ends.

As an aside, you can't go off the programmer's names for things. As an example, AIs will stop giving you techs if you've received too many techs already. It's called being a TECH_WHORE in the code, but that would imply that you've sold too many techs (or any at all, really).

I don't think we have Befriedung/Pacification here. It's simply temporary angry population cause of the occupation force. Could someone please translate this to English?
The quote you provided (from wissen.de, I think, you unfortunately didn't specify your source) defines the use of the word "Befriedung" in the judicial context of international law. This definition necessarily neglects all other uses of the word, because jurisdiction requires clear-cut, non-ambiguous definitions. As a result, legal definitions are usually badly suited for questions about language - you'd consult a dictionary for that, as Emperor_Fool already did (just follow the link he provided).

In terms of language, pacification (and "Befriedung" as well) simply means that a state of non-peace has been transformed into a state of peace. Imho this is perfectly suitable as a description of a situation where riots (caused by an occupation) have ended and the city is now at peace again.

Hi. I'm here to announce that I'm translating BUG to spanish, so I will make some questions as I need to.

Cool stuff. :goodjob: Oh, and don't bother about the huge text masses in "Strategy1_CIV4GameText.xml", "Strategy2_CIV4GameText.xml" and "TraitsPedia_CIV4GameText.xml". They don't need to be translated. The other files containing option names and their hovers are more important. :D
Are you using the files from SVN (instructions here: click)?

Top Bottom