1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Treasure Fleet - 4X strategy game set in the Age of Discovery

Discussion in 'Other Civ-Related Games' started by DragosP, Apr 21, 2019.

1. DragosP

DragosP Chieftain

Hello everybody !

I want to announce that a project of mine that started as a hobby, a game I have been working on for a long time, is nearly finished.
    The game is a single player, isometric, turn based strategy, set in the Age of Discovery.
    It is currently in beta testing, as most of the game mechanics have been finished.

Here is a presentation movie, and you can visit the game homepage to find some more details and screenshots.

http://treasurefleetgame.com/

Blake00 likes this.
  2. DragosP

DragosP Chieftain

Blake00 likes this.
  3. PiratesGold

PiratesGold Chieftain

Thanks for this! It looks like it's going to be fun.
    Three things at first glance.

1. Problem.
    The tutorial is accessible only on the first time the game is played. After that, there appears to be no way to re-read it or refer to it.
    The only way to see it again is to uninstall and re-install the game.
    So I would recommend adding something (both on the opening menu and in-game) to click on which would access the tutorial.
    Particularly since it is a well-done tutorial.

2. Suggestion.
    Enable moving by the direction pad in addition to the mouse.
    Most people who will enjoy your game are used to doing that from Colonization.

3. Suggestion.
    When all units are out of movement points, have the End Turn button flash, or turn red, or somehow indicate this situation.

4. DragosP

DragosP Chieftain

Hi and thank you for your feedback!

1. You can press F1 on map view to bring back the tutorial window. There should be a tooltip on the close tutorial button that mentions it. There is also a .txt file in the game folder with all the keyboard shortcuts.

2. This is already implemented. Maybe you had Num Lock turned off?

3. This is a good idea, I'll add it to the TODO list.

5. Blake00

Blake00 Warlord Supporter

Ooooohhhh.. I found your project last year and did a preliminary tribute to it on my under construction Civ/Col site. So great to see its reached release stage!!! Can't wait to try it!! :)

6. DragosP

DragosP Chieftain

Thanks !
    :hatsoff:

7. Lord Shadow

Lord Shadow General

I just found out about this, and it took me a bit by surprise. It looks good and I hope you'll keep polishing it! How moddable is it, graphics or otherwise?

Also, you really need to get word out there. Write to blogs like Rock Paper Shotgun or Kotaku, to get some coverage on the game perhaps. Just 3 reviews (on Steam, yes, it's on Steam) over a month and a half after release leads me to think Treasure Fleet is flying really under the radar.

8. Blake00

Yeah not enough people know about this game! More often than not game programmers are the worst promoters of their hard work (no offense Drago haha). I didn't even know he had a steam page but thanks to you I've found it. Drago really needs to get out there hitting lots of Civ/Col/MoM/Orion/4x strat/retro gaming and off topic forums, fb groups and reddit groups talking about his game and post some screenshots and videos. If he doesn't then I guess I will eventually but often by the time I get to these things the dev has long given up and moved on lol.

I'm currently in the process of doing some Colonization tribute videos and will definitely tribute Drago's work. Have also just created a Colonization facebook group which I hope will expand to a big community like my Master of Magic & Starflight fb groups have. I can then use it as a platform for promote great Colonization scenarios, mods and fan games like Drago's. But that's going to take some time and effort!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  9. DragosP

DragosP Chieftain

Thank you for your comments. You are right, I did zero marketing for the game, and I kind of expected it to be an obscure presence even on Steam. Truth is, I hate doing marketing. I made the game mostly for fun, so I did not expect to make profit out of it. Of course, a little more visibility and positive feedback would give me motivation to keep improving it.

It should be very moddable. Most game parameters are in text files (csv, ini), and the the graphics both for UI and units/terrain are in png files that can be modified.

Lord Shadow and Blake00 like this.
  10. Lord Shadow

Lord Shadow General

That's excellent.

And yeah, do get out there and do at least a couple of waves of promotion around like-minded online locations. Engage with would-be players and they may well end up promoting the game for you. Colonization is a well-loved game, and I'm certain there's a demand for an active spiritual successor within circles like this one.

11. DragosP

DragosP Chieftain

If anyone is interested, I have several Steam keys to offer, just contact me by PM.

Blake00 likes this.
  12. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Deity

Bought. I'll give it a try.

DragosP and Blake00 like this.
  13. gunnerxtr

gunnerxtr King

Downloaded the demo... looking forward to giving this a go

DragosP likes this.
  14. Blake00

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019 at 1:23 AM