Treating our new Mongol pets 1872

Kev

Hired Goon
Well, Operation Overhorde has concluded. We have a single pet Mongol city of Naples, and we need to discuss the treatment of our pets.

1. What shall we do with the city. It is landlocked, but has a nearby lake. It has ZERO improvements and an alpine troop for defense and a rifleman somewhere about. It is building an engineer and it is size 3. Some roads around.

2. At what point (if any) shall we start to feed them techs? Remember, the purple civ is our key civ (I THINK - assuming it holds true even after some civs are destroyed). Beware: they can still trade with others.

3. Shall we rename the city of Naples? A spy can look into the city and change the name at will. We can call it The Genghis Pen or Mongol Madness or whatever you'd like. Fun.

Please all give your thoughts.

If we want to completely surround it, we can build forts and occupy each one with troops, or we can just have a couple spies sentried circling it and buy anything it builds and moves out of the city.

We should start gifting Techs right now. They only have contact with us and the Romans. The Romans only have contact with us and the Mongols. So, the Techs won't go anywhere else. The only reason to not do it right now is if we think the last Roman city will be able to do anything with the techs. BTW, I think we should just load up a spy and go buy the last Roman city ASAP.

And, yes, as long as our power is 'supreme' purple is our key civ.

BTW, Screenshot of Naples.

Wait how can the Romans have contact with the Mongols only? Weren't the Romans the ones giving techs to everyone else??

And hey cool I didn't realise you could rename cities when investigating with a diplomat/spy :goodjob:

If you are going to surround it with units in fortresses, maybe you should put two to a square?

Isn't it a bug that allows you to do that?
Never mind - I think it'd be funny to do so fire away! :)
As for names, how about Khan Kennels or Purple Pet?

In addition to surrounding the city with our units, I'd like to build some cities on each side so that they never get the chance to escape and found more worthless Mongol slums. It'd be ideal if we can steal as many of their squares as possible to leave them with no chance of growth whatsoever. :nya:

About naples:

At the very start of the next turn, click on the nearby Engineer making the RR and move it (with a spy for ZOC) to the Wheat square, and hit Fortress. This engineer is in a "precharged" condition (unfinished work), and should have one day's work precharged. Since it takes two days' work to make a Fortress, you'll get an "instant" fortress if you interrupt him before the RR is completed on this turn. :D

Anyway, the wheat is within 3 squares of a friendly city (Kazan). Bring in an Alpine troop to defend the fortress (no unhappiness due to being away!), and a Howie... the cut loose... blast the city every time the city flag pops up (meaning a new defender is in it). Oh yeah, I forgot we ahve spies... LOL.... just have a looksie in the city, hehe.

PS, don't blast it when it is size 1, however, to avoid killing the Mongol civ. This will keep the Mongols on a leash (hmmm... corresponds to the the "pet" analogy, eh?) until a friendly city can be made to take all the surrounding terrain. ;)

About the gifting... I agree with the Duke of Marlbrough's analysis. The Mongols are Allied with the Romans, who in turn are getting pummeled (only 2 meager cities left):

The English have no contact with either Mongols or Romans, and the Romans will soon be extinct.... so gift the Mongols everything. They can do nothing, neither can the Romans. Naturally, keep an eye on any possible English/Zulu near Naples by using spies or planes to look at the surrounding area of Naples each turn. And kill any English or Zulu that approach. The Mongols will be incapable of seeking them out. :lol:

About techs, the Mongols have 7*9+1=64 techs (from the Science Advisor)... and we have 9*8+6=78 techs. Our science cost should drop from 4*722=2888 to somewhere about 2,300 or 2,400 beakers (estimated).

So the above is pretty much a good way to contol our purple pets and give us much cheaper science ;), as well as my thought process about just how to do it! :cool:

EDIT: Add Pix.

It's a good idea to put units around Naples until two cities are build to completely surround them. A fort with defending and offensive unit is a good idea, a spy looks if there is a unit and if so the offensive unit kills it. That should keep them busy. ;)

To be honest, I don't even think that we need worry about them building units. Once we have them surrounded and a couple of mechs in fortresses (just one in each - we can't be bribed ;)) then we needn't destroy anything they may build. It would be much less effort to just leave them and ignore them. If we sleep the mechs then they can wake up if they try to get a settler out, but I plan to reduce them to so few usable squares that they will have trouble even building a settler, let alone supporting one. :)
Since they are landlocked then they won't be going anywhere fast and the city will shrink pretty soon. I want to put one city on the plains above the shielded grassland and the forests and the other on one of the two plains squares below the bigger lake. This will leave Naples with its city square and the roaded plains square next to the wheat - just enough food to keep them in the game but without the capacity for any growth whatsoever. :)
A dastardly plan, I'm sure you'll agree! :satan:

*Kev puts pinky finger to corner of mouth* That is a wonderfully EEEEVIL plan.

Does anyone wish to poison the water to shrink them right now, or let them erode slowly - being digested over the course of 10,000 years?

Do not risk losing a Vet spy with a water poisoning... vets are too valuable elsewhere. But a water poisoning can be a great way to make a non-vet into a vet ;).

Duke you sneaky devil you!

Originally posted by Ren
Wait how can the Romans have contact with the Mongols only? Weren't the Romans the ones giving techs to everyone else??

Up until a little while ago the Romans had Marco Polo. Once we captured that, it reverted them to only the Civs they had contacted on their own.

About techs, the Mongols have 7*9+1=64 techs (from the Science Advisor)... and we have 9*8+6=78 techs. Our science cost should drop from 4*722=2888 to somewhere about 2,300 or 2,400 beakers (estimated).

Yep. I got somwhere around 2,300. :)

Originally posted by duke o' york
(just one in each - we can't be bribed

Doh! I forgot about Democracy having advantages! :p

Originally posted by duke o' york
I want to put one city on the plains above the shielded grassland and the forests and the other on one of the two plains squares below the bigger lake. This will leave Naples with its city square and the roaded plains square next to the wheat - just enough food to keep them in the game but without the capacity for any growth whatsoever.

How despicably evil! I love it! ;)

Originally posted by Kev
*Kev puts pinky finger to corner of mouth* That is a wonderfully EEEEVIL plan.

Come, Mr Bigglesworth!

:D

OK, quick question. If the Mongols ask us to leave "their" territory and we refuse, does the government fall?

Ren: Where did you get that picture of me?? :)

BTW, from my GOTM 16 pet...

Sioux: "Heeeelllp! I've shrunk and I can't get it back up!!!"

:lol:

That is exactly the sort of thing I meant! :goodjob:

The only trouble with my plan would be that Naples would have access to 2 shields from each of the plains squares so they would be able to produce a little but we could always just buy up any troops they might be able to build. It would take them forever to build it though :D.
The removal of units in their territory won't cause government collapse if we do it cleverly - ie, remove them and then stick them back next turn. The AI will be satisfied that your troops have gone and then not bother you for a while. Even if something incredible happens and we do have a government collapse, then we have got the Statue (a very kind donation from Livia) and can reinstate our government quickly afterwards. It is a pain when collapse happens though. :(

Top Bottom