1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Trial Poll: People vs. Chieftess, Part V

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Demo Game II: Polls' started by FortyJ, Feb 18, 2003.

?

What is your verdict?

Poll closed Feb 21, 2003.
  1. Guilty

9 vote(s)
    40.9%
  2. Innocent

9 vote(s)
    40.9%
  3. Abstain

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. FortyJ

FortyJ Deity

President Chieftess has been charged with violating this law. How do you find?

Please vote Guilty,Innocent, or Abstain. This poll will remain open for 72 hours.

Charge: Violation of CoL.D.1.D
    Code:
    [b]Code of Laws[/b]
    [b]D.[/b] The Legislative Branch
        [b]1.[/b] The Senate (Governors)
            [b]D.[/b] A governor organizes the tile use in his [SIC] province.
    The entire quote and relevant discussion can be found here.

2. Octavian X

Octavian X is not a pipe.

Because this poll is tied, I will wait for the rest of the judiciary to return to decided on Chieftess' guilt or innocence.

Octavian X
    Chief Justice Pro-Tem of Fanatika

3. FortyJ

FortyJ Deity

I have received private messages from both Octavian and Naervod concerning this issue. Since their votes are split, it falls to me to decide this case.

I apologize for not responding sooner, but real-life events have prevented me from posting. However, I have reviewed the charges and the evidence presented and am now ready to render a verdict.

CoL-D-1-D relates directly to the organization of laborers inside the cities within the respective province. The governor has the right and responsibility to organize the laborers as he or she sees fit, with few exceptions.

As I see it, there are, at most, three reasons that would justify changing the allocation of laborers within a city: 1) governor's instructions, 2) council over-ride, and 3) an automatic readjustment due to a change in size (growth or starvation). (I'm not entirely sure if this is even a possibility, but I figured I'd include it, just in case...)

I can find no evidence of a council vote to change the allocation of laborers in the city of Kuhkaff. I am also unsure if the city of Kuhkaff has grown during the time in question. However, it seems clear that if the governor's instructions had been implemented in 1130AD as requested in the appropriate instruction thread, the city should not have grown at all.

So, while there are no instructions with respect to laborer organization for Kuhkaff in the 1170AD (before and after GL) threads, there are clear instructions in the 1130AD instruction threads. Since there was no council vote on the issue and the city did not (or at least, should not have) grown or shrunk during the time in question, it seems clear that Chieftess acted negligently with respect to the organization of Kuhkaff's laborer force.

I therefor, find the defendent guilty of this charge. The appropriate sentencing poll will be posted within 24 hours.