1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Tribal Warfare - Game

Discussion in 'Civ4 - PitBoss Games' started by KingMorgan, Nov 24, 2009.

1. 2metraninja

2metraninja Defender of Nabaxica

Maybe the game crashed. I was in when lost connection and was unable to log in again.

2. Niklas

Niklas Fully Functional GOTM Staff

Game is still down, despite me talking to Morgan on MSN about it. Whazzup?

3. 2metraninja

Civstats says Morgan logged in, played and finished turn after we was dropped.

4. 2metraninja

I was able to join, but I was dropped again before finishing my turn. Currently the game is not responding.

5. Niklas

Niklas Fully Functional GOTM Staff

I've played my turn now, and the game should be up.

6. Amask

Amask Oogala Boogala

Can't connect.

7. Amask

Amask Oogala Boogala

Managed to connect.

Here's the save from after my turn in case dva will want a reload. I did most of my stuff while paused so there's 30 minutes left on the timer on the save.

8. 2metraninja

I'll live with that. let the game moves on.

9. slaze

slaze Deity

sure is rough. getting booted out 3-4 times before I can finish my turn. definately not ideal

10. KingMorgan

KingMorgan Deity

Rebooted server.

11. Elkad

Elkad Emperor

Can't connect
    Edit: The port changed to 2056 (default) - works there

12. KingMorgan

KingMorgan Deity

Thanks Elkad, due to another game finishing this game will be on: kmbts.no-ip.org

13. dick76

dick76 Chieftain

Unfortunately I can not log into the game in the morning, which means my summer time 7 hours.

14. dick76

dick76 Chieftain

oh, because I do not know English well, I'm not well understood Morgan, 2metra well that helped me and I managed to play the course.

15. Elkad

Elkad Emperor

can't connect to this game or Duel

Edit: Appears I can't get to a good chunk of the internet actually. So the problem is likely on my ISPs end.

16. Elkad

Elkad Emperor

Well that was pretty game-ey..

Gifting a city to your ally for a single turn, who upgraded a huge pile of his units, and then gifted it right back. Avoiding a several turn walk to his own territory and back, and putting me facing a huge pile of Industrial-Era troops all of a sudden (Maces to Infantry).

I know in several games (everything at TG at least) we have rules against temporary gifting of cities. Scanning thru 8 pages here doesn't reveal any game rules at all....

So I'm going to ask our host and/or the other players in the game.. Is this permitted? Can we expect to see the city with Mausoleum and/or Cristo Redentor getting handed around every time someone wants to start a GA or change civics?

17. 2metraninja

I asked once the host about peace - gifting cities and he did not said anything at all, but I restrained myself, as I dont feel it is right.

18. Amask

Amask Oogala Boogala

EDIT: here I was being an idiot and a jerk. Summarized in the line below.

You saw the first city swap and didn't complain. Are you now complaining that I gave the city back?

Also, stack was mostly rifles, not maces. Another omission of fact to make this seem more gamey. Way to be objective.

19. Elkad

Elkad Emperor

I don't even know what you are referring to there? What previous conversations?

Right. Gifted for a turn, vs a fraction of one.
    I didn't complain on the prior turn because gifting a city permanently isn't a problem. Handing them back and forth for mutual advantage is.

As to rifles vs maces, what difference does it make? It was a mix of both, and you exploited a 1-turn city gift to upgrade the whole pile to Infantry and Machine Guns

I've got no problem with permanent gifts. That is a necessary diplomacy tool, for peace concessions, border shifting, etc.

Handing cities around willy-nilly is a whole different issue. Swapping for trait bonuses to building production. Swap for unit upgrades. Swap to share wonders (especially Mausoleum and BigJesus, but others as well). Swap ports to the Vikings for the free Nav bonus when building ships. Swap hammer cities around as different UUs come online. Etc Etc. It's cheesy as hell, which is exactly why it's specifically disallowed in a lot of games.

20. Amask

Amask Oogala Boogala

Ok, don't know why I thought you meant gifted and gifted back within a single turn. Apologies.

Some of these are indeed very cheesy, Mausoleum probably the most. I'm sure it would've been coded to extend GA by 1 turn for every 2 turns of GA that already passed with you controlling the wonder, had the designers thought of city swapping.

Others not as much, like gifting cities to Vikings to build ships for you. If they're your ally, why is that so cheesy?

Swapping hammer cities for UU production seems cheesy, whole empires suddenly turn English to produce redcoats? Doesn't seem right.

Swapping for trait bonuses? There are disadvantages that, without first hand experience, suggest to me that it'd be useless (maintenance, possible lack of trade routes -> resource loss, no access to full BFC for at least a turn, loss of culture in tiles, loss of overflow unless you got that to be minimal for both swaps, different religion -> possibly no OR bonus, potential problems - though unlikely - with different happy/health cap). I might be wrong though since I've never done it and this is just speculation. Have you done it or seen it done? Was it useful?

Swapping a city to do unit upgrades? Doesn't seem all that cheesy to me. Why does it matter who has the city in the end? If I were to end up with it, I can just give the previous owner the resources I now have and the commerce I get. And if he really wants it, I can build things for him with my new extra production. Giving it back just makes things easier. There's also the disadvantage of losing culture in tiles. The tiles next to the city are now yours, they weren't before the swap.