1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Tribe meets white people for the first time

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by TheLastOne36, Jan 1, 2012.

1. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Deity

"Tribe on Papua New Guinea meets white man for the first time. Filmed in 1976. The reactions of Fear, intrigue, and joy are amazing to witness."

From 1976, but first time I've seen this video and wow. Thought this was worth sharing.

edit: Damnit, what's the point of the forum having an embed option if it doesn't work? Link

2. Quackers

Quackers The Frog

I had the same thing happen to me when I went to Scotland, these guys seem a lot more tame tho :p

3. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

The amazing thing is there are still uncontacted peoples to this day.

4. aronnax

aronnax Let your spirit be free

5. Midnight-Blue766

Midnight-Blue766 The filidh that cam frae Skye

Presumably they were only talking to Asians, Blacks, or First Nations before?

6. Princeps

Princeps More bombs than God

All I see is primitive people who don't know what the internet is.

Including the white guy, if you didn't catch the joke.

7. emzie

It's PNG. You can hike 10 miles and hear 3 languages as diverse as Basque, English and Korean.

8. Arwon

Arwon

PNG is weird.

9. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Deity

Disagreed. It's a masterpiece of human evolution of society, culture, language and genes.

10. Joecoolyo

Joecoolyo 99% Lightspeed

i.e. weird

11. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

12. Mr. Dictator

Mr. Dictator A Chain-Smoking Fox

I saw this before, i believe. Didn't click the link, but I know I saw one dated back to the late 70s before.

Amazing that there are still people living in that manner. If there's any good use for drones, its to watch and study them.

13. luiz

luiz Trendy Revolutionary

Every decade or so we find another non-contacted tribe in Brazil. It's estimated that there are quite a few left.

I think the correct approach towards them is a good debate. The present policy is of non-contact, that is, to prevent contact with them at all costs. Personally I find that completely wrong. Is it really fair to withhold from them all the vast body of knowledge that mankind has produced? Is it fair to keep them in the dark on purpose, to prevent them from knowing that there is a vast, awesome universe out there? This not mentioning other concerns, such as access to modern medicine, and stop them from slaughtering each others, like the yanomamis do.

14. Leoreth

Leoreth Prince of Blood Moderator

Exactly. Buy their land with cheap alcohol instead.

15. holy king

holy king Deity

luis, what you name are positives of contact.
    there certainly are negatives and i guess it was decided that the negatives outbalance the positives.

16. luiz

I think about if it was me. If I had the misfortune of being born on an uncontacted tribe, I'd very much like to see civilization one day. To move beyond fear of losing most of my sons as babies, or dying myself from some trivial disease.

There are negatives to contact, yes, but the way I see it they might happen even if we don't contact them. Miners will probably find it easier to "get rid" of an uncontacted tribe than a contacted one, whose exact numbers are known and who can even call the authorities for assistence.

@Leoreth: Nobody would bother to even give them alcohol. It's not the 16th Century anymore, when sheer numbers meant that the Portuguese had to do business with the indians. Nowadays if an uncontacted tribe runs into diamond smugglers they will just get shot. No booze or shiny mirros.

17. PacoDeth

PacoDeth Chieftain

18. emzie

Avoiding contact at all cost is one of the most patronizing policies westerners have. There's this myth that life is better without the hardships of modern society, that people were more in tune with nature... blah blah blah. That's a lovely sentiment when a kid is dying of an infection and the anitbiotics that could save him are being kept from him for his own good.

Of course, there's an extreme in the other direction.

IIRC, Brazil has a policy of covertly monitoring uncontacted peoples, figuring out how to set up a situation where the tribe approaches them under controlled circumstances to prevent misunderstandings and the spread of disease. You know, observe from a distance and try and learn a bit of the customs and language. Follow this up with clues that there are new people in an area, and allow the tribe to come to you if they wish. This allows them to maintain their ways if they so wish, but gives them access to modern society's protection and help if they need it (kid dying of infection, illegal miners / loggers / smugglers / whatnot).

19. luiz

Exactly, it's patronizing and objectively wrong.

Kinda. The Brazilian government knows where the uncontacted tribes are, and sets up reservations around them (there's one reservation in Rondônia where only 11 individuals are thought to live at!), but the official policy is to not let them know that there are civilized people around them.

Of course, by having closed down reservations the government offers them a modicum of protection against smugglers, miners and etc., but as far as medicine or preventing inter-tribal massacres go nothing is done.

My policy would be to approach them verey carefully (after studying their ways, what can be done with relative efficiency by studying neighboring tribes that have been contacted), letting them know that there are medicines and all sorts of electrical devices that can make their lifes easier, and leave the choice up to them.

Diseases are a concern, but not as huge as it might seem: even the tribes that never saw a white person have been exposed to their germs (that's why many Amazonian tribes were wiped out before being reached by the Portuguese).

20. Lord of Elves

Lord of Elves Suede-Denim Secret Police

I love that bit. My favorite part is the television programs that send camera crews to tribal villages, stop in and talk about how they want to preserve the "unique lifestyle" and "historic legacy" of the people, as if they're some kind of quaint relic in a museum display case. Meanwhile, you can just imagine at least several of the kids on camera will die prematurely from a disease that could easily have been prevented with modern medicine.

:cringe: