1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Tribes: Ascend Closed Beta

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by cardgame, Feb 18, 2012.

1. cardgame

cardgame Sensual Kitten

I'm kind of surprised nobody else has brought this up already.

Tribes: Ascend is currently in production by Hi-Rez studios, who came out with Global Agenda in 2010. Apparently, there's a much older series of Tribes games with which I am wholly unfamiliar.

Anyway, Tribes: Ascend is based on the Unreal 3 engine and is essentially a combination of Halo, Unreal Tournament and Battlefield :goodjob:

Very large maps, three game modes (Capture The Flag, Team Deathmatch, Hunt the Rabbit), 7 (I think) classes and I'm not sure how many maps there are, but at least 3 for Deathmatch alone. Dozens of weapons.

More importantly, the game is free, both for beta (duh) and after release. So far, there's no such thing as Pay to Win - the only use for gold is faster grinding or unlocking equipment or perks that is also unlockable via credits.

Here's the trailer:

Link to video.

And another trailer with more gameplay:

Link to video.

Here's the link to the game site: https://account.hirezstudios.com/tribesascend/

As you can see, physics plays a large part. The movement reminds me a bit of Armored Core; everyone has jetpacks and 'skis' which are essentially tiny antigrav doohickeys on players' feet that allow them to float over the ground. The tutorial is vastly more helpful to explain this :p

The game is approximately 3 gigs or less; not too shabby.

You can add me as a friend ingame, Cardgame, and hit 'Play with Friends' :)

2. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

The graphics do look pretty slick compared to the some of the screens from before. I played a bit of the early Tribes and I'd describe it as Unreal Tournament with jetpacks.

3. MobBoss

MobBoss Off-Topic Overlord

The original tribes games were great, and some of the mods for them were just outstanding. It was the first FPS game to utilize 'jump-packs' and you would get into the long and protracted one on one fights where the winner was usually the guy that could anticipate the others movement and landing point to a greater degree.

Multiplayer generally was capture the flag, or base attack/defense. There was also 3 classes of suit you could use (heavy, med, light) and each of those could be modified with all kinds of weapons or loadouts.

If this game can bring that kind of fun gameplay back, it would be well worth a look.

4. cardgame

cardgame Sensual Kitten

Yes, that's a pretty solid description you laid down right there. Check it out! Just don't expect the play to be extremely competitive, it's dastardly hard to coordinate movement and etc. as a team and there's very little chatter since everyone's busy flying around.

5. Double Stack

Double Stack Chieftain

A nice comparison to other games but it borrowed heavily on older version of the game. So in other words, all those games you referenced actually borrowed or used similar concept from Tribes series.

I played quite a bit of Tribes 2 and it was quite enjoyable. Deathmatch and base assault was far more fun than Halo, Battlefield and require a bit more teamwork to win it. In fact, I would personally put the fun factor of Tribes 2 over any other FPS games and looking forward to this one!

6. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

I like it, it is quite the opposite of most of the FPS games I've been playing (RO2, Project Reality and ARMA II...) and certainly a nice change from most of the FPS games being made these days.

I'd describe it as a Tribes game.

7. cardgame

cardgame Sensual Kitten

I described it as I did because I have had absolutely zero contact with the older series. I mean I had never heard of them at all until this game popped up out of nowhere.

8. cardgame

cardgame Sensual Kitten

:bump:

The game is in Open Beta status as of today, no beta keys required. Also new is a 900 MB patch featuring major items:

Less major improvements:

9. MobBoss

MobBoss Off-Topic Overlord

Well, the game itself was very well adaptable to single players in a mix as well as small teams because the maps were just so fricken big. The maps were just huge, and a team had to use both an overall strategy and individual/small unit tactics to win matches.

10. KaiserElectric

KaiserElectric Total Freakin Besties

Sorry to necro the thread, but the recent Tribes update added clan tags that we can purchase for a small amount of XP. I'm thinking the we should have a tag of our own to identify each other in the game. Maybe [CfC]?

11. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

Tribes Ascend is fun. Never played (or heard of) the old ones until this one came out. I like how, despite the size of the maps (which are huge), fast-paced the game is. Skilled use of skiing and jetpacks can get you across the map a hundred times faster than simple walking would.

I admit I suck at it somewhat. Shooting a moving target in most FPS isn't challenging, but if the target is moving insanely fast and you're standing still, good luck trying to hit them.

That's probably why I enjoy the MIRV Launcher so.

12. cardgame

cardgame Sensual Kitten

Yeah, juggernaut is without a doubt my favorite class. Getting to be decent at pathfinding too, though my skiing leaves something to be desired.

13. Mosher

Mosher Mushroom dad

This looks pretty neat. Downloading it now

14. KaiserElectric

So should we have a Tag for the members of our forum?

15. cardgame

cardgame Sensual Kitten

Go for it if you want to, I don't plan on shelling out money to HiRez...

16. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

I thought clan tags only cost XP.

I haven't played the game in a while (too lazy to update).

17. cardgame

cardgame Sensual Kitten

Meh, update it overnight :p

It's not that big.

18. KaiserElectric

You can get a tag for XP, less than every weapon in the game.

19. cardgame

cardgame Sensual Kitten

Really? From the way they worded the announcement it seemed to be a gold exclusive. I'll pick one up eventually then :)

20. remake20

remake20 :)

I didn't realize anyone of CFC actually played this game. I'll probably pick up a CfC clan tag sometime. I have some 70k XP and I have most of the weapons I want.

EDIT: I will also happily add anyone to my in-game friendslist if they want to play sometime.