1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Tried Civ V, went back to Civ IV, Should I try G&K?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by austincm, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Lay_Lay

Lay_Lay King

When 5 came out, it was lacking so many features and had so few things to do and so many balance issues, that it turned a lot of potential long term players away, many who never returned to give it another chance.
    Same thing happened with 4, though at a smaller scale.
    Anyone who likes a civ game, likes all the civ games. Those players who say I like 3 but not 4, or I like 5 but not 3... those people simply did not play long enough.

2. SouljahAtWar

SouljahAtWar Wasteland Souljah

Wait a sec. I went 5 and never returned to 4 (though with the mass amount of mods, I didn't have a lack of trying), but I disliked the slider system... oh GOD I loathed the slider system... it was like trying to type with two fingers in each hand... it was so tedious beyond all belief, I rather jump off the Empire State building and hope to catch my eyelid on a nail. I'm so glad that "feature" was gone. I'm glad I don't have to mess with that crap and tie everything to commerce. without it, I'm so glad I have money to actually upgrade and buy units, Civ5's system of removing that god-awful slider system was a vast improvement.
    Now that I got that vent out of my system, I can stop digressing. I don't think Civ 5 has a lack of features, just a change of strategy. Because I prefer the chess-strategy, I like 1upt. All they had to do is some balance issues with has been resolved, IMHO. Things are looking up for Civ 5, and because if it, I would never go back to previous games again... But I'll still play Civ 4.

3. michaeljhuman

michaeljhuman Chieftain

Tried to go back to Civ IV. Hated it. For me, that's all there is to that discussion. To other people, play the game you prefer :)

IMO, G&K is better than vanilla. I don't know that I would like going back to vanilla now.

4. TM Moot

TM Moot King

To the OP...yes, go for it.

Vanilla civ5 was pants, nigh on unplayable.
    Post numerous patches and G+K, civ5 is now worth investing time and money in.

5. mrt309

mrt309 Warlord

Tried Civ V, went back to Civ IV, tried G&K and gifted it to my nephew. Seriously, there is no way to play with broken diplo, tedious unit mm and wide/tall choice (i want both). The new expansion is my last hope otherwise i'm gonna keep playing Civ IV for another 6 years. In my opinion wait for the new expansion like i do.

Also i'm bored of companies trying to sell every little addition to a game. Look, what i made. A flying dragon unit. Let's sell it for 2,99 dollars. There is no spirit of good old days.