1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Triggered by Coolness

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Hygro, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

I read in a book that the founder or spiritual godfather of Al Qaeda came to America as a student for a better life, was never cool enough to hang with the free spirited liberal kids, resented his exclusion, decided that the modern western world was morally depraved and dedicated himself to antagonizing America with extreme violence.

There's a well known kid who looked good, drove nice cars, had money, decided to write a manifesto and murder a bunch of kids who was too wrapped up in his own head to engage/ask out/etc, after judging them all morally depraved.

I've seen it happen at parties, where people who aren't fitting in, mostly by virtue of not keeping up with the cooler, nicer, funner people around them, start getting really negative, complainy, judging, etc, and start bringing down the vibe. It's not intentional.

One could say the entire Reagan Revolution was such a reaction against the breakaway coolness of socially enfranchised plurality (indeed, their coolness leaving behind even those upper middle class conservatives with more money and power).

One could say (as comedian Jim Jeffreys does) that our drug laws are to ban drugs for all because of the few of us who can't handle our drugs, so as a society we don't leave them behind, leave them out, or pull them into behavior they can't manage.

There's a significant common problem where people who aren't "making the hang" or "can't hang" start causing destruction around them, often with the moral certitude that the free expression and liberatedness of the others is the evil, rather than engaging their own pain.

What do we do about these people?

Should we accept that we have to go at their pace? Do we tax ourselves and include them and massage them to wellness at great expense to being with people who can keep up and construct, freely, good times? How far should we limit ourselves?

Do we just assume a certain amount of terrorism and political backlash and live with that threat, and leave them to choose to heal themselves?

Do we meet them at their level and find ways to crush them in a show of force as they inevitably choose patriarchal ideologies based on submission to power?

Can this even be solved?

2. ulyssesSgrant

ulyssesSgrant Warlord

You should tax yourself and try to include them. You go out of your way to befriend them. You don't have to do it all the time, you can spend exclusive time with those you love hanging out with as well, but taking time to reach out to people struggling to fit in is always a good thing to do. You should befriending the lonely kid at the party.

As you alluded to, it's a downward cycle if you don't. People who feel excluded become negative and judgmental which only servers to push people further away and make them less fun to hangout with. Just like wealth you gotta redistributed that coolness, if you take some time to hangout and talk with someone who clearly isn't fitting in, that is going to give them more confidence, more freedom to express themselves, and make them a more interesting person to hangout with. Much like with money, the tax you put on yourself actually pays for itself. If you don't do it, like you said, then you can have a ruined party for everyone or possibly something far worse.

Not sure I buy the connection between coolness and liberal though.

3. Farm Boy

Farm Boy The trees are actually quite lovely.

Liberal is generally associated with more readily proffered intimate behaviors, but it's bumpkis. People of all types hang. The issue is free spirits can be low conscientious/empathy libertines within their adopted circle. Not always, but it's roundly functional.

ulyssesSgrant likes this.
  4. Narz

Narz keeping it real

What a bunch of horse****. Those who are "hanging"/"cool", status-quo, modern western consumerists are causing the destruction.not a few random misfits.

5. Senethro

Senethro Overlord

What? Do we need redistribution of twitter likes?

Estebonrober and hobbsyoyo like this.
  6. yung.carl.jung

yung.carl.jung Hey Bird! I'm Morose & Lugubrious

there is a very good "documentary" on the subject of Al Qaeda, and it specifically deals with the biography/psychology of the man @Hygro mentioned in the OP. It is called "The Power of Nightmares" and everyone should see it.

I would fully agree with this, actually. To make it even more direct. It is Narz and me and everybody on this forum and everyone who goes along with capitalism and consumerism who is directly responsible for the destruction of the world.

7. Narz

Narz keeping it real

The OP has more weird assumptions about human beings than a typical mouthwash post.

It's a weird dichotomy on one hand the SJW-"woke" crowd drones on about inclusivity but it's a fake cherry picked inclusivity hence the rise of the far-right including our current president.

8. ulyssesSgrant

ulyssesSgrant Warlord

Ideally we just wouldn't have twitter

9. Hygro

A lot of you are interpolating weirdly. I’m not talking about rich people and I’m not talking about people who hate on others for not being woke.

Indeed the latter being further examples of people who aren’t making the hang. I’m out and about on mobile I’ll explain later.

10. aelf

aelf Ashen One

I'm guessing Donald Trump was a cool enough kid back in his day, by the standards of his time. Is there a lesson to be drawn here?

11. Narz

Narz keeping it real

Be less vague and people will interpret better. What is "making the hang" and what does it mean to "crush" people who aren't "cool" enough? Tbh, the whole OP sounds very sinister and anti-freedom of thought/opinion/expression.

12. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

What the world needs now is love, sweet love

Birdjaguar and Hygro like this.
  13. Hygro

@Narz I think you’ll find in my “should we do this lists” I include a bunch of mutually contradictory options to incite conversation and if you find one of them threatening and evidence of my personal position you are trippin.

14. Peuri

Peuri Game

Much like body positivity, or the destigmatization of dyslexia, for example, into innate conditions, one could ask, is it the fault of uncoolness on the uncool themselves? Much like it is not the fault of the anxious that they are anxious, it's just the state of their body. Do the uncool lack innate and learned social skills, the ability to read other people's minds sufficiently, to go with the signs of coolness, do they lack the physical qualities deemed "cool" etc.? If it is so, then, is it not discrimination akin to ostracizing the handicapped, if uncoolness too results from states of the body and mind that are to an extent beyond their ability to control? Ultimately coolness is a social hierarchy and a test of the person's social skills, and perhaps physical qualities.

Hygro likes this.
  15. Narz

Narz keeping it real

Frankly I have no idea what you're talking about. You need to hire an editor or at least stop posting your first drafts.

All progress is made by people who challenge and expand "what's cool" not conform to it.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  16. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Polish Pudding

Hang 'em ? :D .... erm I mean teach them how to hang ?

17. Narz

Narz keeping it real

One of us, one of us... :borg:

18. ulyssesSgrant

ulyssesSgrant Warlord

Yes, @Hygro should hire an editor to review his posts on an internet forum because you are unable to understand them. Really expanding the borders of whats cool man #progress

Birdjaguar and Hygro like this.
  19. Narz

Narz keeping it real

Lol, do you understand wtf he's trying to say?

Valka D'Ur likes this.
  20. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

he's playing devil's advocate...or the chronic contrarian