Triggers for Government collapse

Trev

Prince
I was playing a game with a democratic government and fighting a lengthy war. About 30 turns into active continuous warfare, my government collapsed.

As war weariness was not particularly bad (30% luxuries was sufficient for majority of cities), I have fought wars that require 50% luxuries without collapse, and there was starvation only in captured cities because of the need for entertainers there ( but this is normal in any game ) , they were highly corrupt anyway, I did not expect the government collapse

I fight wars with high numbers of artillery to minimise army losses which keeps my war weariness down even during extended wars, but I do not wish to see government collapses, and so want to avoid it in future

My understanding is that if 1 of your cities remains in civil disorder for 3 turns or more, your govt. will collapse. The average happiness of your pop'n doesn't seem to matter, one city can send the whole lot crashing down...

Not 100% sure though, so I'd be interested if someone could confirm.

Cheers

Kello

Use the city governor to control citizen moods - it automatically takes care of those citizens that go from resisting to being unhappy because you're still at war with them -turns them into entertainers and starves the city down.
If you check the 'use as default for new cities' box, I think it'll take care of newly captured cities, so you don't have to put your whole civ under the control of the crazy city governors.

The 'use as default for new cities' thing is if the capital is using the governor. So you would have to have your capital using the governor, for all new cities to automatically have the governor take control.

War weariness is calculated by # of units you lose, cities you lose, and # of turns you end your turn in enemy territory. There are 3 levels of WW, and once you reach that 3rd threshold, your democracy will fail, no matter how much happiness you have. A republic never crashes at that 3rd threshold, but probably would require a large luxury rate. Haven't studied the '3 consecutive turns of disorder' thing, but that could be a cause.

you see that's why cummounism is good if they resist you beat them unconshusly lol

I did capture a city of size 18 and it is possible that it was in disorder for a number of turns as the resistance was crushed, maybe I reached the 3rd level of WW, but did not think it was that bad, anyway I will keep both things in mind for the future

If you're going to fight in a Democracy, your best bet is to make your military action fast and deadly. Dragging out a war for a long time under such conditions of disorder isn't pleasurable, for sure.

In this case, it was a sneak attack on me by a previous ally, and therefore took ten turns to mount an effective counterattack, and I lost 5 isolated towns in the meantime.

But after that period of time, my counterattack took towns and cities from him and I was making substantial gains using artillery to blast infantry to red and destroying with cavalry. It is an awkward period of a game to fight, cavalry against infantry, but necessary sometimes.

With government collapse I did make peace immediately on terms beneficial to me and after 20 more turns, I attacked on my terms and took 1 or 2 cities per turn untilpeace became necessary again, but I had about 15 more cities by them

Eventually destroyed him and gained a spaceship victory. On Emperor level I find Democratic government almost essential to provide the money to buy improvements and techs or to learn techs, I no longer use any other government once I learn Democracy, the lower corruption rates on Democracy are vital to winning the game and faster worker action extremely useful

How do you tell what level WW you are at? I hear people talking about the % of WW, but I have no clue how they can tell that.

I think the worst WW I ever got was one of my first games. Long extended overseas war. Everytime I'd make peace, the AI would break the deal and attack the next turn. Probably because I'd nuked him earlier in the game, there weren't any MA's or MPP's in effect, so that the only reason I could think of.

Anyway, after a few hundred years of a grueling war, my workers would try to run into the city while they had nothing to do. I had like 100 workers, and all they were doing each turn was cleaning up pollution and replacing roads on the one or two tiles the AI would bombard. They were all automated, and one turn, they tried to run back into the city...the Mech Inf guarding the city KILLED MY WORKERS.

It happened over and over again. Any time a worker left the city to clean up pollution or replace roads, my mech's would kill him when he tried to go back into the city. I've never seen it happen since, but I was laughing my butt off at the sight of it.

Originally posted by shadow2k
Anyway, after a few hundred years of a grueling war, my workers would try to run into the city while they had nothing to do. I had like 100 workers, and all they were doing each turn was cleaning up pollution and replacing roads on the one or two tiles the AI would bombard. They were all automated, and one turn, they tried to run back into the city...the Mech Inf guarding the city KILLED MY WORKERS.

It happened over and over again. Any time a worker left the city to clean up pollution or replace roads, my mech's would kill him when he tried to go back into the city. I've never seen it happen since, but I was laughing my butt off at the sight of it.

Wow! What a bug! That must be hilarious. Of course, friendly fire is a must in any war. :)

Originally posted by shadow2k

Are you playing with 1.07f? Sounds like you might need the latest patch. You can get them from the main civfanatics.com page.

Top Bottom