Trolls

Status
Not open for further replies.

elderotter

Otter King
I state this here because I don't want to add to the thread of any troll: the best way to deal with trolls is to not post on their thread. They are attention seekers, any attention good or bad is what they seek. If you don't post on thier thread the thread sinks quickly to page 2 and out of sight.
there will always be some who can't resist but lets show we are mature posters and le t the troll threads die for lack of oxygen. They always include an interesting trinket of info just as good liars always include truth in their lie.
I say Don't Feed the Trolls - give them no attantion at all and most of them will fade away. Of course the more obvious ones get taken care of by the Moderators, God bless 'em.

thanks - unfortunately this thread is not going to be well addressed and it will sink quickly out of sight lol too much truth is worse than too little. Sad but True.

Also add the trolls to your ignore list, so you don't have to see there posts. I just added one to mine after reading his thread, there is no point in reading some people's posts!

What's the definition of a troll? Is it someone who knowingly gives wrong information, or is it just any old spammer? And what about people who just want to lighten up the mood with a bit of silly humour?

Do trolls turn to stone when exposed to sunlight?

Willowmound said:
What's the definition of a troll? Is it someone who knowingly gives wrong information, or is it just any old spammer? And what about people who just want to lighten up the mood with a bit of silly humour?

Do trolls turn to stone when exposed to sunlight?

Weirdly enough, trolling (the internet version) comes from a term meaning "to fish by trailing a line" from a boat, or trolling for fish. Someone who gives wrong information knowingly is probably counted as a troll, but it's pretty much someone who posts in order to get a rise from others. There are probably more names and meanings for troll like posters I haven't been on message boards long enough to pick up, though.

And yes, sunlight does turn trolls into stone. If we could just figure out a way to send sunlight through the internet...:)

In the last couple of days I think I have run into about all of them, too, lol.

But I agree, ignore them. Maybe even post please "Ignore this guy he is a known troll" when those people make new posts, and ignore anything they throw back at you.

So a troll thread would be what? "Subject: all civers sit down to pee"? I haven't seen many of those, not enough to feel they are a problem anyway... I have seen people accused of being trolls for starting threads I thought were completely legitimate, though.

EDIT: responding to Mongoloid Cow. Three people posted while I was writing this!

I know there is an opportunkity here somewhere, but it eludes me tonight....

Willowmound said:
So a troll thread would be what? "Subject: all civers sit down to pee"? I haven't seen many of those, not enough to feel they are a problem anyway... I have seen people accused of being trolls for starting threads I thought were completely legitimate, though.

EDIT: responding to Mongoloid Cow. Three people posted while I was writing this!

That's something to pay attention to. There are going to be new posters posting things that don't make sense, seem ridiculous, or have been repeated approximately 3*10^34 times. I've seen it before when other games have come out, and I'm sure many of you have too. A lot of them aren't trolls, they just don't know any better. We can't be too quick to judge. Hopefully we won't see many borderline trolls.

Re my earlier post, case in point: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=132222

Here's a guy (hclass) who airs some (well, quite a few) thoughts on possible negative issues with Civ4. The first respondent calls him a troll. The call is taken up again further down. How in the blazes could this be considered a troll thread? Not only are his points valid (he admits it is all speculation), but he is also a well known CFC poster.

Ridiculous.

Oh, and now it appears to be closed.

Judge not lest ye be judged, by the looks of it anyone can get labelled troll these days...

If they're any good, you'll never know you've been trolled.

Willowmound said:
Oh, and now it appears to be closed.

Judge not lest ye be judged, by the looks of it anyone can get labelled troll these days...

Well the trouble comes when you post just to deliberately cause trouble and rile people up. He had a thread up a few days ago on almost the exact same subject, and it was quite obvious that he had no desire for rational discussion, which is really the point of a forum. Plus as you can see looking at the last post he probably wrote something really nasty and they deleted it.

BTW, I say do judge, and judge well, lest others pass judgement for you.

-NE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom