Troopergate Verdict:Palin abused powers, broke no laws

Obama used his pork requests to get a job for the fence-builder for that hotel. A real Watergate-gate-gate.

Meh. This whole thing was over an irresponsible, dangerous, corrupt cop. While she may not have acted perfectly, I don't see this as a "personal interest" thing - she didn't take a bribe, or act corruptly. She sacked an abusive law enforcement officer who deserved to be dismissed.

No, she sacked his boss, partially because he wouldn't fire her brother-in-law.

Todd seems to be the hatchet man. She did break the law, not in the firing of Monegan, but in having Todd pressure Monegan to fire her ex-brother in law. This is an impeachable offense, we'll see what happens.

I think the most truthful and accurate way of putting this all into one sentence would be to say: She did the right thing for the wrong reasons.

Now if I was an American would this sway my vote? A little. Any hope I had of her being any different than any other typical politician that I don't trust just went out the window.

The McCain campaign on Thursday issued its own report, written by its staff, stating that the Alaska governor was not guilty of any wrongdoing.

This is like something out of Putin's Russia. This is essentially saying 'The Czar clears herself of wrong-doing'. Great theater...if it weren't so sadly real.

Again, who is supporting these thugs?

I think the most truthful and accurate way of putting this all into one sentence would be to say: She did the right thing for the wrong reasons.

Now if I was an American would this sway my vote? A little. Any hope I had of her being any different than any other typical politician that I don't trust just went out the window.

No. She did the wrong thing for the wrong reasons. She abused her power to pressure a government official to fire a low level employee in order to further her personal vendetta. Whether the trooper actually deserved to be fired or not is irrelevant. Had he not personally pissed off the Palin family, his case would have been handled the same way all cases are, by his immediate superiors or by the head of his department.

The Palin's intrusion in this matter is nothing more than blatant abuse of power to carry out a petty vendetta. Yet another sign in a long list of signs that she is thoroughly unfit for office.

No. She did the wrong thing for the wrong reasons. She abused her power to pressure a government official to fire a low level employee in order to further her personal vendetta. Whether the trooper actually deserved to be fired or not is irrelevant. Had he not personally pissed off the Palin family, his case would have been handled the same way all cases are, by his immediate superiors or by the head of his department.

The Palin's intrusion in this matter is nothing more than blatant abuse of power to carry out a petty vendetta. Yet another sign in a long list of signs that she is thoroughly unfit for office.

You missed my point. I wasn't making it obvious though I guess. The statement I was trying to make was one that both sides could possibly grudgingly agree with.

How do I personally feel about what she did? Re-read your own quote above to see that. What do I think about it compared to the larger picture? Business as usual for a politician in the larger picture. Which is what makes it sad.

What was the "right thing" that she was doing? IIRC, part of the finding was that the allegations of abuse against the former brother-in-law didn't have any standing.
If this was 20 years in her past and she had a record of other accomplishments to off-set it, to show this was a blip on the radar, then fine. But its not. Its one of the more noteable and recent things in her short tenure to date.

She should be removed as the VP candidate. Of course, much too late to do so.

She should be removed as the VP candidate. Of course, much too late to do so.

That's actually my feeling on this. But I knew as soon as I heard about this that this would be the case and in a week or two a majority of people won't care about this.

That's what makes me sad about politics and politicians. You can't trust any of them. Yet when one does/will show up we'll all be too disenfranchised to give a damn or believe them. Maybe i'm just too cynical?

So they also said that she was being dishonest with the public when questioned about it, so will we see Palin continue her attacks vis-a-vis Ayers? Kinda hard to remain on the moral high ground with no leg to stand on doncha know? Can she continue to use the line "not politics as usual?" Will she have any credibility left when she goes dancing in the dinosaur footprints that were only laid down 4000 years ago? I am not sure I could derive much more pleasure from watching a campaign implode as thoroughly as the McCain/Palin has.... So whats next? The Dow goes down to below 8000 and Palin is talking about Reverend Wright? Can we mention her witch hunter friend then who helped brutalize women in africa? Or Joel's Army? I love playing the guilt by association game while the economy implodes after 8 years of a Republican in the Whitehouse, takes my mind off the fact all these people are losing thier homes and jobs. So keep it up McCain/Palin, I am not sure a campaign could come up with a more ironic slogan then "country first" with these two on the ticket.

No, being a jerk isn't against the law. It's pretty much the expected verdict since the investigation began. Like I said, in Alaska, politicians prefer the honor code.

For the reasons explained in section IV of this report, I find that Governor Sarah Palin abused her power by violating Alaska Statute 2952.110(a) of the Alaska Executive Branch Ethics Act. Alaska Statute 2952.110(a) provides

“The legislature reaffirms that each public officer holds office as a public trust, and any effort to benefit a personal or financial interest through official action is a violation of that trust.”

McCain spokeswoman Meg Stapleton released this statement:

Today's report shows that the Governor acted within her proper and lawful authority in the reassignment of Walt Monegan. The report also illustrates what we've known all along: this was a partisan led inquiry run by Obama supporters and the Palins were completely justified in their concern regarding Trooper Wooten given his violent and rogue behavior. Lacking evidence to support the original Monegan allegation, the Legislative Council seriously overreached, making a tortured argument to find fault without basis in law or fact. The Governor is looking forward to cooperating with the Personnel Board and continuing her conversation with the American people regarding the important issues facing the country.

So she didnt break any laws ..... except that she did ??? :confused:

Obama used his pork requests to get a job for the fence-builder for that hotel. A real Watergate-gate-gate.

That Obama is so corrupt !

Politico reports on Gov. Sarah Palin’s prolific spending while governor of Alaska. “She supports spending taxpayer cash on initiatives that tickle her fancy,” Ken Vogel notes. “During her tenures as both mayor and governor, operating budgets ballooned by 55 percent in Wasilla and 25 percent in Alaska.” Some examples of Palin’s pet projects:

– $25,000 for the Juneau Christian Center, after Palin started worshipping there.

– $2 million for an academic conference meant to dispel the idea that climate change is threatening polar bears.

– $630,000 for a kitchen in a hockey arena complex the self-described hockey mom built during her second term as Wasilla’s mayor.

– At least $10,000 to help fund the snowmobile race Todd Palin has won several times.

Ultimately, Palin took Wasilla’s long-term debt from $1 million when she entered office to $25 million when she left.” “Anything she proposed is a good earmark,” said Bob Weinstein, mayor of Ketchikan, Alaska.

From what I've heard, it sounds like she personally didn't do anything wrong except for not intervening to stop her husband and staff from exerting inappropriate pressure. There is no evidence she told them to do so, but it seems she knew about it and choose to ignore it.

Apparently Alaska is a little bit too close to Russia. Palin watched Russia for so long that she picked up their governing methods.
BTW her husband is the real danger.

For those scoring at home, the McCain/Palin ticket is the first in American history in which both candidates were found to have violated ethics standards before a national election.

From what I've heard, it sounds like she personally didn't do anything wrong except for not intervening to stop her husband and staff from exerting inappropriate pressure. There is no evidence she told them to do so, but it seems she knew about it and choose to ignore it.

How can you square her being found guilty of abusing her power by firing somebody over a personal feud and what you just said? When you say "from what I've heard", I think I have a fair idea about who you heard it from.

Top Bottom