Trouble in the Gulf: Ties to Qatar cut

How weird. Just a snap of the finger and Qatar is a country non grata by it's neighbours. Imagine if it happened to Canada or France or something. Was this expected by anyone?

Is this problem Trump's fault?
absolutely ! The guy who came before was utterly spineless , so cozy with Iran and failing to kill Syria . So when the orange wonder arrives the whole world waits for him kill Esad and what he does ? Nothing !!! So , these very heroic guys who never flinch in starting trouble elsewhere are just posing as if they are tough ... And even then BSS fails to order a coup in Qatar so that everybody would feel like fine and they could all go and support whomever is fashionable as a Islamist/Jihadist terrorist these days .

Qatar was the main sponsor of the so-called Arab Spring (Islamist Spring more like) and they also finance radical mosques all over the world, including in Europe.

Egypt is probably the most serious Arab country in its fight against terrorism and Islamism in general, and given the role Qatar played in installing a short lived Islamist regime there, it surprises me they had not cut relations before.

Saudi Arabia is a more ambiguous case as they also finance radical Islam all over. They're probably more annoyed at Qatar over the latter's attempts to improve relations with Iran. Still, in politics the results matter more than the intentions. The qatari regime is evil and sponsors evil; isolating it and strangling it financially is therefore a good thing.

What I don't understand is the US trying to get them all to mend relations with Qatar. Screw Qatar. It's high time they answer for all the crap they've done.

Any word on what the response from Qatar's government is?

What I don't understand is the US trying to get them all to mend relations with Qatar.

That's because Saudi Arabia, the UAE, and Qatar are all our allies in the region. We have military bases in both the UAE and Qatar and our economic ties with Saudi Arabia are well-known. The US tends to not like it when our allies start squabbling with each other because we don't want to be put in the unfortunate situation of having to pick sides. It's kinda like when your wife gets in an argument with your mother. You love them both and try to get them to get along because you don't want to have to choose one over the other and have the one you didn't choose hate you forever.

That's because Saudi Arabia, the UAE, and Qatar are all our allies in the region. We have military bases in both the UAE and Qatar and our economic ties with Saudi Arabia are well-known. The US tends to not like it when our allies start squabbling with each other because we don't want to be put in the unfortunate situation of having to pick sides. It's kinda like when your wife gets in an argument with your mother. You love them both and try to get them to get along because you don't want to have to choose one over the other and have the one you didn't choose hate you forever.
I know that. But the truth is that if Saudi Arabia is a bad ally, Qatar is a straight up enemy. Not only do they openly finance Islamism and (more or less openly) terrorism, they do everything they can to undermine US interests in the Middle East and indeed the world. I wonder what's so special about the military bases there.

I know that. But the truth is that if Saudi Arabia is a bad ally, Qatar is a straight up enemy. Not only do they openly finance Islamism and (more or less openly) terrorism, they do everything they can to undermine US interests in the Middle East and indeed the world. I wonder what's so special about the military bases there.

Look at the map.
Qatar is like an airstrip aiming at Iran, on the same natural gas field as Iran.

And how do you handle individual rich citizens of the Arab world to fund Islamism ?
During the UK-IRA conflict, with lots of terrorist attack, the prime funding source of the IRA were rich US citizens.
When Thatcher asked Reagan to stop this, it decreased, but never stopped.

EDIT
Total casualties of that conflict 3.5k, half of them civilians.

Last edited:
Look at the map.
Qatar is like an airstrip aiming at Iran, on the same natural gas field as Iran.

And how do you handle individual rich citizens of the Arab world to fund Islamism ?
During the UK-IRA conflict, with lots of terrorist attack, the prime funding source of the IRA were rich US citizens.
When Thatcher asked Reagan to stop this, it decreased, but never stopped.

EDIT
Total casualties of that conflict 3.5k, half of them civilians.
The thing with Qatar is not only rich individuals funding terrorism, though. That happens in all Arab states - the UAE and Saudi Arabia notoriously. What's a unique about Qatar is the openness with which it's government funds Islamism and groups associated with terrorism. Qatar played an enormous and outsized role in the Islamist Spring, greatly contributing to the crap storm that continues to afflict the Middle East. Ask any non-Islamist Egyptian what they think of the Qatari government...

I guess the goal Saudi Arabia is exactly to force the US to choose between its allies and they are confident that the US will choose them when it comes down to it. They might think that they can then openly threaten Qatar or even attack them. A bad ally of the US on the shore of the Persian Gulf attacking a smaller neighbor -- sounds somewhat familiar.

Why can't we hold Saudi Arabia to the same standard?
I do. But the Qatari government has been way more shameless in its funding of Islamism and indeed terrorism than the Saudi one, which at least pretends to fight extremism.

Also, I will celebrate if the Saudi government is punished too. But I don't have to wait for that to happen to celebrate the financial strangling of the evil Qatari regime.

I guess the goal Saudi Arabia is exactly to force the US to choose between its allies and they are confident that the US will choose them when it comes down to it. They might think that they can then openly threaten Qatar or even attack them. A bad ally of the US on the shore of the Persian Gulf attacking a smaller neighbor -- sounds somewhat familiar.

The main thing that will prevent the Saudis from attacking Qatar is the US military presence there.

I do. But the Qatari government has been way more shameless in its funding of Islamism and indeed terrorism than the Saudi one, which at least pretends to fight extremism.

Also, I will celebrate if the Saudi government is punished too. But I don't have to wait for that to happen to celebrate the financial strangling of the evil Qatari regime.

Fair enough. Got any documented citations by credible sources on what the Quataris are doing? This hasn't been on my radar

Exactly. Which is why they will be trying to get the US to withdraw from there.

And they will fail. That base is way too important to our Central Asian and Middle Eastern operations to just give up.

Top Bottom