Trouble with Great Library

Dormi

Chieftain
I play at regent level right now. Since the AI is technologically advanced I built the Great Library. But when I finished it I didn't get any technologies. (not in the next 30 turns either) Why is that? I just made contact with one other civilisation (zulus). And they are definitely have technologies I don't have.
As far as I remember I got version 1.07 without a patch - just in case this is important.

The Great Library is obsolete after Education is researched. If you have that tech, then no more free advances are possible.

Chances are either you completed it after you had Education or you don't know 2 civs that have the required techs.

Remember, the GL expired at Education & you only recieve techs that are known by 2 other Civs(that you have already met).

Thank you!
You are right! I just met one other civ so far. And after I met another one I got all the technologies.
Thanks again

It sounds to me like your problem is that you haven't made enough contacts. The GL requires that TWO KNOWN Civs must possess the tech before you can learn it. Whenever I build the GL, my main strategy is to make contact with every single civ on the map. If I'm playing on continents, then the very first tech I research after Literature is Map Making. Then I build suicide Galleys like a mad man, and send them off to find all those unknown Civ across the ocean.

It basically boils down to the fact that if you only have contact with one or two other Civs, your Great Library is pretty much useless.

Edited: Hmmm, beat me to the post! Oh well, at least now you know.

I built the Great Library once on an island I turned out to have all to myself. I sailed all the way around in the coastal squares... no way to get to more land. I built the Great Lighthouse, sailed all the way around in the sea squares... no way to get to more land.

Which means I had to get to Navigation (is it Navigation?) to sail through ocean squares before I could meet anyone, and I had to discover Education in order to get to Navigation.

All those turns wasted.

Sigh...

You're kidding right?? Surely you've wondered what suicide galleys were all about then?

Send those galleys out braving the ocean, some will sink sure, but it's the ones that get through that are important.

the game won't let me send "suicide" galleys they seem to refuse to obey a direct order from the absolute ruler in the ancient ages.

Originally posted by Bluemofia
the game won't let me send "suicide" galleys they seem to refuse to obey a direct order from the absolute ruler in the ancient ages.
You to move your galley one tile at the time.

Yea, don't use "go-to" commands you have to use the arrows. The AI mucks up the go-to's so much I hardly use them anymore unless I'm moving something really far.

Top Bottom