1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Trouble with multiplayer - no games appear on serverlist

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Multiplayer & PBEM' started by themoffster, Jan 13, 2003.

1. themoffster

themoffster Chieftain

I have Civ3 and the Play the Worlds fully patched and allowed full internet access through ZoneAlarm, however, I can't see any games at any time in the server browser.

The game runs fine in single player, but I want to play multiplayer.

Anyone else have similar problems?

2. WildFire

WildFire amour

You have ZoneAlarm too?!?! How the heck do you get it to work? It won't let me play hardly any internet games!

When you cant see the games, make sure that you refresh it frequently and that it says Internet, not Local Games because local games wont turn up anything (most of the time).

3. themoffster

themoffster Chieftain

I make sure it is on "Gamespy Internet Games" and when I click refresh nothing appears.

I can play a single player game (main menu -> new game), but I can't get any kind of mp game going.

How's it done?

4. WildFire

WildFire amour

What I do is click Multiplayer. Then when the screen loads, make sure it is on the internet because it doesnt matter if it is on "Gamespy Internet Games" since the whole thing is powered by Gamespy. And than you hit refresh.

5. themoffster

themoffster Chieftain

I only have the option for "Gamespy Internet Games" and "Local Games" on the inbuilt browser.
    Even after shutting down ZoneAlarm and trying to see a server, I get nothing still :confused:

6. Dragoten

Dragoten Dragon Tamer

The best thing to do is just SHUT DOWN ZoneAlarm when playing Internet games. Personally I think ZA does more harm than good.

7. themoffster

themoffster Chieftain

I just tried that and still nothing happened, it was as if I was the only person playing the game on the net.
    Same thing happens with and without running ZA.

8. WildFire

WildFire amour

Yeah, but if i would close ZoneAlarm and my father finds out, i would be in trouble. Plus i have two brothers who might be inclined to tell if i did, and if someone does hack in, i might never be aloud to touch the computer again!

9. themoffster

themoffster Chieftain

here it says that DirectPlay must be allowed to access the internet. What is that - I can't find it after a search of my system.

10. Isak

Isak Civ4 Scenario Designer

DirectPlay is the Internet Gaming part of Microsofts DirectX package. You should be able to see it in the list of programs in the Zone Alarm control panel - probably listed as MS DirectPlay or Microsoft DirectPlay.

I'm not sure that it would cause the problems you are having though - have you also allowed Civilization3X.exe and GamespyArcade to act as servers, in addition to letting them access the internet?

11. themoffster

themoffster Chieftain

I don't have DirectPlay listed in ZA. Also, I don't have Gamespy Arcade installed, I thought the in-game server browser did away for the need of Gamesp Arcade?

12. Dragoten

Dragoten Dragon Tamer

I am 90% sure that you need to have gamespy installed. Also, are you patched to 1.14f?

13. Isak

Isak Civ4 Scenario Designer

AFAIK you don't need GamespyArcade installed if you only use the ingame browser, but DirectPlay should be installed when you install DirectX 8.0 (or is it 8.1 you need - I'm at work so I can't check right now). Installing it doesn't necessarily make it listed in ZA though - that won't happen until the program tries to connect to the internet.

Could there perhaps be another block somewhere - like a Router or other device?