1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Troy Davis is Executed

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by LucyDuke, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Masada

Masada Koi-san!

So by your own admission Thailand is the Wild-East where the rule of law doesn't exist and authorities acting for a corrupt plutocrat can kill with impunity, free of legal restraint and the purview, or seemingly concern, of citizens. America might have killed a man in error, as a process of law; but Thailand killed her citizens without even the pretence of a trial.

2. Lone Cat

Lone Cat Warlord

And do you justify the two massacres commited by Abhisidh and Suthep, along with his goons?

the latter was a pure barbarism. and motivated by political reasons.

3. Lone Cat

Lone Cat Warlord

I'm so sick to hear what you say. what on your mind tells you that this 'barbarism' is justified?
    did the social pushes Davis to do the crimes?

i'm not saying that Davis should be released but if the process is justified. you wouldn't see the protests in front of the court.
    What will be your reasons to give to those protesters?

4. HannibalBarka

HannibalBarka We are Free

I am against CP, but I don't see why this case is special. TD has every single chance to prove himself innocent and failed as everyone who studied his case confirmed the sentence. If there is a "no doubt" stamp, he deserved it.

Now are we 100% certain he did it, hell no, we're never sure (100% does not exist in reality).
    But that is no reason not to apply the punishment on him. I don't really understand people who are aginst DP because of "uncertainty". I mean in that case I'd be also against life sentence.
    I am against DP because life is the one right that no authority can take from you.

5. Masada

Masada Koi-san!

I don't justify or apologise for anything; I'm just not willing to pretend that Thaksin was a saint or that Thai's - and particularly Thaksin supporters - can talk about barbarism. You've admitted that Thailand under Thaksin issued orders that could be 'misconstrued' as kill orders, in contravention of the rule of law; moreover, they were issued exactly with that intention in mind.

6. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

The reason is that new evidence arose after he was already sentenced - or better, evidence that lead to his conviction was invalidated. When 7 out of 9 witnesses said they lied in the original trial, this isn't "slightly below 100%". That's reasonable doubt if there ever is one, especially since afaik those witnesses were the only evidence after all.

7. Kraznaya

Kraznaya Princeps

pretty sure it's because you can't bring someone back when they're dead

you know like

if you lock some guy up in jail

you can free him if new evidence comes to light?

can't do that when they're dead

you're welcome

8. Lone Cat

Lone Cat Warlord

good point. Justice should be carried out but not tooooooo extreme. just lock him away in the dungeon and give 'em no parole until someone prove he's innocent.

and for anyone quoting about Thaksin. please stop it now. i don't want to derail this thread evenmore.

9. tycoonist

tycoonist Deity

It's pretty obvious that, given a fresh retrial today, he wouldn't be found guilty if you ask me. There are now only 2 witnesses remaining, and one of them probably wouldn't testify. There was no forensic evidence to implicate him. The murder weapon was never found. I very much doubt he would have been convicted in the first place if the victim wasn't a cop.

Can people stop saying that he should have to prove his innocence? He should have to do no such thing! It's upto prosecutors to prove his guilt, not the other way round.

10. Lone Cat

Lone Cat Warlord

^ ey.. you get me wrong maan. 'someone else' could mean 'prosecutor' as you think...

let's see if there's a law that provide protection privilidges to cops. especially 'when murdered. the cop's death will be avenged'

11. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

I agree. It will likely never convince people like Perry in the deep South. They want their righteous vengeance and they think their religion justifies it.

There is no way that a black man convicted of killing a white cop in the South isn't going to be eventually executed. It would likely even happen to a white man who killed a black cop.

AFAIK it was only the witnesses, one of whom is the "principal alternative suspect".

This conviction was the result of extremely shoddy police work where numerous people were coerced into testifying against Davis. And the Antiterrorism and Effective Death Penalty Act of 1996 severely limited his ability to appeal, as it does with many death row inmates.

12. AL_DA_GREAT

AL_DA_GREAT amour absinthe révolution

He is obviously guilty and he has shown great cruelty and doesn't deserve to live.

13. HannibalBarka

We can't apply DP because we wouldn't be able to bring someone to life if we execute an innocent, and since we're never sure, better not do it.

We can't imprison someone for life because we wouldn't be able to make him live his life normally again if we lock an innocent for 30 years, and since we're never sure, better not do it.

For me it is the same logic.

14. IglooDude

IglooDude Enforcing Rule 34 Retired Moderator Supporter

The key difference is that if a convicted innocent has new evidence arising which proves his innocence (or another's guilt), the imprisoned innocent can be set free, but the executed innocent cannot be revived.

15. HannibalBarka

Well in that case shouldn't we retry every one in prison to see if the sentence would still be the same?
    And TD had his case rexamined by the SC. If you think the US legislator should add a new step, a new appeal than why not, but that should apply to everycase. TD has used all possible revision of his trial and failed in everycase.

No it is up to the jury, and the jury think that there reasonable evidence he is guilty. They may be wrong, but that is how justice works in the US, and that how people are put in prison.

16. HannibalBarka

I see that, but I think that to be set free after 40 years in prison is really no chance at all in practical terms, the guy lost his life. so if we need not to apply justice because of the risk of error, life sentence, or even very long prison sentence, should also be outlawed.

17. downtown

downtown Crafternoon Delight

How often does that really happen?

And yeah, the Death Penalty is stupid and unbecoming of a 1st world nation, +1.

18. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

I agree except in the cases where the individual has deep psychological issues which actually make him a danger to society. But in those instances, he also doesn't belong in prison where he is a direct danger the guards and other inmates. He belongs in a psychological institution where he can either be cured or permanently isolated from others.

The problem is that many people in the US think anybody who has ever killed is a danger to society because he will likely do it again. This is why the US has such draconian prison sentences in many states.

19. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

I agree with most people here saying that although Davis may not have have been innocent, the evidence certiantly hasn't stoof up to the higher proof beyond reasonable doubt expected in DP cases.

20. tycoonist

tycoonist Deity

Well yes, we should allow everyone in jail a retrial if they want - Especially those on death row, as their need is most urgent.

It was a miscarriage of justice. That someone can be executed with that little evidence against them is a perfect example of why the death penalty is a terrible method of punishment.

It's up to prosecutors to prove his guilt to the jury. I'd like to see him stand for a full retrial with all past evidence omitted unless it can be reobtained. Of course, now we will never be able to have that.