1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Trump’s big achievement: making the New York Times care about antisemitism

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Mouthwash, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

Because a giant burning cross on the MLK memorial is a pretty newsworthy thing. Giant burning anything, anywhere, is a pretty newsworthy thing. Vandalism in a cemetery is gross, but it happens in pretty much every cemetery on the planet once in a while. Unless it is some sort of extreme it's not news. Until it starts happening in some widespread and frequent fashion, then it becomes newsworthy. That the people committing the vandalism are probably acting out because they feel encouraged by "their guy" being elected president makes it more newsworthy.

2. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Escaped Lunatic

Stratfor and Geopolitical Futures are the only ones I take seriously. The most obvious difference between them and ordinary media is that they don't make any pretense to "opinions" or "debate." It's just experts giving their opinion on how things are (and they're quite honest when their predictions don't pan out). But I don't know how that can be applied as policy.

Find me a foreign affairs section of any newspaper that looks like this.

I've already explained why I think that's dubious- and even if the NYT has the purest of intentions, it still disgusts me that something which happens quite often gets treated as unprecedented.

Fine, a confederate flag.

You're right. It's only six hundred tombstones in a Jewish cemetery. Who hasn't done something like that?

Yeah, it's not because of all the pundits and comedians who've been calling Trump a KKK-sponsored fascist for the past year and a half.

(Pro-tip: giving newspapers an easy line of criticism of their political opponent probably isn't the best way to encourage journalistic integrity, assuming such a thing ever existed.)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  3. Timsup2nothin

You are seriously pretending that the alt-right, white nationalist, and anti-Semite groups embraced Trump just because the pundits and comedians told them to? Here's a thought then, how about if we get the pundits and comedians to tell them to quit being asshats?

4. Mouthwash

No. Keep trying, you'll eventually figure out what I'm trying to say here.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  5. Timsup2nothin

You aren't difficult to understand, just impossible to respect.

6. Mouthwash

My, someone is a sore loser.

7. Berzerker

Berzerker Warlord

I thought it was funny...and true. But I was reading mouthwash's thread, the fact you're here reading his mind was an unexpected source of amusement.

8. Timsup2nothin

LOL...winner as declared by self. Do you give yourself medals as well?

9. Arwon

Arwon

I'd suggest that Trump's achievement has been to make Trumpkin fan boys not careally about antisemitism, but then that was always the case hey.

10. HannibalBarka

HannibalBarka We are Free

and the NYT reporting it one year and not reporting it the other year wouldn't necessarily mean anything, these are very low numbers we're talking about :mischief:

Timsup2nothin likes this.
  11. Timsup2nothin

There's the crack of the bat! High and deep! YES! There goes Mouthwash OVER THE WALL!!!! HOME RUN!!!!

12. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey The Poster

Sadly, another such incident, in Rochester NY.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  13. Mouthwash

The NYT hasn't appeared to ever report it at all only to turn completely around when it seemed politically advantageous.

14. Timsup2nothin

It would have been better to just let this thread die than revive it by repeating the same nonsense that no one bought the first time.

15. Flying Pig

Flying Pig Utrinque Paratus Moderator

Moderator Action: Mouthwash and Tim - enough personal comments.

16. Mouthwash

So it turns out all or some of the bomb threats were done by an Israeli Jew. I seem to recall liberals being outraged when Trump suggested they could be false flags.

17. metalhead

metalhead Angry Bartender

It's still an outrage, because Trump wasn't saying that based on any real information. He was just repeating some garbage conspiracy theory he read on the Internet.

Also, how is this a false flag?

18. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

Trump was suggesting it was a false flag by liberals trying to discredit him. To suggest he has been vindicated by this is silly.

19. Bamspeedy

Bamspeedy We'll dig up the road!

Correct. But it's not the 'racist redneck neo-nazi Trump supporter' that I'm sure many were imagining as the ones behind these crimes.

20. metatron

metatron unperson

This comment, presumably completely accidental on the part of Narz...
    ...managed to pass apparently unnoticed.
    Nobody out of this rich assortment of our otherwise very vigilant local political correctness constabulary felt the need to make a comment about, say, poor choice of wording or context.
    I don't know if that's not the tiniest bit of however tangential evidence in favor of MW's sentiment.