1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[RD] Trump revealed highly classified information to Russian diplomats

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Zkribbler, May 16, 2017.

1. red_elk

red_elk Deity

Obviously, Trump possess information, which could hurt US and their allies, if disclosed to Russia.
    But are there indications that he actually shared something which he wasn't supposed to?
    All what we know is that he shared intelligence info related to ISIS - organization which committed terrorist attacks in Russia and EU.
    Everything else - that he endangered somebody's life, disclosed something vital, etc. are speculations from what I see.

2. Verbose

Verbose Deity

You are NOT supposed to share info that risks giving away HOW your intelligence service operates — much less your allies. Doing that is potentially not just hampering, but is what can be directly dangerous to your agents, sources etc.

The problem with Trump is that no one has the first idea what he's doing, while at the same time no one really trusts his judgment. He's massively ignorant about most things. This matters not if he's a faux-billionaire realtor running a cooky family enterprise, but it does if he's the President of the United States, and the nexus of an entire system of allied nations' intelligence services he is effectively holding hostage like this.

3. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

The report is that he divulged information that was designated as "code word". If this is true, it means that he divulged information that also inherently reveals the source of that information.

It matters, just nowhere near as much.

4. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Jokerfied Western Male

Hmm, so the Constitution is pretty vague on treason. Well, it was written over two centuries ago, before the telephone was invented an American Imperialism went global and EVERYONE* became a potential enemy.

I don't know. Turkey ? Israel ? Maybe you can find out by tweeting @TheRealDonaldTrump. Not because you're Russian. I guess anyone could get him to reveal classified intel with the right tweet.

*Imagine coked up Gary Oldman shouting.

5. red_elk

red_elk Deity

Yes, I know.
    I mean - Russia was also sharing intelligence about ISIS and stuff, with US. Should I be worried about treason?

If he is indeed such blabbermouth as he is described here, don't impeach him until G20 summit.
    Putin is ex-KGB, he will get something even more interesting :)

6. metalhead

metalhead Angry Bartender

I'll make this really simple for you.

We have intelligence sharing agreements with other countries. A vital part of those agreements is that we are forbidden from sharing the intelligence we get with other nations. The information Trump shared with Lavrov and Kislyak - not to mention the Russian "press" that just so happened to be allowed in the room with a bunch of electronic equipment - is of the type that only could have been obtained subject to one of these agreements.

So he basically violated the trust of the rest of the world by sharing it with the Russians. Whether he actually endangered the person(s) involved in gathering the intelligence is indeed speculation. What is not speculation, however, is that violating an intelligence sharing agreement will significantly reduce the willingness of other countries to share intelligence with us going forward. What is also not speculation is that the information Trump shared is sufficient for one to reverse-engineer the source of the information - which they can and will do if it serves their interests.

7. Kozmos

Kozmos Jew Detective

There's no treason here, but gross incompetence and reckless conduct yeah.

8. red_elk

red_elk Deity

You must be kidding.
    Trump revealed classified intelligence in front of Russian journalists? :eek:

9. metalhead

Well, they probably weren't in the room at the time, but who knows what all went on? I know they were allowed to bring all kinds of electronic equipment into the Oval Office.

Also, you're glossing over the far more troubling aspects. Here's what the original Post story had to say:

The Post is withholding most plot details, including the name of the city, at the urging of officials who warned that revealing them would jeopardize important intelligence capabilities.

“Everyone knows this stream is very sensitive, and the idea of sharing it at this level of granularity with the Russians is troubling,” said a former senior U.S. counterterrorism official who also worked closely with members of the Trump national security team. He and others spoke on the condition of anonymity, citing the sensitivity of the subject.

The identification of the location was seen as particularly problematic, officials said, because Russia could use that detail to help identify the U.S. ally or intelligence capability involved. Officials said the capability could be useful for other purposes, possibly providing intelligence on Russia’s presence in Syria. Moscow would be keenly interested in identifying that source and perhaps disrupting it.
    So whether we share a common purpose in fighting ISIS or not, the fact is it is squarely in Russia's interest to disrupt this intelligence source. Do you understand now why people are saying that the source is at risk?

demiurgenext likes this.
  10. red_elk

red_elk Deity

I'm still not convinced.
    Spoiler :

11. demiurgenext

demiurgenext Chieftain

I think you might be missing the subtext there if your comment is not intended as sarcasm. :D

12. NovaKart

NovaKart شێری گەورە

Yeah definitely. Pride in being Americans didn't stop the republicans from trying to bring down clinton in the 90s.

I'm just wondering if trump will do something so indefensible that even the republicans will have to speak out about it.

13. red_elk

red_elk Deity

How can I possibly not notice the face of our dear beloved leader on Mt. Rushmore?

14. metalhead

If significantly hindering the ability of the IC to protect our national security doesn't qualify, than I don't know what will.

I tend not to be as hard on them as others, because I don't think it's particularly fair to expect anything other than callow political calculation on the question of whether to come out against Trump. That's the whole purpose of democracy, and one of its most significant limitations, right? All you can possibly ask of these people is to support Trump until their constituents no longer want them to. I happen to believe that it's a pretty myopic view to think that there is anything but electoral peril ahead for anyone who doesn't come out against Trump while doing so is still on the right side of history, but I'm not going to pretend that the political calculus here isn't extraordinarily difficult, far more so than anything that any of them have previously encountered.

That being said, the early line from GOPers in Congress was that this story was rather disturbing if true. Trump has now confirmed it to be true. We'll see who is willing to call this out for what it is. Some senators have already dipped their toes in the water.

15. AlpsStranger

AlpsStranger Jump jump on the tiger!

The Republicans, from the floor of the senate all the way to the sad little truck stops and stupid white trash hats, understand in their bones that this is the last hurrah ( or damn close to it. ) They have to ride this for all it's worth. The United States has managed, by sheer force of will, to languish behind the rest of the developed world in terms of social programs, sexual progress, loss of superstition, etc.

They know that they're slipping fast and they won a battle in the twilight of a war whose outcome was decided long ago. After all, the Lie-beral Scientismisstic Free-Love Abortio-Satanists are going to turn us all into polyamorous trans-robotic space dwellers soon enough. They must cling to their outmoded economic and social ideas for as long as possible, savor every second of white-cishet-Christian privilege before what is, to them, eternal darkness sets in.

Frankly, their ideas don't hold enough water to be held honestly. They can't spit in the face of the desperate, the rubes ( including Trump ) and the bumpkins because that's who they represent.

16. mrt144

mrt144 Deity

This is what it feels like, doesn't it? So desperate for a win they'll literally back anything that keeps up the charade that winning an election is enough to change the world to their liking.

17. mrt144

mrt144 Deity

Get's even better - McMasters who wrote a book about Vietnam condemning the military for caving to political whims and not being on the level about the task ahead of them - says that Trump wasn't aware of where the intel came from. This is a guy at the podium defending Trump's actions by claiming Trump's defacto state of being is ignorance.

"Trump gave up the info without understanding the source or the implications of revealing it, so there America, he didn't do anything wrong, don't think about it too hard".

18. mrt144

mrt144 Deity

And if you want to know why I'm so livid, it's because Republicans have shown themselves to be partisan ahead of patriots. If Democrats take back both houses of congress and the presidency and they do something truly awful, even close to something like Trump has, Republicans will have no standing to hem and haw about it. Their refusal to engage hurts not only themselves but everyone because it debases any sort of notion of trans-partisan accountability.

19. metalhead

McMaster is falling on his sword and destroying his hard-earned reputation in order to protect Donald Trump. Of all the humiliations a person could possibly suffer, that's got to be one of the worst.

These are the people who are deserving of scorn. Mattis, McMaster, and Kelly collectively have enough earned respect that they could topple this clown if they wanted to. They don't have to answer to constituents or angry Trump supporters if they do. Instead they choose to use their esteem to prop the administration up.

Any hope that these men would save us from Trump is all but lost. They're playing along and enabling this disaster every step of the way. For shame :shake:

mrt144 likes this.
  20. AlpsStranger

AlpsStranger Jump jump on the tiger!

We have to spend the rest of our political lives making sure the Republican piggies bleed every last political drop they owe for this. Never let it be forgotten that this was acceptable to them.