[RD] Trump revealed highly classified information to Russian diplomats

From a non-American point of view I'd say organize massive anti-Trump rallies that demand his impeachment, and possibly new elections (Though the latter is difficult to reconcile with the US constitution). Anyways, many elected leaders in many democratic and autocratic countries have been convinced to step down due to this. Remember what happened to Park Geun-hye.

From a non-American point of view I'd say organize massive anti-Trump rallies that demand his impeachment, and possibly new elections (Though the latter is difficult to reconcile with the US constitution). Anyways, many elected leaders in many democratic and autocratic countries have been convinced to step down due to this. Remember what happened to Park Geun-hye.

The US, since the mid 1970s has socially tried to scrub protesting out of our social consciousness. Boomers became self satisfied and refused to remain vigilant.

Its all a distraction so no one talks about what's happening in to the courts across the country and nationally. The impact will be felt for decades. Quite sad.

Yes, I know.
I mean - Russia was also sharing intelligence about ISIS and stuff, with US. Should I be worried about treason?
As you said, given Putin's background, I think you can implicitly assume he knows full well what might be sensitive and not so-sensitive indirect information about intelligence operations.

It's about trust. In a situation of very intimate coordination with allies. And Trump does this they way sex seems to work for him...

And now the Russians are free to share it with Iran, who as you may have heard don't have very many nice things to say about Israel.

I think the bigger question was who in the Trump administration was so ignorant as to trust Trump with this information.

Jip
I once had a boss of the Trump type, same narcismus, bragging, etc...
but the good natured teddy bear variant.

With info that should not get public, or to a customer, with his loose tongue, we always said explicitly "dont talk about it"
and yeah... some info he never got for that reason !

There's no treason here, but gross incompetence and reckless conduct yeah.

"...gross incompetence and reckless conduct..."
That was in my country during WW2 one of the two main reasons why people of the resistance and having people hidden in their house were caught by the Germans (and died).
The other main reason was peace time jealousy or a quarrel

As you said, given Putin's background, I think you can implicitly assume he knows full well what might be sensitive and not so-sensitive indirect information about intelligence operations.

It's about trust. In a situation of very intimate coordination with allies. And Trump does this they way sex seems to work for him...
Basically, this comes down to assumption that Russian diplomats and high-level officials are much more competent in intelligence field, than current American ones.
Or, in other words, that Trump is a clueless fool who would share vital intelligence without consulting with his experts. It may be the case, but I consider this unlikely.
I'm not taking sides in pro-Trump - anti-Trump argument, in fact this "foolish Trump" notion may be more beneficial for Russia than the opposite one. Just people who blame him in all sorts of crazy stuff seem biased to me.

Why is Trump complaining about leakers? It is not a leak if it is not classified and Trump claims he declassified it by sharing it.

Basically, this comes down to assumption that Russian diplomats and high-level officials are much more competent in intelligence field, than current American ones.
Or, in other words, that Trump is a clueless fool who would share vital intelligence without consulting with his experts. It may be the case, but I consider this unlikely.
I'm not taking sides in pro-Trump - anti-Trump argument, in fact this "foolish Trump" notion may be more beneficial for Russia than the opposite one. Just people who blame him in all sorts of crazy stuff seem biased to me.

It's fairly well-known at this point that Trump doesn't bother with the 'experts' as you describe. He regularly spouts whatever he wants without consideration towards what would be most effective or otherwise recommended. They condense intelligence reports for him that he routinely neglects to read or supplement with additional information.

The American intelligence community isn't incompetent... the head honcho is.

How is it even debatable that Russian intelligence is better than US, especially at the highest echelons? They walked a spy into the Oval Office and Trump, apropos of nothing, blabbed about Israeli intelligence? This isn't a pre-season game in any given sport, this is the real deal.

How is it even debatable that Russian intelligence is better than US, especially at the highest echelons?
One reason is that Russian intelligence gets much less funding. Like, the order of magnitude less or so. If it's still better, this would mean US intelligence is horribly inefficient.

They walked a spy into the Oval Office
This sound a bit melodramatic, don't you think? They walked foreign minister and ambassador into the Oval Office.

Well, if your credibility hadn't already been shot by all your uncritical regurgitation of your government's propaganda narratives, this would have done it.

At least one of those people is under constant surveillance on suspicion of being involved in espionage, so melodramatic or not it's an accurate statement.

Also, the Russian press is apparently reporting details of what Trump told Lavrov and Kislyak. So perhaps they were in the room after all.

One reason is that Russian intelligence gets much less funding. Like, the order of magnitude less or so. If it's still better, this would mean US intelligence is horribly inefficient.

This sound a bit melodramatic, don't you think? They walked foreign minister and ambassador into the Oval Office.

It's not melodramatic - it's exactly what happened. You can't downplay Russian intelligence capabilities simply because you don't want be associated with the negative outcomes. Ambassadors of every country are almost always working closely with their respective home intelligence agencies and in fact, The W Bush administration burned one of their own for pointing out facts. Not only that but they let in TASS representatives who work for the state for the state's benefit.

Also, how would you even know what melodramatic is living in a country where critics of Putin die mysteriously all the time? And where you can't hold protest signs at a protest? I get that Russians have been through so much horsehocky that nothing gets a rise out of you but honestly, try thinking about this with any nation replacing Russia in this scenario.

Also, would you have even entered this thread if you couldn't pick up the mantle for defending Russia? Nah, you wouldn't, cause you honestly don't care.

Last edited:
Well, if your credibility hadn't already been shot by all your uncritical regurgitation of your government's propaganda narratives, this would have done it.
My credibility is not determined by your opinion about it. But I probably shouldn't intervene in all this indeed. Anti-Trump hysteria is still too strong for this discussion to stay civil.

Wait a moment, if another president considered intelligent and capable like Obama, Bush senior or Clinton had done the same wouldnt we speak about close collaboration between allies in the fight against terrorism?

My credibility is not determined by your opinion about it. But I probably shouldn't intervene in all this indeed. Anti-Trump hysteria is still too strong for this discussion to stay civil.

No, your credibility is determined among other things by your ability to grasp patently obvious facts, such as the patently obvious fact that Trump is a clueless fool.

Wait a moment, if another president considered intelligent and capable like Obama, Bush senior or Clinton had done the same wouldnt we speak about collaboration between allies in the fight against terrorism?

No.

Top Bottom