1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Trump Scandal Thread (Past, Present, and Future)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Birdjaguar, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

Moderator Action: Given that we have so many political threads, I'm sure we can manage to keep one on-topic, no? Let's try, thanks.

Angst, Birdjaguar and GenMarshall like this.
  2. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

Trump mulls preemptive pardons for up to 20 allies, even as Republicans balk
    The clemency would be unprecedented, and some Republicans are expressing initial hesitation. But they’re not telling Trump to stop.

FriendlyFire and hobbsyoyo like this.
  3. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey The Poster

Well, as long as they're "expressing initial hesitation." That's really all we could expect of them, really.

He will pardon everyone, including himself. The only good thing about it is that will effectively serve as his concession.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    hobbsyoyo and El_Machinae like this.
  4. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

I didn't... But had I gone with 'the lesser evil' argument, I couldn't choose a man I consider the greater evil. Joe Biden has spent half a century destroying lives, nobody in the race comes close. Trump shares in the blame for covid, but he doesn't get it all. His rallies undoubtedly spread the bug, so did nursing homes, protests, large weddings and religious gatherings and so on. Trump cant do much of anything about how states respond to the bug other than send resources.

5. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

Gaslight
    Obstruct
    Project <----- we are here now

Additional criminal activity was discovered during an investigation into a Pardon scheme. Interesting
    I wonder how far up this goes

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  6. Colonel

Colonel Rule of Law

He is the President, yes he can control how the states respond. It's called being a leader and organizing a national response plan, like every other major project the US government has handled in the past century.

hobbsyoyo, cardgame and Birdjaguar like this.
  7. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

Its all projection ?
    always has been

hobbsyoyo and Samson like this.
  8. Birdjaguar

Today we found out that for many many months during which the Trump Admin said they had no way to match the 660 kids that they kidnapped from with their parents, they did actually have contact info but didn't want to reveal it. They have information like phone numbers that they have been sitting on all this time.

Hrothbern and hobbsyoyo like this.
  9. Birdjaguar

Hmmm... I wonder what they are hiding or trying to destroy. This also could explain why Trump has replaced all of the top defense dept staff.

Pentagon blocks visits to military spy agencies by Biden transition team
    The Trump administration has refused to allow members of President-elect Joe Biden’s transition team to meet with officials at U.S. intelligence agencies that are controlled by the Pentagon, undermining prospects for a smooth transfer of power, current and former U.S. officials said.

Hrothbern and hobbsyoyo like this.
  10. Verbose

Verbose Deity

Doesn't he have to actually explicitly state what he is pardoning them for, meaning specifying what breech of the law they have committed, and also agree they have committed?
    He can't well just issue a blanket pardon for any and all kinds of past unspecified wrongdoings? There has to be a crime, for there to be a pardon. (Not that I doubt Trump thinks that's how it works, since even clever people in positions of power and influence tend to think rules and laws work like they think should be practical.)

11. GenMarshall

GenMarshall High Elven Ghost Agent

New Suramar City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
  12. sendos

sendos Immortal

I thought a Presidential pardon requires an actual conviction of a federal crime from a court, doesn't it?

13. r16

r16 not deity

it is not all that bleak . Transition not being smooth gives cover and support to ongoing operations . Like sabotage in lran or gloriously rejecting the smallest mechanism so that Biden can create facts on the ground for his "pals" from the Congregation . Because he didn't know those things were happening because Trump was destroying evidence for the Russian collusion .

14. Samson

Samson Deity

Nope:

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  15. sendos

sendos Immortal

I stand corrected. A query remains whether Trump can pardon himself.

16. Colonel

Colonel Rule of Law

Divided theory, because article 2 states a "grant" will be given it implies from one person (ie President) to another. English common law also supports this interpretation. The other end of the spectrum is specific that the Presidency's only limit on pardons is on that of a case of impeachment. Given that the current court is on a strict textual-ist methodology I would say we are in a odd situation where I could see them erring on either side of this issue, depending on if they focus on grants and common law or if they focus on there being a single identified limit specified.

17. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

Apparently to his dying day Ford insisted that by accepting a pardon the person also accepts they were guilty of that action.
    I know in the UK a couple years ago there was a bit of a kerfuffle when the government proposed pardoning anyone convicted when homosexuality was illegal, and a number of people refused the pardon because they did not accept that what they did was a crime.

18. Birdjaguar

Elections Don’t Conform to Law on Data Sets

19. Birdjaguar

A self pardon would put the President above the law. I don't think it is likely that such a situation would hold up even with SCOTUS.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  20. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

hobbsyoyo and Birdjaguar like this.