1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[RD] Trump: The First 100 Days

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by onejayhawk, Apr 16, 2017.

1. onejayhawk

onejayhawk Afflicted with reason

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  2. Senethro

Senethro Overlord

thus far his malice has been checked by his incompetence

unfortunately he has a lot of time to get practiced

Olleus likes this.
  3. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

Seems like he spends more time golfing than with the Third Lady.

4. civver_764

civver_764 Pro-Black

Seems like he's going back on the wall thing, which I was really concerned about, so that's a relief. I had a small hope that he would actually be non-interventionist, but looks like that was BS too. He's entertaining at least. TBH I get a sense of satisfaction watching liberals freak out about him, but I can't really say I support him in any capacity.

5. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

Considering that in your capacity as faithful Republican shill there is no indication that you ever had any fear at all this is a pretty meaningless statement to open an RD thread with. It should have been marked PP instead, for Pure Parody.

6. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

You could call him maliciously incompetent.

Trump and The Problem of Militant Ignorance

"What is endearing, terrifying and hilarious about Trump is not simply his ignorance, really his militant ignorance, but his complete lack of self-awareness about his ignorance. Trump told a reporter for The Wall Street Journal that his understanding of the problem of North Korea changed dramatically after hearing ten minutes of history from the President of China."

"So far the Trump Presidency has been a sort of Mr Magoo performance art in which the comically ignorant Trump learns elemental or basic things that virtually everyone in the world of politics or government already knew – things that the majority of adults probably know."

"What is key though is to understand that this is not just ignorance. Ignorance is just the first stage of Trump’s fairly advanced problem. He is not only ignorant but clearly unaware of his level of ignorance. This is compounded by a seeming inability to understand that everyone else isn’t equally ignorant to him."

7. onejayhawk

From what I can see as a Texas resident, border security has tightened significantly. Is that what you meant by BS?

That could have been written last fall.:mischief: Is there anything that might actually involve his first 100 days?

J

8. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

"What is endearing, terrifying and hilarious about Trump is not simply his ignorance, really his militant ignorance, but his complete lack of self-awareness about his ignorance. Trump told a reporter for The Wall Street Journal that his understanding of the problem of North Korea changed dramatically after hearing ten minutes of history from the President of China."

9. civver_764

civver_764 Pro-Black

I'm talking about dropping bombs.

10. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey Lord of Misrule

Now, there's a ringing endorsement!

Make America Less Bad Than You Feared

He's about what I feared. An ignoramus and simpleton whose few ideas are bad ideas, and all of whose defaults run to advantaging the already advantaged. I wonder how deep into his presidency he'll be telling us things are more complicated than anyone knew they were.

Tolni likes this.
  11. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

I think that is too forgiving. I think incompetently malicious is more on point. He's only done a small fraction of the harm that he desperately wants to do, and only his lack of ability has prevented it.

12. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

Given how far you are from the border, yes. It's as silly as Palin talking about keeping an eye on Putin from her porch.

13. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey Lord of Misrule

I'm not tired of winning yet. I can say that much.

Anything that one might have thought might make him effective, has already been shown not to be the case. His businessman savvy didn't turn out to give him ninja negotiation skills that could bring his party together over healthcare. His would-be populist power is undercut by his not having popularity. The idea that he might intimidate people into voting for his measures through his willingness to defy decorum and tweet-threaten recalcitrant Congresspeople has proven laughably unfounded. He's not going to "surround himself with the best people," because he need sycophantic loyalists; witness Kushner's overstuffed portfolio. Even he doesn't like the results of his chaos-based management style.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  14. onejayhawk

That's a valid point. Small, but valid.

Syria? I'll withhold opinion. It's still early. Dropping MOAC? He got that none right. Stepping up and taking his swings is probably a good thing. Now we have to see if he thinks it's his only option, like Bill Clinton did.

Actually, yes. I was greatly afraid that Trump would be so self absorbed and narcissistic that he could not function. That has proven unfounded. So the distinction is between working and not working, which is pretty big.

J

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  15. metalhead

metalhead Angry Bartender

Depends on your definition of "function." Most of the grunt work which has produced what few "accomplishments" this administration has is not done at the presidential level. The big things, the things which you'd expect the president to be involved in and which attach to a president's legacy so far have been across-the-board failures, namely the travel ban and Repeal and Replace.

He may be less bad than you feared, but he hasn't been good or done good for anyone, other than perhaps polluting industries and ICE. His first 100 days will have passed with no notable legislative accomplishments despite his party controlling both houses of Congress. That's an unpresidented failure.

16. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

You put Bill Clinton to shame, really you do. "Depends on what the definition of 'function' is"

17. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Me and my boss always have something to talk about on the way to work now. He picks me up on the way and gives me a ride and these days all we talk about is whatever stupid thing the Trump administration or member did the night before.

All in all it's good we aren't all dead yet, so I'll give him that

18. rah

rah Chieftain

Positive bonding with the boss is a good thing. Nice to know that some good is coming out of this. :D

19. onejayhawk

Don't tell my wife. She's very possessive.

This is interesting, from India. Congress dropped the ball.
    http://www.newindianexpress.com/wor...ongress-produce-few-victories-1591450--1.html

I think most Beltway Democrats would take issue. Trump has been very busy rolling back things. Where he could not end something, he has gotten the ball rolling to end seasoned regulation. Areas include EPA, pipelines, offshore drilling, ACA, school choice and abortion. No wall is going up, but border security is reported to be much tighter.

J

20. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Oh how the things turn, I used the F-word on skype in a message to him (the director of our entire department) today and called a project "completely F-d". Because it's a messy project and I'm the one designing and implementing it and it's just out of control and we're headed for trouble. He took it very very personally and later in person very sternly told me that I was way out of line.

I told him I would stop swearing to him over skype and apologized profusely, and said that he is the kind of boss I am comfortable swearing to if the situation warrants it. We made up and now no more swearing for me I guess. But the project is still heading in a horrible direction and I hope he got the message. It also helps (?) that I have a headache and might be coming down with something so I feel like crap.

All in all an interesting day