[RD] Trump: The First 100 Days

onejayhawk

Afflicted with reason
Last edited:
Seems like he's going back on the wall thing, which I was really concerned about, so that's a relief. I had a small hope that he would actually be non-interventionist, but looks like that was BS too. He's entertaining at least. TBH I get a sense of satisfaction watching liberals freak out about him, but I can't really say I support him in any capacity.

For myself, Trump has been less bad than I feared.

J

Considering that in your capacity as faithful Republican shill there is no indication that you ever had any fear at all this is a pretty meaningless statement to open an RD thread with. It should have been marked PP instead, for Pure Parody.

thus far his malice has been checked by his incompetence

You could call him maliciously incompetent.

Trump and The Problem of Militant Ignorance

"What is endearing, terrifying and hilarious about Trump is not simply his ignorance, really his militant ignorance, but his complete lack of self-awareness about his ignorance. Trump told a reporter for The Wall Street Journal that his understanding of the problem of North Korea changed dramatically after hearing ten minutes of history from the President of China."

"So far the Trump Presidency has been a sort of Mr Magoo performance art in which the comically ignorant Trump learns elemental or basic things that virtually everyone in the world of politics or government already knew – things that the majority of adults probably know."

"What is key though is to understand that this is not just ignorance. Ignorance is just the first stage of Trump’s fairly advanced problem. He is not only ignorant but clearly unaware of his level of ignorance. This is compounded by a seeming inability to understand that everyone else isn’t equally ignorant to him."

Seems like he's going back on the wall thing, which I was really concerned about, so that's a relief. I had a small hope that he would actually be non-interventionist, but looks like that was BS too. He's entertaining at least. TBH I get a sense of satisfaction watching liberals freak out about him, but I can't really say I support him in any capacity.
From what I can see as a Texas resident, border security has tightened significantly. Is that what you meant by BS?

Trump and The Problem of Militant Ignorance
That could have been written last fall.:mischief: Is there anything that might actually involve his first 100 days?

J

"What is endearing, terrifying and hilarious about Trump is not simply his ignorance, really his militant ignorance, but his complete lack of self-awareness about his ignorance. Trump told a reporter for The Wall Street Journal that his understanding of the problem of North Korea changed dramatically after hearing ten minutes of history from the President of China."

For myself, Trump has been less bad than I feared.

Now, there's a ringing endorsement!

Make America Less Bad Than You Feared

He's about what I feared. An ignoramus and simpleton whose few ideas are bad ideas, and all of whose defaults run to advantaging the already advantaged. I wonder how deep into his presidency he'll be telling us things are more complicated than anyone knew they were.

I think that is too forgiving. I think incompetently malicious is more on point. He's only done a small fraction of the harm that he desperately wants to do, and only his lack of ability has prevented it.

I'm not tired of winning yet. I can say that much.

Anything that one might have thought might make him effective, has already been shown not to be the case. His businessman savvy didn't turn out to give him ninja negotiation skills that could bring his party together over healthcare. His would-be populist power is undercut by his not having popularity. The idea that he might intimidate people into voting for his measures through his willingness to defy decorum and tweet-threaten recalcitrant Congresspeople has proven laughably unfounded. He's not going to "surround himself with the best people," because he need sycophantic loyalists; witness Kushner's overstuffed portfolio. Even he doesn't like the results of his chaos-based management style.

Last edited:
Given how far you are from the border, yes.
That's a valid point. Small, but valid.

I'm talking about dropping bombs.
Syria? I'll withhold opinion. It's still early. Dropping MOAC? He got that none right. Stepping up and taking his swings is probably a good thing. Now we have to see if he thinks it's his only option, like Bill Clinton did.

Now, there's a ringing endorsement!
Actually, yes. I was greatly afraid that Trump would be so self absorbed and narcissistic that he could not function. That has proven unfounded. So the distinction is between working and not working, which is pretty big.

J

Last edited:
Depends on your definition of "function." Most of the grunt work which has produced what few "accomplishments" this administration has is not done at the presidential level. The big things, the things which you'd expect the president to be involved in and which attach to a president's legacy so far have been across-the-board failures, namely the travel ban and Repeal and Replace.

He may be less bad than you feared, but he hasn't been good or done good for anyone, other than perhaps polluting industries and ICE. His first 100 days will have passed with no notable legislative accomplishments despite his party controlling both houses of Congress. That's an unpresidented failure.

Actually, yes. I was greatly afraid that Trump would be so self absorbed and narcissistic that he could not function.

You put Bill Clinton to shame, really you do. "Depends on what the definition of 'function' is"

Me and my boss always have something to talk about on the way to work now. He picks me up on the way and gives me a ride and these days all we talk about is whatever stupid thing the Trump administration or member did the night before.

All in all it's good we aren't all dead yet, so I'll give him that

Positive bonding with the boss is a good thing. Nice to know that some good is coming out of this. :D

You put Bill Clinton to shame, really you do."
Don't tell my wife. She's very possessive.

This is interesting, from India. Congress dropped the ball.
http://www.newindianexpress.com/wor...ongress-produce-few-victories-1591450--1.html

I think most Beltway Democrats would take issue. Trump has been very busy rolling back things. Where he could not end something, he has gotten the ball rolling to end seasoned regulation. Areas include EPA, pipelines, offshore drilling, ACA, school choice and abortion. No wall is going up, but border security is reported to be much tighter.

J

Positive bonding with the boss is a good thing. Nice to know that some good is coming out of this. :D

Oh how the things turn, I used the F-word on skype in a message to him (the director of our entire department) today and called a project "completely F-d". Because it's a messy project and I'm the one designing and implementing it and it's just out of control and we're headed for trouble. He took it very very personally and later in person very sternly told me that I was way out of line.

I told him I would stop swearing to him over skype and apologized profusely, and said that he is the kind of boss I am comfortable swearing to if the situation warrants it. We made up and now no more swearing for me I guess. But the project is still heading in a horrible direction and I hope he got the message. It also helps (?) that I have a headache and might be coming down with something so I feel like crap.

All in all an interesting day

Top Bottom