Trump to be Impeached

I couldn't agree more with this. What needs to be understood about global warming is that it's definitely a "things get a whole lot worse" scenario, involving phrases like the one I used: "large numbers of excess deaths". But it's not a "we all go extinct" scenario, at all. There's a tremendous amount of room between the two, and one of the failures of science communication on this has been to distinguish between them..

1,2,3 Degrees Celcius of climate change would be as you say disruptive and costly but humanity would adapt
The cut of point is around 6+ Degrees C in which the entire earth will be nothing like what we human civilisation have seen and will be reduce to high tech enclaves and compressed into the liveable bands of lands where the climate is survivable

I remember ages ago when I was a kid, and there was a program on remote viewing. Before the ideal of climate change enter the public sphere. The US remote viewers had written down a vision of the mediterranean where the French had set of nuclear bombs to expand the sea depth because of the rising sea levels.

Last edited:
I'm not sure where people are getting this
I remember ages ago when I was a kid, and there was a program on remote viewing. Before the ideal of climate change enter the public sphere. The US remote viewers had written down a vision of the mediterranean where the French had set of nuclear bombs to expand the sea depth because of the rising sea levels.

Hmm, nuking away they ocean floor would probably instantly release apocalyptic amounts of green house gasses ...

So if we're having sea level problems in the future and aren't afraid of all that ocean gas, then, with your remote viewing data, it definitely has nothing to do with gas emissions.

Award 1 point to Trump.

Yeah, there are large amounts of methane clathrates (basically, ice with lots of dissolved methane) on the ocean floor. This is the cause of some frantic "we're all going to die!" stuff about the clathrates releasing their methane in an enormous positive feedback loop that would raise the earth's temperature by like 8 C in a few decades. Luckily if there's one thing we're pretty sure of, it's that this is not going to happen to any appreciable degree. Unless we try to solve our rising sea levels by nuking enough ocean floor to compensate, of course. Those silly French. :lol:

To be clear, there have been substantial methane plumes observed in the ocean, and while this is a natural process it does increase as ocean temperatures rise. It just doesn't increase enough to be an especially major source of methane emissions, in large part because the ocean is actually undersaturated in methane and most of it dissolves before it even reaches the surface, and then gets oxidized to CO2/bicarbonate/carbonate in the ocean. Permafrost becoming rather less permanent is a much bigger problem, as (to a much lesser extent) are fugitive methane emissions from fracking and temperature-driven increases in methane from agriculture (rice fields and cows) and natural wetlands.

Or, you know, the constant attacks on military and veterans benefits that has been going on for the last eight years. The sad thing is it isn't just Democrats doing it either. A lot of Republicans are trying to get veterans benefits slashed as well. I don't think Trump is going to make good on any of his promises to veterans and soldiers, but his rhetoric about making sure we are taken care of definitely won him a lot of military support.

And if the hiring freeze of federal workers that he proposed is carried out, there goes what is by far the biggest source of good, secure jobs with benefits for veterans.

And if the hiring freeze of federal workers that he proposed is carried out, there goes what is by far the biggest source of good, secure jobs with benefits for veterans.

You don't have to tell me. I'm not fooled by his pro-veteran rhetoric, but I think a lot of veterans and current soldiers were.

although everyone knows he won't live on $400k/year.
I heard somewhere this morning that he will not be taking the salary but instead will work for $1 a year.

How long do you think the Trump supporters will wait for their pies in the sky before they can be convinced that Trump betrayed them?
The most fanatical core republican electorate is the very people their policies have the most screwed. I guess we can wait for a long time - they'll probably chalk up any failure of Trump on "the establishment" or whatever.

I mean this in the least offensive way possible: All of that really does just sound like wishful thinking on your part. If there were any way to stop Trump right now, it would have already been tried. He won fair and square according to the rules of our system, so we are just going to have to bite the bullet and deal with him for at least 4 years or until he does something he can be impeached for.

I never said that it wasn't wishful thinking. In fact it was in response to a post that said "I wish Clinton had provoked a constitutional crisis."

As to winning fair and square according to the rules of our system...I think I've made it pretty clear that I favored dissolution long before Trump came along, so standing on "hey, that's our system" doesn't really carry much weight with me. Trump is just a glaring example that our system is a failure, slightly more glaring than the rest.

Some would say he's still overpaid but I see this as a good sign.

[
Yeah, there are large amounts of methane clathrates (basically, ice with lots of dissolved methane) on the ocean floor. This is the cause of some frantic "we're all going to die!" stuff about the clathrates releasing their methane in an enormous positive feedback loop that would raise the earth's temperature by like 8 C in a few decades. Luckily if there's one thing we're pretty sure of, it's that this is not going to happen to any appreciable degree. Unless we try to solve our rising sea levels by nuking enough ocean floor to compensate, of course. Those silly French. :lol:

Urh, French actually Nuked large parts of Libyra to create an inland sea to aleviate the sea level rise. It actually looked like a large cresent that had been cut from the top of Africa
I had a quick look at the sahara sea a large basin actually exist, the idea of using nuclear weapons to cut a channel into this basin was first propsed by the French in 2012

I'd imagine if the threat of Rising sea water was threating and serious enough this project would be a actually viable

[

Urh, French actually Nuked large parts of Libyra to create an inland sea to aleviate the sea level rise. It actually looked like a large cresent that had been cut from the top of Africa
I had a quick look at the sahara sea a large basin actually exist, the idea of using nuclear weapons to cut a channel into this basin was first propsed by the French in 2012

I'd imagine if the threat of Rising sea water was threating and serious enough this project would be a actually viable

Using the estimated volume of the Qattara Depression and the estimated surface area of the ocean from Wikipedia and doing some quick and simple math we find that filling it would lower sea level by about two and a half millimeters. I don't see a significant impact there.

Well yeah, if people didn't mind the horrendous fallout everywhere. Nuking things from ground level (rather than deep underground) is really bad because a whole bunch of contaminated debris goes flying everywhere, making the fallout much worse than a midair explosion. The US and USSR both tried using nukes for civilian purposes but had awful results. See Operation Plowshare for the US version.

And filling the Qattara Depression would produce a fun new inland sea in Egypt, but it wouldn't do jack for sea level rise, as Tim said. There's not enough land below sea level anywhere on Earth to make a non-negligible difference.

That all reminds me of a time when that wasn't true: the Messinian salinity crisis, a time about 5.3-6.0 million years ago when the Mediterranean would periodically get closed off at the Straits of Gibraltar. Essentially the whole sea would have evaporated, leaving an enormous basin that reached 4 km/13000 ft below sea level. It was hyper-arid and extremely hot due to the low elevation, with summertime high temperatures reaching something like 60-70 C (140-158 F), and an air pressure 1.5 times the sea level pressure. There would have been some Dead Sea-like hypersaline brine pools at the bottom, but little else in terms of water. It's called a salinity crisis because it would have left behind vast salt deposits which were stranded there, reducing the salinity of the rest of the ocean after the Mediterranean evaporated. What's even cooler is that Africa is moving toward Europe, so this will happen again in a few million years and become rather more permanent as those continents collide.

If you posit some sort of collective memory or oral history going back far enough that is hypothetically the origin of great flood myths such as Atlantis.

He's going to make a lot of money being president anyway, he doesn't need that paltry 500k a year salary.

Precisely, other Presidents have put their assets in a blind trust to avoid any conflict of interest. Either Trump or his children will be running his complies, and so he'll be throwing a lot of business this way. This is similar to his renting office space in Trump Tower to his campaign at premium prices, and such as the Trump Foundation diverting charity funds to buy Trump sport memorabilia and portraits of himself and to pay off his court judgments.

Operation plowshare dose help explain why Republicans keep wining in the south (thats where all the fallout went :lol:)

What I remember seeing and what the sahara sea is looked completely different, either the French nuclear weapons triggered some kind of big seismic activity which cause a large breakage and collapse of the entire coast into the sea.
It was like a massive project on an enormous scale. I wouldn't put to much stock in it given that the CIA remote viewing project was scrapped as a total failure and waste of money the prediction rate did have some success but it was really low probability wise. Maybe an inland sea in Australia center might be viable

Well yeah, if people didn't mind the horrendous fallout everywhere. Nuking things from ground level (rather than deep underground) is really bad because a whole bunch of contaminated debris goes flying everywhere, making the fallout much worse than a midair explosion. The US and USSR both tried using nukes for civilian purposes but had awful results. See Operation Plowshare for the US version.

And filling the Qattara Depression would produce a fun new inland sea in Egypt, but it wouldn't do jack for sea level rise, as Tim said. There's not enough land below sea level anywhere on Earth to make a non-negligible difference.

That all reminds me of a time when that wasn't true: the Messinian salinity crisis, a time about 5.3-6.0 million years ago when the Mediterranean would periodically get closed off at the Straits of Gibraltar. Essentially the whole sea would have evaporated, leaving an enormous basin that reached 4 km/13000 ft below sea level. It was hyper-arid and extremely hot due to the low elevation, with summertime high temperatures reaching something like 60-70 C (140-158 F), and an air pressure 1.5 times the sea level pressure. There would have been some Dead Sea-like hypersaline brine pools at the bottom, but little else in terms of water. It's called a salinity crisis because it would have left behind vast salt deposits which were stranded there, reducing the salinity of the rest of the ocean after the Mediterranean evaporated. What's even cooler is that Africa is moving toward Europe, so this will happen again in a few million years and become rather more permanent as those continents collide.

50 faithless electors....

Huh, interesting. Another one for you. Pretend Hillary got elected. Bill would be 'First Dude'?
I'd think First Gentleman. Or First man, because gentleman is long. But I actually think the title would just be dropped for him. First Lady always had sexist undertones. Doesn't transfer well to a man. And while the American presidential spouse has a special role on a global scale, other nations do fine without a presidential spouse title.

Not gonna read the whole thing, so this may have been said...
Impeachment is only for things done while in office. Things that happened before aren't on the table to begin with.

Top Bottom