Trump vineyard seeks Labor Department approval to hire foreign workers

FriendlyFire

Codex WMDicanious
Make America Mexico great again
You would think Virginia a deep red state would employ American citizens first rather then mexicans. But somehow I suspect that Mexicans are likely to be forced into overtime and underpaid.

Trump vineyard seeks Labor Department approval to hire foreign workers

Trump, who is president of the Charlottesville vineyard that applied this month for H2 visas for six foreign workers, will soon run the U.S. government, which determines whether to grant those visas.

“This is a powerful example of why Donald Trump needs to make a definitive break, not just with his operational interests but his ownership interests, by appointing an independent trustee to liquidate all that,” said Norm Eisen, a visiting fellow at the Brookings Institution who was chief White House ethics lawyer for President Obama from 2009 to 2011.

Trump Vineyard Estates LLC filed a request Dec. 2 with the Labor Department for six H2 visas, which permit U.S. employers to hire foreigners for seasonal jobs such as pruning grapevines, which is what the request said. The request was posted online by the Labor Department on Wednesday and first reported by BuzzFeed News.

The workers are needed to prune the vines on the estate, the Labor application said, and they would be paid $10.72 per hour for a 40-hour, six-day week. The jobs are anticipated to last from January to June.

The winery, however, is on land owned by Trump Vineyard Estates LLC. Trump reported in his campaign’s federally required financial disclosure statement in May 2016 that he was president of that entity.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca..._story.html?tid=pm_pop&utm_term=.3ceddf4f4777

The Trump vineyard has applied for 19 temporary visas for foreign workers in 2014, 2015 and earlier this year as well, before the most recent request, according to federal records. In addition, he has sought to hire 513 foreign workers since 2013 for some of his other businesses, including for his Palm Beach home, Mar-a-Lago Club.

"...until the world comes to its senses regarding nukes."

Wonder what he considers "coming to its senses"? I think pretty much everyone but him thinks "have less, not more," which seems pretty sensible. It appears the only one who has yet to come to their senses is him.

Oh, I can trump that:

Trmup claims Berlin proves he was right about banning Muslims.... and we should have far more nukes!

From here: http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/746196/Donald-Trump-Muslim-ban-Berlin-terror-attack

and here: https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/811977223326625792?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

(the words of the great man himself)

Can't beat the Trump logic!

Just going to focus on this line as everything else does not hold any value to debate.

Trump claims Berlin proves he was right about banning Muslims... and we should have far more nukes!

Before we begin, yes I did change "Trmup" to "Trump" as that was bothering me (and I assume that is what you mean.)

And he has always said that his "radical" statements where starting points, just look at the debates (I don't remember which of the 3 nor when, but I am fairly certain I remember him saying on one of them.) and that his willing to negotiate them. (Example, he said he would be okay with a fence over a wall in some places in his interview on 20/20.)

As for nukes, well, the US is around the same strength as Russia and China (Note, not Russia and China combined.) (Nothing against Russia or China, but I'd just say its always best to have a stronger armed forces then anyone else.) and for the nukes, we are still using floppy disks! Yes, we are still using them to run our Nuclear and ICBM missile programs. This should come as a surprise (excluding the people who know this.), the article l I'll leave below says it should be updates by the end of 2017. So guess what Trump will be credited for that. To me, we do need to upgrade our nuclear arsenal, and having a weapon is different from actual using it. (Aka: We can have the nukes, but never "use" them. The only way they would be "used" is to deter war by stating we could "use" our nukes, but never do.)

Sources:

One of the debates, can't remember which one.

His 20/20 Interview.

http://www.businessinsider.com/these-are-the-worlds-20-strongest-militaries-ranked-2015-9

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/26/us/pentagon-floppy-disks-nuclear/

As for nukes, well, the US is around the same strength as Russia and China

no.

and for the nukes, we are still using floppy disks! Yes, we are still using them to run our Nuclear and ICBM missile programs.

"kind of". The USA ballistic missile silo program is on a system disparate of current world wide web technology, as it should be. It gets its own upgrades and those are subject to such privacy, they're never the subject of data that could possibly be in legitimate media. This is a percentage of nuclear launch capability, I will 100% guarantee you ballistic subs, cruisers and strategic bombers do not run on floppy disks.

To me, we do need to upgrade our nuclear arsenal, and having a weapon is different from actual using it.

Really, we don't.

no. A modern military in terms of sheer numbers is no indication of projectable force. China, for example, can't project far past its borders. There's also the concept of a decentralized command and control, and this effectively makes militaries mince meat when the lights go out. Without these important considerations, a list is meaningless. In '91, Iraq had the 3rd or 4th "largest military", and it was dead in the water (sand?) within 48 hours.

Thanks for the click bait, though.

Trump, who is president of the Charlottesville vineyard that applied this month for H2 visas for six foreign workers, will soon run the U.S. government, which determines whether to grant those visas.

Uhm don't you guys have conflict of interest type laws that would prevent stuff like this from happening?

As for nukes, well, the US is around the same strength as Russia and China (Note, not Russia and China combined.) (Nothing against Russia or China, but I'd just say its always best to have a stronger armed forces then anyone else.) and for the nukes, we are still using floppy disks! Yes, we are still using them to run our Nuclear and ICBM missile programs. This should come as a surprise (excluding the people who know this.), the article l I'll leave below says it should be updates by the end of 2017. So guess what Trump will be credited for that. To me, we do need to upgrade our nuclear arsenal, and having a weapon is different from actual using it. (Aka: We can have the nukes, but never "use" them. The only way they would be "used" is to deter war by stating we could "use" our nukes, but never do.)

There are two critical points here.

One: The idea that nuclear weapons is a numbers game where having the most is the important factor.

An effective nuclear deterrent is enough nuclear weapons that you can deliver reliably on target to make attacking you a non-starter. Since we could kill about 80% of the population of either Russia or China using less than half of our nuclear capability there is no doubt that we have more than enough. A cost effective nuclear deterrent means enough nuclear weapons and no more than is enough. Nuclear weapons themselves are very high maintenance. Not that they are terribly complicated, but they irradiate the material around them, and irradiated material becomes unreliable. And the cost of maintaining them, in terms of radiation exposure to the workers, is very high. So the idea that we need more than we have is patently absurd.

Two: The floppy disk panic rhetoric.

They run on floppy disks. So what? Military capability is actually not measured in technological wow factor. Can the existing system reliably deliver nuclear destruction? Why, yes, it can. That is all that matters.

Because it is a parallel that I am familiar with: the only thing that matters in submarine warfare is silence. The quieter ship wins. EVERY time. When I served, US submarines were the most quiet in the world. By a huge margin. Technological marvels. One of the major systems I was responsible for ran on magnetic amplifiers. Mag Amp technology was obsolete before even I was born. The guy who invented them rode to work on a HORSE. That system performed its function, and imposed no limitations on the effectiveness of the ship.

Uhm don't you guys have conflict of interest type laws that would prevent stuff like this from happening?

This is an intentionally, confusingly worded article. I suppose it's not out of the realm of possibility influential government people can push immigrating individuals toward the front of the line, but it's frowned upon, so much so that Obama didn't even do it with his own relatives. (Yes, he was born in Hawaii, he still has aunts and uncles in Kenya).

I mean, if you are elected president, you'd think you'd have to quit your role as president of other organizations, assuming they interact with the U.S. government on a regular basis. If not, you better have a strong independent commission that determines whether elected officials are not breaching conflict of interest regulations.

Even if you're not pushing people to the front of the line, you can still have a lot of influence over the process in a position as powerful as the U.S. presidency

I mean, if you are elected president, you'd think you'd have to quit your role as president of other organizations, assuming they interact with the U.S. government on a regular basis. If not, you better have a strong independent commission that determines whether elected officials are not breaching conflict of interest regulations.

Even if you're not pushing people to the front of the line, you can still have a lot of influence over the process in a position as powerful as the U.S. presidency

Do you think Canadian intelligence doesn't forward collaborating expatriates' citizenship status for protection? It happens everywhere, generally for better reasons, though, than "he's so good at working on my grapes".

He's a hypocrite? I'm shocked!

How is he a hypocrite? (Note: This is an honest question, I don't see it so if you would point it out I would be very appreciative.)

He isn't even in office yet, and he's already the crappiest president ever (sorry JFK!)

How is he bad? He has not even had a chance nor done anything, yet people sit here and criticize him.

(The following is from AppleDumplingHead, just need to divide the following in to smaller quotes.)

Okay, I'll admit I was wrong there, I meant Armed Forces, not nukes.

"kind of". The USA ballistic missile silo program is on a system disparate of current world wide web technology, as it should be. It gets its own upgrades and those are subject to such privacy, they're never the subject of data that could possibly be in legitimate media. This is a percentage of nuclear launch capability, I will 100% guarantee you ballistic subs, cruisers and strategic bombers do not run on floppy disks.

So, "No one out side the government can't know this for sure, but I can sit here and tell you that this is 100% not the case." No, just no. That statement is conflicts with its self.

Really, we don't.

Why not? You are saying that is okay to let other nations surpass us in nuclear tech?

no. A modern military in terms of sheer numbers is no indication of projectable force. China, for example, can't project far past its borders. There's also the concept of a decentralized command and control, and this effectively makes militaries mince meat when the lights go out. Without these important considerations, a list is meaningless. In '91, Iraq had the 3rd or 4th "largest military", and it was dead in the water (sand?) within 48 hours.

To be fair, the article said it was quite hard to determine and only looked at sheer numbers. Everything else is Strategy.

I'd just like to put this as a side note. (Again, sorry China and nothing against you, but I just have to look at the facts.) China has a huge advantage over us in all points for one big reason, our economy. If China wanted to, they could put a ban on trading with us which would then cause our economy to collapse. This would be even more devastating if we had a Liberal President as the first thing to be reduced would the armed forces. Anyway we could no longer sustain our economy for at least a few months (I'm just guessing there, but it sounds about right to me if we had a good present (aka: Trump) and a government that is willing to work with him/her.) that is plenty of time for us to near collapsing and a perfect time to invade. (Again, nothing against China, its just matter of time before someone who thinks like that comes into power for any nation.)

Thanks for the click bait, though.

What click bait?

(The next round is from Timsup2nothin, just need to brake it down again.)

There are two critical points here.

One: The idea that nuclear weapons is a numbers game where having the most is the important factor.

An effective nuclear deterrent is enough nuclear weapons that you can deliver reliably on target to make attacking you a non-starter. Since we could kill about 80% of the population of either Russia or China using less than half of our nuclear capability there is no doubt that we have more than enough. A cost effective nuclear deterrent means enough nuclear weapons and no more than is enough. Nuclear weapons themselves are very high maintenance. Not that they are terribly complicated, but they irradiate the material around them, and irradiated material becomes unreliable. And the cost of maintaining them, in terms of radiation exposure to the workers, is very high. So the idea that we need more than we have is patently absurd.

I never said we need more, I said we need newer nukes.

Two: The floppy disk panic rhetoric.

They run on floppy disks. So what? Military capability is actually not measured in technological wow factor. Can the existing system reliably deliver nuclear destruction? Why, yes, it can. That is all that matters.

Because it is a parallel that I am familiar with: the only thing that matters in submarine warfare is silence. The quieter ship wins. EVERY time. When I served, US submarines were the most quiet in the world. By a huge margin. Technological marvels. One of the major systems I was responsible for ran on magnetic amplifiers. Mag Amp technology was obsolete before even I was born. The guy who invented them rode to work on a HORSE. That system performed its function, and imposed no limitations on the effectiveness of the ship.

First off, I was never panicking. I was just stating a fact.

Second, I agree with you on the "technological wow factor", but surely the 60 mil we spend on maintenance for the old tech would be cheaper for newer stuff. (Yes, I am aware of the security holes and I'm not an expert [more accurately, I have barely any knowledge it that area.] but I'm sure they could come up with something.)

Third, if what we have is sufficient, then why are other nations upgrading their nukes to more modern tech and we aren't?

Fourth, so you're saying running around with old tech is okay? I would bet your using a computer that is at least halfway modern, so why not use an old one?

And one final note (To everyone I quoted.) these are honest questions, I don't understand the Anti-Trump logic, but I would very much like to, even if I don't agree with it.

China has a huge advantage over us in all points for one big reason, our economy.

no.

If China wanted to, they could put a ban on trading with us which would then cause our economy to collapse.

no. If China plummeted tomorrow into civil war, it would wreck our economy, but it's for different reasons than were they to just say "we don't trade with you anymore", which would have a disastrous effect on their currency and we'd pick up the slack from their lost trade.

Why not? You are saying that is okay to let other nations surpass us in nuclear tech?

Proliferation isn't this.

So, "No one out side the government can't know this for sure, but I can sit here and tell you that this is 100% not the case." No, just no. That statement is conflicts with its self.

Correct. I'm going to unequivocally go out on a limb and say the government did not give CNN all details to the structure and status of the USA ICBM silo program.

Do you think Canadian intelligence doesn't forward collaborating expatriates' citizenship status for protection? It happens everywhere, generally for better reasons, though, than "he's so good at working on my grapes".

I'm not sure how that's related to what you quoted that I wrote though?

Wonder what he considers "coming to its senses"? I think pretty much everyone but him thinks "have less, not more," which seems pretty sensible.

It would seem sensible until you realize the existence of nuclear arsenals are the main reason there hasn't been another world war in 71 years. Getting rid of nukes would be extremely bad for global peace and stability.

Plus, we're going to need as many nukes as we can get when the aliens invade...

I think reigniting a nuclear arms race is appropriate given this is the season of lights. This is just Trump and Putin getting into the spirit. No need for alarm.

Just saying "no." holds no value if you don't explain why.

no. If China plummeted tomorrow into civil war, it would wreck our economy, but it's for different reasons than were they to just say "we don't trade with you anymore", which would have a disastrous effect on their currency and we'd pick up the slack from their lost trade.

How would it have a disastrous effect on their currency? And how would we pick up the slack from their lost trade? We barely have nay companies still in the US.

Proliferation isn't this.

I never said to increase the amount of nukes we have (Nor did Trump as far as I can remember.), I said to update the technology. There is a difference.

Correct. I'm going to unequivocally go out on a limb and say the government did not give CNN all details to the structure and status of the USA ICBM silo program.

I for sure hope they did not, but seeing leaders like Obama get elected and people like Hillary running for president (*cough* C dose not stand for "Classified" *cough*) I would not be surprised if they did. (example: Lets go on TV and say in a few days we are going to attack ISIS at X place at Y time with Z troops and A plan. then wonder why our targets where not there and we lost more troop lives that we needed to.)

Now on a side note...

It would seem sensible until you realize the existence of nuclear arsenals are the main reason there hasn't been another world war in 71 years. Getting rid of nukes would be extremely bad for global peace and stability.

Fully agree with this. excluding the Aliens part.

It's really hard to prove that. Both World Wars have been started in Europe, by Europeans. One could just as well claim that the EU is what is maintaining peace, but clearly that is not the only factor. Nuclear weapons are a deterrent, but they are not the only deterrent. Especially not in a world that is so connected and dependent on trade as ours is. One could also say that big wars have been substituted by proxy wars, which have terrorized the middle east and Latin America for half a century. This goes on ad infinitum. I am not certain that I agree or disagree with the statement "main reason", it certainly is one of the most important reasons for sure.

How would it have a disastrous effect on their currency? And how would we pick up the slack from their lost trade? We barely have nay companies still in the US.

This is not a one-way street. Stopping trade between China and the US would hurt both economies greatly. The US has diversified their exports more than China has, so there is a chance that they could recover, but the initial blow is arguably worse for them. This is not an easy scenario one can reduce to a couple of sentences, you need to factor in export, import, currency on a global scale, the effect on other competitors and many other factors. One thing is damn sure though, it would not be beneficial for either party to enter a war.

Top Bottom