1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Trumpet of Doom

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by 6K Man, Jun 20, 2019.

?

When I hear the war trumpet unexpectedly, I:

Poll closed Jul 4, 2019.
  1. Jump, from being startled

69.2%
  2. Hope against hope I'm not the target

69.2%
  3. Curl into a ball and cry

7.7%
  4. Say "Ha haaaaa, sucks to be you, Gandhi-man"

30.8%
  5. Resent that someone else is gonna get the war spoils that are your due

15.4%
  6. What war trumpet? My default setting is AW

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Restart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. 6K Man

6K Man Bureaucrat

Self-explanatory poll. I've been playing the game for 10+ years and every time I hear that damn trumpet when I am focused on something else, I pretty much jump out of my chair.

Choose up to 3 responses.

2. Windsor

Windsor Flawless

That war trumpet is scary as hell if it's unexpected. Have certainly panicked a few times.

3. s.bernbaum

s.bernbaum Mostly lurking

Jump about a foot from being startled. Of course, the same thing happens when the phone rings and I am concentrating on the game.

4. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

My computer is right behind where my wife watches TV, so the odds are the volume is down and I never hear it.

5. ArchGhost

ArchGhost Chieftain

Just the normal trumpet (or the peace horns) don't usually provoke a reaction from me. Usually I'm pretty good at watching the borders and expect it.

However when I'm playing a map with many opponents, Earth18 or just a marathon/18civ game for fun or something, if multiple horns are queued up in the event scroll and haven't sounded yet before I click end turn, they ALL sound immediately. THAT is very loud and startling, just like when you select and mass upgrade units and all the snare rolls play at once :crazyeye:

Orion Pax likes this.
  6. djdazi180

djdazi180 Chieftain

I think you could condition me just with Civ 4 Sounds from the emotions linked with them lol

7. Orion Pax

Orion Pax Chieftain

^This. Totally makes me jump. Like when there are 18 civs and you’re the only one running Confucianism so half of them dogpile you at once. Yeah. Wakes you up.

Also: those happy cheers startle me equally. So sharp and it’s unclear how many will rattle off. Seems like these aren’t affected by lowering sound effect volume either..

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  8. twansalem

twansalem Chieftain

I haven't played with the sound on in years. So I've forgotten most of the in game sounds, including this one.

9. lindsay40k

lindsay40k Chieftain

...I hear it in other contexts

A few years ago, there was a drama series based on Shaka screened on UK telly. Come this episode, five seconds after 18:20, I reflexively sang BABABA BABABAAAH to the bemusement of my family