1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Trump's Chances

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by onejayhawk, Jul 19, 2019.

?

What are the Chances Trump will be Reelected

This poll will close on Dec 31, 2019 at 1:37 PM.
  1. Statistical Certainty > 95%

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Money in the bank - 75%-95%

6 vote(s)
    9.7%
  3. Solid choice - 55%-75%

18 vote(s)
    29.0%
  4. Pick 'em - 45%-55%

17 vote(s)
    27.4%
  5. Not good - 25%-45%

11 vote(s)
    17.7%
  6. Sucker bet - 5%-25%

3 vote(s)
    4.8%
  7. Not Happening <5%

3 vote(s)
    4.8%
  8. Glacier melt floods Washington

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  1. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Chieftain

I don't regard Elizabeth Warren as far left, Bernie yeah.

But in American as a whole far left is a minority. They underperformed in 2018, the moderates did alit better.

And the election will be won or lost in the suburbs.

Even if the Democrats win in 2029 without the Senate there's limits to what they can do. They can block supreme Court judges but can't appoint them either.

A lot if the far left ideas won't work either, some versions of the green new desk. Warren's policies are actually achievable. Maybe not all of them but her tax the rich idea is comparatively modest.

Personally I would vote for any of them over Trump but a few I can't see doing very well in places that matter. Nominating a gay, minority or women may also be a bad idea.

Note fair, nope but if you want to win you need to stack the deck best as you can.

If a centrist like Hilary doesn't appeal how about that hard right Trump fella 2016 yay.

Harris and Warren are really the only female ones that matter, could change Gillibrand wouldn't be awful.

Most of the men don't matter or would be a bad idea. Alot of populist ideas won't actually work or if they do not in the time frame the nutters want.

If the world's biggest liberal wins in 2020, reality will hit. Even if they can pass legislation fixing things are going to take more than a decade. Think more like two or three decades.

Your not really voting for yourself, more your children. It took the GoP 40 years to get to this point.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  2. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

Cloud isn't an American

3. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

oooooops. Old and feeble for the win. :lol:

4. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

Nibelheimian?

5. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

I hear you can be warm for the rest of your life there.

6. innonimatu

innonimatu Warlord

And that explains why it is so hard for the left to win: anything they do will be mis-constructed in propaganda against them in the mass media.

The one way to defeat that is to play it like Trump. As things stand the left needs a real populist to win an election next year. Unfortunately Sanders can't act that way, he's too serious.

7. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

8. mitsho

mitsho Chieftain

By the ways, how good would Pence‘s chance be? Or would they be able to field anyone else in the time? I don‘t expect Trump to step down or anything, but a heart attack can happen at any time or a very sudden change of heart by Republican Senators...

9. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Warlord

This is funny because I made a comment like this somewhere else. It is more a mission of dragging that Overton Window away from the pillagers and back to the builders. We want to build a sustainable, functional world economy.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/a...ts-are-experiencing-clash-generations/594808/

What I see here is a more historically minded politics than moderates are giving the new left credit for. The books do not reflect a quest for “the emotional satisfaction of their own purity,” to quote Maureen Dowd, but a keen interest in studying the right. What the Justice Democrats think they are doing is not creating the Freedom Caucus of the left, but rather, the Reagan revolution in reverse.

Like the conservative movement, which launched the Heritage Foundation in 1973, failed to oust Gerald Ford in 1976 in favor of Ronald Reagan, only finally to win in 1980, the new left is set on a more distant prize. Sanders, the 77-year-old who sparked the Millennial left in 2016, is really their Barry Goldwater, the failed Republican nominee who, in 1964, brought movement conservatism to life.

danjuno, Socrates99 and brennan like this.
  10. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Warlord

I don't think Pence would do that well. He has none of Trump's charisma and all of his off-putting asshat tendencies.

Narz likes this.
  11. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

He was a strategic pick to placate the religious right that they thought would be turned off by the immoral Trump. He'd have a tough time pulling off a victory. The VPs in 2016 was essentially "battle of the bland white guys."

I'd imagine if Trump passed or couldn't go on for medical reasons the GoP would go back to a primary. Not sure who'd get it. Kasich, Cruz, Rubio? Maybe Crenshaw or Cotton would give it a stab...that could be worse than Trump. Theyre both super hawkish.

12. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Warlord

@onejayhawk Does it not worry you that it is becoming increasingly clear that some of these old guard conservatives are comfortable, if not love, the racism that comes out of Trumps mouth?

13. onejayhawk

onejayhawk Afflicted with reason

Increasingly clear to whom?

I only hear Trump is racist from people that call every Republican racist. No one with a shred of independence thinks of him as racist or of his campaign as pandering to racism. What is becoming increasingly clear is a tone of desperation in the accusations. On another note, minorities don't agree with the characterization. Jobs and things like First Step Act speak louder than supposed words.

As to the old guard, getting comfortable is not the way I would put it. An old guard publication, New Republic, phrased it this way.

They are failing to make the distinction between Trump’s policies and his mannerisms. No serious person can dispute the president’s economic successes (especially the virtual elimination of unemployment and energy imports),...​
    https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/07/the-trump-steamroller/

It's a long recital of what Trump has done that old line Republicans like. That is hardly a call to racism.

14. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Warlord

I can't help it if you continue to ignore reality Onejayhawk, you can stick your head in the ground because i guess to you it's just a total coincidence that he's viewed as a racist, both by anti-racists and those who are for racism.

Broken, worm-riddled brains.

15. onejayhawk

onejayhawk Afflicted with reason

I suspect you and I would disagree on who was racist and who was anti-racist, but broken, worm riddled brains apply to both.

16. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

It applies to your entire political system.

17. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Warlord

I'm not the one genuinely arguing that Trump isn't a racist, you are Jay, okay? I'm going by the man's own words, his actions, his rhetoric during his life and career, but you don't, your brain isn't able to accept the facts of the situation and thats on you, that's your problem that you have deal with.

If you think he isn't a racist then i respectfully submit that you have no actual understanding of what "racist" or "racism" entails. Do i need to bring up Birtherism? The Central Park 5? ****hole countries? Mud huts? Telling 4 women of colour to "go back"? His rhetoric on mexicans? His treatment of PoC's? It's not a coincidence that he keeps being labelled a racist it's because he is one.

I'm not the one with a broken, worm riddled brain, who refuses to accept the reality in front of me because it's politically inconveniant, because it makes me feel uncomfortable, because i'm so far in denial that i must bend over backwards to rationalize his racism.

18. cardgame

cardgame Sensual Kitten

No one with a shred of independence thinks of this woman as racist or of her attitude as enabling to white supremacism. What is becoming increasingly clear is a tone of self-victimization and virtue signaling by people of color and their allies. It's not like she punched anyone, and actions speak louder than words.

19. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Warlord

Trump could go on stage and kill a dog infront of a live audience, whilst claiming he loves dogs and that he would never harm them and his supporters would still believe him and call any attempt to point out the inconsistany fake news, even as they are shown the footage.

He literally said as much when he claimed he could shoot someone and get off with it.

This is what i mean about broken brains, there's something not entirely right with these people.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    danjuno and cardgame like this.
  20. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

The irony is so thick even Scrooge McDuck couldn't swim through it lol.