1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Trump's Chances

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by onejayhawk, Jul 19, 2019.

?

What are the Chances Trump will be Reelected

This poll will close on Dec 31, 2019 at 1:37 PM.
  1. Statistical Certainty > 95%

3 vote(s)
    4.8%
  2. Money in the bank - 75%-95%

6 vote(s)
    9.5%
  3. Solid choice - 55%-75%

18 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. Pick 'em - 45%-55%

17 vote(s)
    27.0%
  5. Not good - 25%-45%

11 vote(s)
    17.5%
  6. Sucker bet - 5%-25%

3 vote(s)
    4.8%
  7. Not Happening <5%

3 vote(s)
    4.8%
  8. Glacier melt floods Washington

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  1. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Warlord

Even if we were to ignore his racism, Trump is still a garbage human being.

He's the same dude who, during the actual attack on the twin towers, boasted that his building was the tallest, even as smoke and dust still lingered in the air.

This is who the republican party goes to bat for, a sociopath, a scumbag, a parody of a decent human being, a man so removed from reality that he lies with the same ease as a person breathes. The GoP and by extension their supporters/enablers/voters have had their moral consciences decay, be it through age, willful ignorance or just through sheer indifference.

2. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

If you don't think Trump is a racist, you are a racist

Socrates99, cardgame and Cloud_Strife like this.
  3. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Warlord

At the very least, if you don't think Trump is a racist you are on the same wave length as a racist and are comfortable with it enough to deflect.

4. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

I won't argue against that.

I will argue that "go back to your country" in the context of someone who is explicitly saying bad things about the US is not "racist". It's petty and inappropriate, but countries aren't races and competent argumentation does assert otherwise.

Broadly speaking:
    1. There are enough legitimate reasons to dislike Trump without needing to fabricate additional ones, both at the personal and policy level.
    2. "Racist" gets thrown around like candy to the point where it seems the accusers are doing more to desensitize people to it than the actual racists. As a card it is almost constantly overplayed, and I use this terminology because in many cases the people crying "racism" aren't the supposedly offended party. It's similar to "America is the world's police" but at the social level. You get some actual terrorists/racists but also so many "terrorists/racists" that people start questioning motives.

5. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Warlord

So if it wasn't racist, why is he explicitly telling 4 women of colour, 3 of which were actually born in the United States, to leave their country and return from whence they came?

Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm worried about your spinal health, that's all.

6. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

I was under the impression that he had one particular person in mind, even if he was dishonest about that. Though you don't have to be racist to dislike any of those 4 particular women either. In some ways they remind me of him.

7. Old Hippy

Old Hippy Chieftain

because he wants to trigger the Dem party and make them circle the wagons around them thus making the far left the centre of the 2020 election campaign
    the 4 women of color are your words not Trumps.., 'the squad'... polling shows that they are not that popular with centre left democrats and independents.9%up to 20%(in AOC case)
    seems to be working...

8. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

>Claims to be a leftist
    >Thinks "the squad" are "far left"

Socrates99 and danjuno like this.
  9. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

While I have to somewhat agree that by itself it isn't racist. Similar to his calling Baltimore a rat-infested hell hole. But there seems to be a pattern on who he complains about. I haven't heard him say these things to old white guys, so you have to kind of wonder. I'm leaning towards racist. But even giving him the benefit of the doubt, (which I don't) it make him a huge asswipe. And I expect better from our president.

10. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

It's hilarious because white teenagers aren't in any doubt about whether the President is racist, which is why they use his image and slogans to engage in self-consciously racist bullying of their non-white peers. But white adults tend to have accumulated layers of mental bullfeathers which function to obscure the plain truth of racism.

Socrates99, cardgame and danjuno like this.
  11. Senethro

Senethro Overlord

So is this a claim that Trump was not acting racistly in his speaking. Instead, he was performing similar actions to a racist solely for political advantage, but was not actually racist himself.

Maybe Trump is a p-zombie and cannot experience a racist thought.

danjuno likes this.
  12. Old Hippy

Old Hippy Chieftain

I claim to be left of centre... having just lost our own federal government election to the right... mainly because they made it about our far left activists...
    I am glad you are so happy supporting the Squad... you obviously have a winning platform in 2020...best of luck

13. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Do you really think a bigtime narcissist would say bad things about people actually supporting him? I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt, especially because doing so doesn't change conclusions about his general practices or his policies. Also because the narcissism aspect predicts so much of his behavior by itself.

Doesn't polling data suggest this? They take more extreme positions than others in their party, they poll more like fringe candidates than mainstream, and they're certainly not on the right.

14. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

Not all old white guys support him. (myself included)

15. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Not that many are prominently against him on social media/media call-outs in general.

And among those that do, consider Trump's comments about Biden for example.

16. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

I don't remember trump telling Biden to go back to his hell hole of a country.

Lexicus likes this.
  17. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

No, he used different insults. You claimed he doesn't complain about old white men, but this clearly isn't true. He will complain about anybody he considers even somewhat noteworthy that doesn't like him, and is likely to say some questionable things regardless.

18. Senethro

Senethro Overlord

What line is being defended here? What advantage is being sought in trying to whitewash over some racist speech as being not racist because the speaker insults everyone?

Socrates99, hobbsyoyo and Lexicus like this.
  19. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Separating reality from nonsense. There's plenty to dislike with the reality, so you don't need the nonsense.

20. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

Well, in reality, what he said was racist.

No, that is a lie about what rah said. Trump has never told an old white man to go back to his country and you know it.

You want to talk Occam's Razor, the occam's razor-consistent explanation for why you genuinely see it as "reality" that Trump's comments weren't racist is that you are a racist.

klar_heiland and hobbsyoyo like this.