Jury selection to begin in New York City Trump Tower protest lawsuit

Efrain Galicia, an activist of Mexican origin who claims that Donald Trump’s security guards roughed him up outside Trump Tower during a peaceful protest in September 2015, will have an opportunity to bring these allegations before a jury this week.​
On Monday, jury selection will start in the New York City civil trial over Galicia’s allegations that Trump’s security guard roughed him up at “the express or implied direction” of Trump. Galicia and several other activists filed a suit against Trump and a handful of the then presidential candidate’s cronies days after the incident, alleging assault and battery.​
And if the jury in this case does what Bronx juries tend to do, Trump might feel significant consequences, legal veterans tell the Guardian. “I’m a civil rights lawyer. If I can get a case into the Bronx, I’ll move heaven and earth,” said Randolph McLaughlin, Pace University law school professor and co-chair of Newman Ferrara LLP’s civil rights practice group. “Bronx juries, they engage in Robinhood-ism. They take from the rich and give to the rest of us – their verdicts are always generally right at the ceiling.”​

Trump Rape Accuser Filing New Defamation Suit Using His Latest Attacks On Truth Social​

Trump's defense against the writer's suit has been that his derogatory comments were protected as president. But he repeated them as a private citizen.
https://www.huffpost.com/author/mary-s-papenfuss
By Mary Papenfuss
Nov 12, 2022, 07:49 PM EST

So... any predictions on Trump's announcement tonight? I think the general presumption is that he's going to announce a presidential campaign for 2024.

He will put it off.

My guess? He's joining the new Saudi-financed LV pro for tour.

I don't see Benedict Donald having submit to election financing regulations concerning the hundreds of millions in cash he's received from his deluded loyalists.

So... any predictions on Trump's announcement tonight? I think the general presumption is that he's going to announce a presidential campaign for 2024.

He is going to declare Juan Guaido the winner of the 2022 midterm elections.

What a great memory! Thanks.

When Trump wins the Republican nomination again they will all get back in line.

That's the interesting thing. Will Pence and DeSantis split the anti-Trump vote? Will some moderate governor that has stayed out of the fray over the last few years jump in?

Idk, I think Trump is just using his announcement to raise money and shield himself from prosecution. His wave is passing and as much as he wants to revive it, he will only have his hardest core left by the time 024 gets going in earnest. There was a story this morning that when folks at Mar a Lago for his speech tried to leave before it was over, security prevented them. Sounds about right. Somebody should have hit a fire alarm!

Idk, I think Trump is just using his announcement to raise money and shield himself from prosecution. His wave is passing and as much as he wants to revive it, he will only have his hardest core left by the time 024 gets going in earnest. There was a story this morning that when folks at Mar a Lago for his speech tried to leave before it was over, security prevented them. Sounds about right. Somebody should have hit a fire alarm!

We tend to repeat the mistake of forgetting how powerful Trump's narcissism is.

he's narcissistic for sure but I think
1) things are in a bit more serious state than in 2016 for Republicans to want to take the kinds of risks that they did back then (i.e. "trolling" and "sticking it to" the liberal establishment, e.g. running against some frumpy old lady like Hillary Clinton who's been in and out of politics for like 25 years before then anyway)
and 2) voters tend to be respectful of the idea that you have one shot at the title and that's it, let's let some new blood in there, etc.

So I don't think he'll go far
but hey I'm usually wrong...

A DOJ indictment may well chill his support from the less frenzied supporters. I'm pretty sure the Mar a Lago documents will earn him the first indictment.

That's the interesting thing. Will Pence and DeSantis split the anti-Trump vote? Will some moderate governor that has stayed out of the fray over the last few years jump in?
That's certainly what happened last time. The Republican field was overcrowded and nobody was able to get above the plurality that Trump garnered, so one by one they fell by the wayside until only Trump was left. The same thing is going to happen this time around.
Trump has about 30-ish percent of the Republican voters completely and irreversibly locked down. They will stick with him no matter what. I think the decision for Trump to announce he was running super early, and before anyone else was a shrewd move. In the 2016 race he could afford to wait, and then take the field by storm as the latest hottest big thing... but this time around he has no element of surprise to elevate him. What he is probably better off doing, and what he seems to be doing, is announcing first so he can get voters to commit to him mentally and emotionally, before anyone else, DeSantis for example, even has a chance at courting those voters.

DeSantis won't announce right away, despite being able to, because in traditional thinking, it makes him look like a fraud for running for Governor when he knew all along that he was intending to abandon the state and run for POTUS. He thinks that he has to at least pretend that he wanted to be Governor. Trump is taking full advantage of that, as he always takes advantage of people who have even a modicum of scruples. Once people pick a candidate, they will be reluctant to switch horses because it is tantamount to admitting they were wrong and/or made a mistake.

Trump knows this. That's why he is getting in first. If he can get people to quickly bite down on his candidacy, especially his candidacy, because he is such a controversial figure in the first place and openly supporting him creates lasting baggage for his supporters... they will be emotionally committed to the ledge they have walked out onto and they will have to jump, rather than tuck tail, admit they were wrong, and switch to someone else. Trump has around 30% locked in already, he just needs to get about 10% more and as long as there are at least 2 more candidates in the race, he will gain the coveted, "presumptive nominee" moniker in the news-media, which will make it nearly impossible to unseat him. That's what happened in 2016. Trump didn't have a majority, but Kasich and Cruz both stubbornly refused to drop out (Kasich, arguably out of principle and Cruz mostly out of a lust for power and ego/naïve disbelief that he could lose to Trump), so neither of them could gain enough support to eclipse Trump.

If the Republican party truly wanted to move on from Trump, which it isn't even clear that a majority/plurality even want...what the Republicans would have to do, now, before the race really gets started... is do what the Democrats eventually did in the 2020 race with Biden. The Republicans would have to settle on a consensus candidate, fully commit to that candidate, and essentially kick every other serious candidate out of the running. Essentially, the republicans would have to do what the Democrats did in 2016. Crown one candidate from the very beginning in order to freeze Trump and his 30% support out. Of course that would possibly doom them to a similar fate to what Democrats suffered with Hilarly... a dejected base.

Last edited:
A DOJ indictment may well chill his support from the less frenzied supporters. I'm pretty sure the Mar a Lago documents will earn him the first indictment.

Rather the opposite. He is the persecuted victim of the woke fatwa.

Top Bottom