Try-03: The Viking Conquest

Yup. Got to get the city productive asap. Mining > BW > Agric > (Wheel?) > Sailing > Masonry. Two good food sources and no hills means we'll be relying mainly on the whip for production.

A secondary reason for going for the Colossus was that the GM would be great to get CoL to help us get Civil Service too getting the berserkers on line sooner. But, yes there's a) a chance we'd loose one or both wonders and b) a chance of getting a GP not a GM and c) it does tie you to working sea tiles.

I'm managed a machinery slingshot before on Monarch in a GotM, but it may have been warlords not BTS.

Anyhoo. I'm happy on going for the GLighthouse to fund early cities.

Looking at the map, I'm thinking we're the Irish vikings. Thas Island looks like the Isle of Man, and we can just see the tip of Wales and Scotland so we should be able to spread around Ireland, UK, northern France, Spain, Benilux and Germany, and back over to our rightful home land of Norway & Denmark.

So that would be a lot of coastal cities so the GLight would be great.

The capitol looks like it will be good for an early Settler farm, maybe an early GP farm too. If we are Ireland then we are off on the western side of the map & probably need to get into England/Wales soon for some metal resources. I'm not sure if Ireland has copper & iron :)

Techs : bline bronzeworking, then Agriculture & Sailing.
Builds: work boat, exploring ?work boat?, worker. ?settler? lighthouse.
We could go for earlier Agriculture and get a worker out earlier.

Those trees are our only source of early hammers, so be careful what we chop.

Edit: How many turns are we going on ? 20/15/15/10 ?

Hi ,:hatsoff:

I agree with your tech path, including the wheel for hapiness... The silver mine is one hammer so even with the whip I am not sure Nidaros will be able to build the GL... perhaps we should build that in a second city and whip workers and settlers in Nidaros... what do you think guys :dunno:?

Cheers,

Raskolnikov

Edit: @Simon: I think we are not in Ireland but in Sweden... about tech path: It could be nice to go to agri first so the first worker (if we go workboat ->worker) has something to do while teching BW...

Me again,

About the worboat: growing on a forested grassland, and working another one size two give the workboat in 21 turns, whereas working the wheat first and then switching on the grass give 23 turns but more food... What do you think is best (supposing my maths are good:lol:)?

Cheers,

Raskolnikov

I tend to agree - either we need to get a settler out before trying for the GLight, or build it in a different city with more production potential.

In that same line, do we want to aim for a GP farm in Nidaros, or spam cottages? I lean towards the cottages myself, since there's only 2 food sources and we do have the silver already.

I think Workboat x2, Settler, Worker, <insert useful things here> for builds, and Mining, BW, Agri, Wheel, Sailing, Pottery, Masonry for techs.
^ Why masonry last there? Because if we aren't building the GLight in our cap (which I think would be foolish to try), we have to get both workboats out, and a settler done and settled, AND a lighthouse built before we can start the wonder in city 2. That should take long enough that we can stick pottery in there to let our worker churn out some cottages around Nidaros.

On turns - I like Pholkhero's way of doing things: play until you hit a stopping point (just don't go overboard!). Early on, probably up to 40 turns if it's quiet, later we should have enough decisions to make that it will be 10-15 or so, maybe even less. Whoever goes first should get busy with our scout and get as much land visible as possible so we can find a place to stick our high production coastal city :) That means dotmap before you build it!

I think Workboat x2, Settler, Worker, <insert useful things here> for builds, and Mining, BW, Agri, Wheel, Sailing, Pottery, Masonry for techs.
Why do you want to go for the settler first? I think after the second WB AND a worker BW should be in (if we'll go Mining --> BW) so we could use the choped hammers on the settler an depending on whether Argi is in after the chop we couls speed the settler futhermore with the farmed wheat. This wouls save quite some turns..
And building the GLH in a more productive city is truly a good idea.

Chopping settlers makes me feel icky, since we're not likely in a rush to grab land...the race is really for the wonder, and I think we'll be fine on that with building the settler normal - also I can't see the worker having a ton to do and I don't like idle units.

However, I'm not stuck on the idea so I'll leave it up to the group and whoever plays first :)

Do we want to chop everything in the cap or only the forest on the silver? We could chop them after math to have more hammers too (so no chop in the first settler, worker except the silver). Basically I think hammers in Nidaros should mainly come from the whip,not from chops early on...
About idle worker, we could go agri before BW so the growth rate would be better (build workboat -> worker ->warriors or another workboat to grow and then settler).
We also need at least two warriors for basic happiness...
good discussion! :cool:

Cheers,

Raskolnikov

There's a thread in strategy and tips (never learned to do links) entitled "considerations for playing huge maps". Worth checking out (posters there say if you don't beeline GLH in your first city you won't get it).

Yeah I saw it... problem is we don't have even one hill in the cap (silver is like a forested grass production wise) and I 'am afraid whip overflow just won't suffice to make the wonder... but I guess some exploration in the first turns will help us decide what is best. If we can't find a site with decent prod and food close enough of the cap, I guess Nidaros will have to do it.

Cheers,

Raskolnikov

By the looks of it I'd say we are in Sweden as well. Feels appropriate. :D

Since we're in Scandinavia with a fair lot of coastal cities (we might even consider settling Germany, Poland or Denmark just for that) the GLH looks like a strong strategy. A heavily forested city might give us enough wood to chop it out.

I think our strategy should not be different if we turn out to be Irish after all: on Ireland and the British Isles in general, GLH is a must.

Got it, played 28 turns, report inc. Wanted to get things moving, and as we had a consensus on the first steps, I went ahead and did them!

"We settle here, by the sea!" declared their leader. The nomadic tribe had always had a certain affinity for the cold waters, so all were agreeable to this. They would have fish from the water for food, and the lands surrounding promised even more bounty.

Nidaros, capitol of the Viking tribe, was built.

"From here, we shall pillage and conquer the weaklings of the world, for we are the mighty sons of Odin and Thor, and none shall stand in our path!"

So begins the saga of the Viking Conquest.

==================================

- Worked wheat, grew in 11 turns (popped borders in 8); started workboat
- Mining done on T13, started BW
- grow again T22, working wheat, silver, and a forest to get the workboat out sooner
- started a settler on T27 but only put 1 turn into it, because...
- Buddhism FIDL IBT; got the Fish up and running

Screens:
Spoiler :
The world:

Nidaros status:

North & South land views:

From here, we didn't have a big consensus on what to build, so I'll throw this back into discussion on that, as well as where to stick our second city (which I think we should use to go after the GLight, with all the coastal hills north and south of us).

Who wants it next? (play once we have some idea of what to do)

Hi All,

*If* I've done my maths right,
If we grow to size4 first, we can do a 2pop whip on turn 41 to have a settler out on turn 42.
It's the same time as if we do a 1 pop whip, but we have 5*3:gold: and 5*1:hammers: extra in the bank.

But, I think we're better going for grow to 4, (working lake, not silver)
When pop4, switch to worker, as soon as BW (go agriculture) is in, switch and whip worker, send worker to chop silver, switch to settler, chop the sliver wood then whip settler. That way we don't get the settler until turn 45, but we have a worker, and nearly have a mined silver.

worker would then farm the corn and then follow the settler to the new city to start chopping out a lighthouse and Glighthouse. while we build a 2nd workboat then a couple of warriors.

As for location,
Spoiler :

I'd say south. Red spot is probably the best on to get the GLighthouse from. even it blue is better for a GPfarm.

Thoughts ?

Actually why not 1E of red? Doesn't waste the forest, and it's not like we need the hill in the small cross - and has the same resources available (1 crab). We can nab the other stuff with a future city.

So switch to <workboat? something?> until BW in 6 turns (if we work the lake tile), city will grow 1 turn before that. Whip a worker, build something else to re-grow the city while we start mining the silver. Switch to a settler for the chop, then whip it asap -> worker goes on to farm the wheat. Settler heads south to settle our next city, worker follows.

I'm not sure the math on the whip-worker, chop-whip-settler thing will work out to turn 45, but I like the plan in general.

After Agri, we should tech Sailing->Masonry to get on the wonder ASAP.

Actually why not 1E of red?

:goodjob: I'd also settle this title.

After Agri, we should tech Sailing->Masonry to get on the wonder ASAP.

I agree to thisas well. But for the building: I'd rather put some hammers into a warrior to have at least some military in our cap for the happyness above size 4. And after the settler we should start a gallay for exploring the mighty sea.

Gonna hafta disagree with y'all.

Early settler is not important. Its a huge map with no close neighbours. We don't even have barbs to worry about. We have plenty of time to produce settlers. Getting crowded is not a limiting factor in our expansion. We'll run out of money long before we run out of potential sites.

Need a warrior in the capital so it's happy at pop 5.

We can explore as easily with a workboat as a galley.

Haven't done the maths completely yet but it occurs to me that with a lighthouse the lake tiles are 3f/3c, the fish will be 6f/3c.

I'm wondering about going BW (6t), Sailing (12t), Masonry (11t) Agric Wheel. Build a warrior while growing to pop 4, switch to worker, once sailing is in swop build to TP, whip TP putting overflow into worker, finish worker then build WB while masonry is finishing then swop straight to Glight. Worker mines the silver then chops for Glight.
Once Glight is in the capital can grow to pop 6 (with connected silver) work 2 lake tiles, fish, silver, wheat and forest or cottage and spit out a long stream of workers and settlers.

Top Bottom