Try-03: The Viking Conquest

We're not *that* late.
Even if we grabbed red dot before trying the wonder, we would have met the same I think. We'd just be in a better position to try to grab something on the main land.
As it is, we're vikings, so we'll just plunder and take what we want :)

Although, I suspect there's a chance we'll be Viking Longbowmen. not Viking Berserkers :)

I should probably have sent the galley in a separate direction to the scout. Sorry.:blush:

Had a quick look at the save. If its still available then it might be worth grabbing a city in Denmark next so we can get out. Maybe the scout could check out Denmark. There's also the whole Baltic coast left to explore. We could be Letts or Estonians or even Finns. Once Stockholm has regrown we should get settlers (and workers) out fast enough. Having iron around would make a significant difference.

We were always going to be late starting the rex, but with coastal cities we should be able to continue rexing longer than usual.

Hi,

I agree settling in Denmark could be nice but it's also look very prod poor... but we should definately settle on the mainland to have nice trade routes and allow us more space.
But do we settle iron or european mainland first? What do you think guys?

I can play tonight if it's OK with Paulus and Thy_spellcraft...

Cheers,

raskolnikov

If we have iron, we need to settle that for sure. I think we should settle that GP farm location next, and when iron is up we can see how my other planned sites look (if we have any). Honestly I can't see the map NOT having iron or copper of some kind in the general area.

Don't worry about getting to the mainland in a hurry, settle out our area (and perhaps the coast E/SE of us toward the mainland) ...basically trying to say we don't have to rush to settle/conquer France/Germany area ;)

Ras, you can go next, we're establishing the order as we go and we'll follow the same one the second round. You might have a short set, due to the need to re-evaluate city placement choices if we find Iron in the area and it doesn't go well with the current dotmap

I agree red dot is next. If we want something to build while we grow, a WB in Niadros so that red dot has food as soon as it's planted.

I'd send the scout for a quick dive into Norway too. Otherwise, it will be up the baltic for iron.

I don't see it as a problem if we don't get a foodhold on the mainland. Beserkers are great for that anyway. What will be a problem is no metal and limited production in the homeland.

OK I will play tonight...
I think I will settle red dot if placement of iron don't mess up the plans...
I will look at the thread before playing so I don't miss anything...keep posting good stuffs!!! expect a report in 8 hours...

Raskolnikov

OK I played 25 turns, until completion of the settler… :)

T87: I look Nidaros and there are 2 unhappy faces due to whipping (but the slaves sure were proud to built us the GL…:lol:) so I decide to not whip Nidaros during the turn set. I want to grow to size 5 while building the workboat (exploration + nets at second city) and then build us a settler.
The galley and our scout continue exploration. The worker connects the silver mine.

T91: Danemark explored

Spoiler :

There are gems and fish here, we could build a city just where the scout is standing…

T93: worker builds the wheat farm

T97: Nidaros is size 4. IW is in and I select Archery so we can build real military units waiting for the iron… which is placed north of Nidaros near the furs…

Spoiler :

The same turn, our explorers manage to land in Norway… but are rather disappointed by their findings…:rolleyes:

Spoiler :

T98: Stonehenge bifl…

T101: worker connects the wheat

T103: Archery is in… I select Mysticism so the next city can start on a monument on turn 1 (the workboat will be in place so we can whip the monument quickly)

The workboat is finished and I put one turn of prod in an archer (1 of the 2 slave unhappy fades away this turn) so we can grow to size 5.

T104: Nidaros is size 5 I start a settler due in 11. The worker starts chopping a forest (a prechoped one).

Spoiler :

We also met Isabella, founder of Buddhism.

Spoiler :

T106: another chop (oh yeah!) :goodjob:

T108: Archery is in and I select Pottery

T112: We met Joao this turn, he just settled Coimbra (someone know the number of Coimbra in the Portuguese city list?) near our galley.

Spoiler :

The settler is done and I stop. There are 4 hammers in an archer in Nidaros and 21 hammers of overflow. Growth in 3 and unhappy from slavery disappears in 3 too.

Spoiler :

Cultural map:

Resource map:

We should discuss if we want iron first or the GP farm. I think a city in the Denmark near the gems could make a nice 4th city (open door for our berserkers in Europe :cool:).

Nidaros should go archer -> worker ->settler to continue expansion…
Techs: I suggest we finish pottery and then writing for libs and open borders…

Cheers,

Raskolnikov

Attachments

• Try-03 BC-1200.CivBeyondSwordSave
    172 KB · Views: 71
Good turns, And we have Iron :woohoo:

I would have skipped Archery right now. We've no barbs, so wariors should be fine for happyness until we've got metals online. We won't get attacked over the sea this early no matter how weak we are. But, it's probably not a big deal.

Saying that though, if we go for the denmark site as city4, then we will need archers :)

Thinking where we need to go on the tech tree I think we need to get machinary before CS so we can get some windmill sites up in those hills.

I think we should try to stay out of everyone elses way until we have berserkers (unless there's an opportunity too good to miss). We don't have the :hammers: for anything else right now really. But that danish site does look tempting......

As map designs go Scandinavia is crap. You can have all food and no production or all production and no food. Probably the most unbalanced map I've seen.

Just settle the iron (they're all as bad as each other), chop and whip a bunch of axes and kill someone/anyone/everyone.

Yeah I like that... settle iron and kill everyone... our land is so annoying...

For the iron I suggest we build a city 3 north of the silver mine, between two iron mines. It grabs all three iron sources and the furs. The 4 resources can be worked size 4 and it can be irrigated for further mines after civil service... that city might not be too bad after all (HE?)...

Cheers,

Raskolnikov

Just a request: please use SPOILER tags for images, so we don't have to scroll so much to catch the text parts of the report :)

Looking ok, I think. Not great, just ok. The only comment I have is why chop so much? I guess if we're aiming to mainly use the whip it's fine, but keeping SOME of the forests would maybe be a good idea.

Dotmap:
Spoiler :

Nidaros: Commerce city / whipping boy for troops
City 1: GP farm / whipping boy
City 2: Production = builds troops
City 3: Commerce (gems) and food for whipping, also good place for spamming cottages. Mainly a staging ground to destroy Justin and Vicky.

And on that last note, I think Justinian should be target #1, and our next turnset should be done with the following goals:
1) Settle city sites 1 and 2 at least
2) Hook up resources in both (probably need another worker or two for this)
3) Produce at least 1-2 more galleys for troop transport
4) Begin staging in city 1 (or 3 if we can settle it) for invasion

Roster so far:
-------------
Trynthlas
pigswill
Simon_c
Raskolnikov

Next up is either PaulusIII or Thy_Spellcraft

I'll take the next turnset. Got it!

Heading for Germany/Justinian would give us a better deal on land for sure.

If Yellow is going to be city #3, then I think we'll find someone else there by the time we get there.
But if we go there before we have Axes & Swords, we'll probably find someone else taking it of our hands. :confused:

Keep the other two forests around Nidaros and work the tiles to the south. keep the grasslands to the north clear. Hopefully we can get a forest to regrow.

Hi everyone :),

@Trynthlas: I choped the forests mainly because we are in a hurry to get another city... I didn't want to whip because 2 unhappy faces at the beginning of the round due to slavery... I think growing before going settler was important to allow working good tiles... so that lets forest chop for improving the production... and anyway, all the land in Nidaros should be cottage, even with health problem, we should grow it under HR sooner rather than later... so I think those two forest chops are all in all not a big deal :)... but sorry If that was not the consensus

I like your dot map, especially your placement in Denmark which grab an additionnal seefood...

I also agree justinian should go first... but I dislike Joao... he is always requesting something, putting annoying city... we should watch him...:scan:

Cheers,

Raskolnikov

edit: sorry about the pictures... I will put them into spoilers

edit2: if we want 2 cities in the next turnset, we could whip the next settler for 3 pops as there will be no more slave unhappy in 3 turns.

I look back at the save,

@Trynthlas: I think your site in Denmark is invalide because of justinian's city... one north instead (gains fresh water, looses the crabs)?

Cheers,

Raskolnikov

Denmark/Kopenhaven could go 1NE, keep freshwater and crabs though wouldn't act as the Kiel canal.

Of course if we kill Justinian we can put the city where we like!

1 NE is nice indeed, we could switch the seefoods between red dot and the new yellow dot function of happiness in the two cities...

I look back at the save,

@Trynthlas: I think your site in Denmark is invalide because of justinian's city... one north instead (gains fresh water, looses the crabs)?

Cheers,

Raskolnikov

Denmark/Kopenhaven could go 1NE, keep freshwater and crabs though wouldn't act as the Kiel canal.

Of course if we kill Justinian we can put the city where we like!

If we can't build it on the site where the dotmap shows, then we just burn stuff until we can :goodjob:

If we can't build it on the site where the dotmap shows, then we just burn stuff until we can:goodjob:

Denmark on fire!!! :devil: Ragnar will be pleased :viking:

If we can't build it on the site where the dotmap shows, then we just burn stuff until we can :goodjob:

:goodjob: I too would prefere raising Justinian's city and settle yellow rather than settling 1NE of yellow.

So we should settle site 2 fist for starting to build an invasion force.. And maybe we should even think about settling even the former green dot before the red one to get some galleys out into the sea..

Top Bottom