Try Civ VIs new Worker System in Civ V

Ryika

Lazy Wannabe Artista
(Not 100% sure if this thread "belongs" here, after all it's pretty much just advertising a Civ V Mod, but I figured that the mod is probably most interesting for the people who actually plan to get Civ VI, and people who plan to get Civ VI probably own Civ V, and I'm interested in a discussion about the implications for Civ VI so... yeah, I'll just create it here.)

I'm really looking forward to the new worker system with instantly built Improvements and Worker Charges, so I decided to create a small mod for Civ V that "emulates" that system to see how it plays out. Obviously that doesn't quite work, because it's a different game and districts will already cover a few tiles, probably leaving less work to do for workers but hey - it's about the general idea of how the system feels.

So after finally getting everything to work I played around with the mod for a few hours and I have to say: I really enjoy it! Not only does it feel really intuitive ("Hey, I am running out of Improvements, better build a worker!"), no, it also opens up a lot of choices that may not be obvious at first. "Do I keep the last charge of this worker to connect the Luxury that I'll unlock soon?", "Do I build a worker now although I only have a single tile that needs to be improved?", "Where do I even build that worker?! All my Cities have stuff to do!" etc. etc.

I really love that system, even in the Civ 5 environment that it's not made for.

So if you want to try yourself, I've added the mod as an attachment at the end of the post. Simply download and extract to the Mod-Folder (Documents\my games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS) as usual.

What exactly does this mod do?
- All Worker-Improvements, with the exception of Roads and Railroads are now built instantly
- Repair, Roads and Railroads remain unchanged (for practical purposes)
- Workers have 4 Charges, after using them all they are disbanded
- Worker cost is reduced to 50 Production (from 70)
- Worker Charges are tracked via unique Promotions, check the silver arrow to find out how many charges remain.
- You get a Notification when a Worker is being removed

Limitations:
- For some reason that I can't pin down the game crashes when I try to delete Workers immediately after they have finished constructing the improvement, so Workers are deleted at the beginning of the Turn after they have used their last charge
- The AI isn't really using the system efficiently (but it doesn't use the original system very well either :p)
- (This is an experimental Mod, no Release, it's not very polished)

Feel free to give it a try. And tell me how you like the system. ;)

Attachments

• Civ6ish Worker Mod (v 1).7z
    2.7 KB · Views: 150
Very nice.

As you said because of distracts they do need to build alot more in civ 5. But I wonder what if you make it so the worker can make GP improvements to act like distracts and code the distance so you cant have one of the same type next to each other like a tile away.

This way you can get that district feel

Well, I can think of ways to restrict an Improvement by the number of Cities that exist (simply by putting them on dummy-techs and removing those techs if the number of one Improvement is >= the number of cities for example), but I can't think of any way to make it so that every city can only ever have one of each improvement, or to disallow other Cities from working those Improvements.

It may be possible with dll-modding, but I don't think there's a "good" way to do so with lua.

Should be a fun experiment. :)

Building tile improvements were slowed down due to 1UPT in Civilization 5. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Okay it is in the base game improvement file, that tag line is already in the table.

So I assume to add this line, a sql will be needed since the Column is already made
<NoTwoAdjacent>True</NoTwoAdjacent>

Yeah, that line can be used to prevent 2 of the same type of Improvement being built next to each other, but it doesn't prevent you from building another improvement on the other side of the city. ^^

Right, but at least it would something, and would be interesting to see how the Ai reacts

Edit: could also limit by Terran and features

Edit 2: Also could make building dependent on the improvenmt, ie to have library you have to have the science improvement.

I am sorry adding ideas, just wann play civ 6, and your idea/mod got me in a quest to add civ 6 stuff to civ 5

I have been toying with the idea of making a district mod. It would work like this:

- Remove the ability of building special improvements from Great People

- Use the Manufactory, Academy, Holy Site, etc. as districts

- Districts will be built by workers

- Buildings such as the Library and Workshop would enhance districts (more production, science, etc) or vice versa

- Make it so that districts can't be built next to each other to spread them out

Ryika, you are welcome to create this if you'd like. Not sure if I have the energy right now to put this together.

Well, like I said: I don't think I could reasonably represent the district system.

Aside from the problem of having multiple district, one of their core "features" are the adjacency bonuses. I don't think it's possible to emulate those without it being really, really clunky.

So after finally getting everything to work I played around with the mod for a few hours and I have to say: I really enjoy it! Not only does it feel really intuitive ("Hey, I am running out of Improvements, better build a worker!"), no, it also opens up a lot of choices that may not be obvious at first. "Do I keep the last charge of this worker to connect the Luxury that I'll unlock soon?", "Do I build a worker now although I only have a single tile that needs to be improved?", "Where do I even build that worker?! All my Cities have stuff to do!" etc. etc.

I haven't played with this mod yet, but I imagine another interesting choice would be "Do I spend this Worker's last charge to build an improvement or start building roads?" Or even, " . . . build a road to another city, then spend its last charge to improve a luxury there."

Yeah, that too. But it's mostly a limitation in the mod, in Civ VI that shouldn't come up as far as I understand it, because early on trade units create routes and then there's a separate worker for that.

can you add slingers? upgrade them to archers?

The problem with that Mod is that in Civ 5 you need workers to build roads where in Civ 6 you don't.

In order for this Mod to emulate the Civ 6 gameplay properly roads should NOT be counted towards number of improvements.

Unless there's a bug that I didn't notice until now building Roads (and Railroads, or repairing stuff as well as removing Features) don't count towards the Limit.

Apologies - I haven't used Mods before. I downloaded where you said to - then I loaded the game and went to MODS, but it didn't have it. I went to "get mods" and it took me to steam. How do I get it? Thanks, M

Make sure to unpack the zip-archive first and then put the whole folder named 'Civ6ish Worker Mod (v 1)' into the MODS-Folder.

Must look something like this:

Attachments

• mod.jpg
    mod.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 768
I got the districts to work, it seems to be working okay and AI repsonsed well.

I need to clean up some stuff, like text issues but i can put it on steam for DL

Top Bottom