Trying not to win

Abaxial

Emperor
I'm coming to the end of a game and trying not to win it. I have converted all civs except one to my religion, the last holdout being (ironically) Kongo, and I could easily send over a few apostles and get a RV any time I wanted. But there is a rather interesting situation on another continent, where Macedon is facing a war on two fronts, and I'm quite interested in seeing how it develops. (I can follow it thanks to well-placed spies). Unfortunately, I don't think I can stop the game ending soon, as I have stacks of tourism.

I like spectating AI wars. It's a shame that the mod that does autoplay is not very good. It lacks features and is prone to crashing.

Don’t want to sound harsh or come across rude but most of your topics seem to be statements rather than debatable.

Maybe try adding a general question of some sort? Or a interesting screenshot/proof of the game? In that way it’s more easy (read: inviting) for others to comment.

Otherwise it may look like you’re using the forums as some kind of twitter timeline

Aside from the above: observing the Civ AI is a whole genre on YouTube it seems. Quite fun to see different AI’s duking it out on a TSL earth map for example...

Well, the implied question is, "do you ever feel the same way?". I nearly wrote it in, but it seemed not to be necessary.

Well, the implied question is, "do you ever feel the same way?". I nearly wrote it in, but it seemed not to be necessary.
The question I got from reading this was, "How can I prolong this game in order to watch the AI vs. AI battle longer." So yes, if you were looking for "do you ever feel the same way?" you probably should have asked that.

And my answer to that question is "No. I don't ever feel that way." Which, I guess, is in part why I never interpreted that unasked question to even exist.

We are an international community with varied backgrounds and native languages. I find that leaving things unsaid to be implied is an inefficient and error prone way to communicate on this forum. I'm not trying to sound like a jerk - but I really didn't get what you were trying to ask.

The question I got from reading this was, "How can I prolong this game in order to watch the AI vs. AI battle longer."

Well, that's a discussion point as well, just as valid. Victoria's advice is a little extreme!

As it happened, the last civ to hold out against my tourism turned out to have better counter-tourism than I thought, especially as I was holding off cards that increase your tourism effects. I even thought I might sneak in a science victory, but eventually Kongo just yielded to religious pressure for a religious win.

As for the war, we all know that the AI is lousy at attacking walls, but in this case it was interesting to see two civs, each hurling waves of attackers at the fortifications of the other, across the same piece of ground. It was like watching WW1 with crossbows and lances.

Actually, how many people here have experimented with the autoplay mod in the Steam workshop? I'm hoping that if Firaxis ever get round to releasing the source code, it will be possible for someone to make a better one.

Actually, how many people here have experimented with the autoplay mod in the Steam workshop? I'm hoping that if Firaxis ever get round to releasing the source code, it will be possible for someone to make a better one.

I played around with it when it first came out, but I haven't for a few years now.
I also enjoyed watching a few AI-only YouTube videos Drew Durnil did way back when. It looks like a few other people have put some together since then, but I haven't checked them out. I might do that...

To avoid CV is rather easy.

Give some cities with proper inspirations (such as a themed musuem or a spaceport) to the Civ with the highest culture. These inspirations help him with local tourism so you won't win very soon.

Couldn't you start your games with only score victory checked? or is it even possible to have no victory condition in the game set up?

For those people saying "Deity is not longer a challenge" maybe "lose a score victory" would be a challenge. :)

Top Bottom