1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Trying to get into this game

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Darth Tribble, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Darth Tribble

Darth Tribble Friendly Neighborhood Conqueror

I've been playing Civ for years now up until very recently. I am finding it more difficult to get into the Civ games, and Civ 6 in particular. Now, I do like how this version handles city-states and the districts are a thing I did not even know I wanted, but there is just something about this game that makes it hard for me to stick with it, even with the DLC.

In the main series, I started with Civ IV and I initially felt the same way about Civ V as I do Civ VI. As more DLC was released, I found Civ 5 to be way more enjoyable, and probably my second favorite game in the series.

I don't know if it is just me growing tired of the series and just moving on to other things or if this version just doesn't appeal to me?

The last game I completed for this version was as the Aztecs, and that was early last year.

I want to like this game, though.

2. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Emperor

I think that thing that makes it hard to stick with is that everything takes a zillion turns for cities to make. Districfts? Buildings? Units? Compared to civ 5 everything takes 4 or 5 times as long. That's the main reason why I still go back to Civ 5 sometimes.

3. Le Singe

Le Singe Chieftain

Just started Playing CIV VI (long time civ iv player dabbled in Civ 5) and I have to say I agree 100% it takes forever to build anything especially compared to how quickly you tech. Most of the time units I try to build are obsolete before they are done building also the way you have to mover units etc. I feel like I am as much trying to solve a rubicx cube as i am ruling a mighty civilization.

4. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

Well this new patch is literally addressing production times by increasing sources of production so...

Stilgar08 likes this.
  5. Jaybe

Jaybe civus fanaticus Supporter

As I see it, you aren’t supposed to build everything everywhere. Be more selective.

OTH, another preference I have is for mods that slow down the tech/civics pace. Which is going to be a bleep once the patch is released.

6. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

In Civ 6, mighty civilizations are built on gold, not hammers, and districts/buildings, not people..

A couple of big differences compared to past versions of civ are:

(a) don't invest in increasing your production output, it's rarely worth it; invest in getting more science + culture + gold directly, (+ optionally faith, which is a second sort of gold, sort of a silver)

(b) don't invest in growing your population, i.e. don't devote workers to food production or build things that improve food output or housing; your most valuable person in your city is your first one, who costs you nothing to keep happy; pop up to size 4 are usually good, because that gives you a second district; from there up to pop 10 is often okay, though also relatively unnecessary; pop above size 10 are usually a net drain on your economy

Once you're winning easily, you can ignore the above, but if you're finding it hard to get your economy humming along, keep the above in mind.

Stilgar08 likes this.
  7. Bradypus

Bradypus Chieftain

I for one consider hammers to be strong. Particularly in MP games. A gold income large enough to outright buy an army is usually reliant on gold generating trade routes. But in MP you cannot rely on trade routes to be the backbone of your economy because they can be taken out easily. Personally I always aim to have at least 2 high population (high production) cities capable of churning out any unit(s) I want. I tend to aim for having enough gold production to maintain my army, including upgrading it. A deficit during war is acceptable because pillaging can make up for it.

This doesn't mean I build an IZ in every city. It just means that I will build up my population to fill out high production yield tiles - at least for my first few cities. Later filler cities may remain small though and just serve the purpose of providing science/culture/gold. But for my playstyle having a few production powerhouses is a must.