1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[Civ2] Trying to make my copy work again, on windows 7.

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Technical Support' started by Elanachan, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Elanachan

Elanachan Chieftain

Hey there. After trying to figure out if civ 2 would ever be released on steam, GOG, or some other platform, I discovered that the game is apparently now considered abandonware, which subsequently gave me access to a free copy of MGE. An unexpected way to get around the troubleshooting issues I've had with trying to get my retail disk to work. The game works flawlessly from the archive I found, no having to troubleshoot the 16-bit problem, or the inability to play the game because the indeo drivers wouldn't install (even the installer on my retail disk is a 16-bit program). But as with most versions floating around out there, I have come across minor issues keeping me from getting the full experience once more.

The first issue I had was getting the videos to work. For the most part, this one was fairly simple. The archive didn't include any of the videos whatsoever, however I was easily able to pull them off of my retail disk. This was followed by the dreaded "black video" problem I've seen people post about, luckily, someone on here had posted an updated version of the indeo driver, which seems to have done the trick, for the most part. The intro video plays, and the advisors play, but for some reason, the videos for the world wonders do not.

I was also looking up to see what the situation was for a no-cd patch, not because it needed one to be playable (I would get the usual message about music not being accessible without the disk in the drive), but to try to save wear and tear on my original disk so it doesn't get any more scratched up than it already is, and still be able to listen to the music while playing. I tried making an image file of the disk and mounting it on a virtual drive, but the game cannot see it for some reason. Is it possible that the game is still trying to read from my E: drive (the physical disk drive), and I need to somehow point it to the image file?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  2. Elanachan

Elanachan Chieftain

And now I feel dumb for not checking the in-game options, the wonder videos weren't showing because they were apparently disabled by default!

As a result, the only reason I have left to be keeping this thread up for troubleshooting is trying to get the soundtrack to work off of the image file instead of the physical disk.