Trying to start a pitboss game

draknor

Chieftain
Not sure if this belongs in MP or Troubleshooting? Mods feel free to move as appropriate

A group of friends & I are trying to start a pitboss game. I've got a separate PC setup, with a separate Steam account with it's own copy of Civ V complete (thanks 75% off sale on Steam!). I started the game, everyone was able to login to the lobby & select their civs and ready-up.

The game starts, and we are in turn 0 - and now at least 2 people get "error joining multiplayer session" (but at least 4 of us can get in just fine).

Nothing too useful on the interwebs about this very generic error. Have tried:
- Checking MTU settings (1500 all around)
- Verified game cache files (no problems)

I'm assuming no one has a magic bullet, so my question is -- are there still Civ devs on these boards that could help? What logs would be useful to send from the host vs client(s)? I'd really love to do what I can to help improve MP, but I've never really dug into Civ's guts before and not sure where to start.

(FWIW - my friends & I are all comp geeks / software devs, so we're not scared of getting our hands dirty!)

Just to close the loop on this - turns out the two players having trouble didn't have the same DLC as the rest of us. I thought we had all agreed on the DLC everyone should have in advance, but apparently not...

After we synchronized everyone's DLC and I made a new game, everyone was able to join - huzzah!

As for feedback for Civ devs -- sure would have been nice to have a more descriptive error-message, if not in-game then at least in the logs.

Now that the game has started - wish us luck :)

Top Bottom