1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Trying to upgrade a late 2009 iMac.

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Macintosh' started by vintageKY, Dec 5, 2016.

1. vintageKY

vintageKY Chieftain

IMG_8005.JPG Hi All!

I currently use my Mac Book Pro 15" to play
    Civ VI. However, I'm tired of the small landscape. I have a iMac 27" that I have just recently cleaned out a crazy amount of old files and junk. I'm ready to put a new video card into the iMac.

Can I put any video card into the iMac?
    Any suggestions?

I obviously can't do the work myself. I'll have to haul the elephant into either Apple or Best Buy for the labor.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  2. jpinoniemi

jpinoniemi Warlord Supporter

Depends on what model you have specifically. Some of them you can't upgrade.

3. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

@vintageKY you could do a proper screenshot on Mac:
    1. Press Command-Shift-4. ...
    2. Move the crosshair pointer to where you want to start the screenshot.
    3. Drag to select an area. ...
    4. When you've selected the area you want, release your mouse or trackpad button. ...
    5. Find the screenshot as a .png file on your desktop.
    6. Upload the file as an attachment

vintageKY likes this.
  4. jpinoniemi

5. jpinoniemi

And your iMac supports up to 32GB of memory. You only have 4, I would increase it to at least 12GB - 16GB, and ditch the beta version of OS X 10.12 and get the real one through the App Store.

vintageKY likes this.
  6. vintageKY

vintageKY Chieftain

Thanks everyone! I went to Best Buy today and the guy who also plays Civ VI said pretty much go buy another computer. It's pretty much impossible to find a video card to put in the older MacBooks. Then an Apple tech would need to install it. Not worth the time, effort or money when all is said and done.

I did a MAJOR overhaul of cleaning out of old junk files in my MacBook. Two days worth of work. Uninstalled Civ VI because it kept crashing on me and was seriously choppy. I reinstalled it last night after all was said and done. The game loads waaaay faster and isn't choppy at all. I'm keeping the graphics at what the game comes set at as it is installed. The only thing left is a new battery that is on its way via mail....hopefully, I should be somewhat set with what I have for the time being...it works.

I'll screen shot the correct way from now on. That would have been an impossible feat three days ago though...lol That's how crazy slow my Mac was getting.

7. vintageKY

vintageKY Chieftain

Will try now that I've overhauled my MacBook...

8. jpinoniemi

Yeah, it sucks that they set the bar so high this time on system requirements. I'm fortunate that I get a new laptop every two years at work, at least until I leave this job.

vintageKY likes this.
  9. DrPlokta

DrPlokta Chieftain

Your iMac supports Target Display Mode. You can plug your MacBook Pro into it and use it as a display for the MacBook, taking advantage of the larger screen.