TSG 149 AFTER ACTION REPORT

Knowtalent

Emperor
GOTM Staff
Welcome to the TSG149 After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!
STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.
Please use the Civ5 game submission page to submit your final, first play through, .Civ5Save file, saved AFTER the victory ceremony if you were not conquered (using the "Lemme play one more turn" feature.).
- Did you use your UU?
- How useful was your UA?
- Did you use spying to your advantage?
- Did the map type help or hinder victory and how?
- How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions?
- Was Faith helpful to achieve victory?
- What Social Policies did you choose and in what order? Which Ideology did you choose?
- What techs did you prioritize ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Puttered through the game this afternoon since it was raining and freezing on outside. Not a very good score, ending in 1918 I believe. When you don't micro manage, you get what you deserve.

Spying doesn't help much on this low difficulty level. AI has nothing to steal. Likewise, AI has little gold to trade or for research agreements. You can gift them gold to help with RAs, but that gets expensive.

I did not prioritize faith, but did found a religion and bought a couple of scientists at games end.

As for the map, it would have been better to move the capital to the coast, IMO. The terrain was not too bad, but no mountains were convenient to hand for a tech boost. Only built 4 cities and no wars. Perhaps I could have built a couple more cities, as happiness was easy to control on this level with a big tech lead to grab helpful happiness wonders.

Tradition -- patronage until the science line -- freedom.

Beelined for labs by way of industrialization.

I think my average science time is faster on higher levels. Wonder if others feel the same way?

Game status: Science Victory
Game date: 1949AD
Turns played: 369
Base score: 2148
Final score: 2942
Time played: 6:22:00

I probably should have founded at least one more city; I only settled 3 and there were at least 2 more good spots. I also annexed a really nice city from Greece (coal, oil, uranium, and lots of jungle tiles), and I had a couple of puppets. The biggest surprise in this game was how impotent Greece was -- maybe because Alex never left the continent so he didn't meet any of the CS's.
- Did you use your UU?
- What Social Policies did you choose and in what order? Which Ideology did you choose?

Chateaux were extremely useful. The "city of light" thing, not so much. I did build a few musketeers, but didn't do much with them until they were upgraded to infantry.

I mainly use the spies to ally and hold CS's. (there were so many CS's in this game!) I put my new recruit spies in Paris to catch AI spies to level them up. I didn't build constabularies, because I didn't care all that much if the AI's stole a few techs. By the time I got another spy from moving up an era, the one in Paris would be at level 3 and I'd move him/her to a cultural or mercantile CS.

No real opinion about the map type. The difficulty level slowed me down. I was so far ahead of the AI's research agreements weren't worth much, and I couldn't get any beakers from trade routes. I signed a few research agreements, but not many.

I did found a religion (Earth Mother, Tithe, Feed The World, Peace Gardens, Religious Texts) and I bought 2 great scientists with faith. I probably should have bought 1 more, and another engineer or merchant.

Social policies were Tradition, Honor opener, Commerce, Rationalism, Patronage (left side), and Freedom(9). Techs that I prioritized were Currency (I built ToA, Hanging Gardens, and Petra), Education, Fertilizer (fastest path to Industrial era to stop great Prophets from spawning), Radio, Replaceable Parts (Statue of Liberty), and Plastics.

Won t321.

Built 3 cities, then NC, then 3 more cities. Then I conquered Addis Abbaba and Edinburgh with frigates.
Policies: Tradition, Patronage, Rationalism, Freedom(6), Commerce(4)

our name: Vacuuman
Game date: 1919AD
Turns played: 339
Base score: 1825
Final score: 2723
Time played: 3:51:00

Won T362

Tradition , 4 cities, NC. Conquered the Celts' and the Greek's capitals. built two other cities later in game, including one to secure aluminium. I went to "explore" Songa's lands, and after a brief skirmish he just gave me Timbuktu. Thanks I guess.
I was having lots of fun returning to Civ V as Prince. Grew Paris to 45 pops, which I was happy about.

- How useful was your UA? - Did not really use it. However built a large number of 'Chateau', quite helpful with culture and policies.
- Did you use spying to your advantage?. A little bit with some CS. Had a counterspy in Paris who killed large numbers of enemy spies.
- Did the map type help or hinder victory and how? Both I suppose. Made a fair bit of cash with Cs discovery bonus, and made it easy to get allied.
- How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions? Fun and relaxing game. Started to feel like a drag the last 50 turns. It was interesting to be remember of how lazy the AI is at this difficulty level.
- Was Faith helpful to achieve victory? It helped me with happiness until late game.
- What Social Policies did you choose and in what order? Which Ideology did you choose?. Tradition 6, Patronage 4 and rationalism 6. Picked Order for Happiness, prod and rushing of space-parts.

Won T387 (1976 AD)

- Did you use your UU?
No, no war at all. (In the end I had a lot of gifted units from CS, although there were not that many militaristic ones...)

Chateau was good (see culture)

A little, I think one tech and some election rigging
Was meeting CS a little late, could have done faster, I guess. I think, neither.
Was quite confident getting wonders and not fearing too much on the militarity side...
2 great scientists and in the end I even managed to convert the Greek cities. Provided happiness when it still was a problem (i.e. before having several CS allies...)
Tradition, Rationalism full, Commerce and liberty opener, Patronage; and in the end I even finished commerce.
Freedom ideology (was ok I guess) and in the end I had so much culture I even added unuseful tenets...
Was on the upper half most of the time, occasionaly making a short rush to catch up the lower part.

Yeah, first submitted TSG win, I think! (maybe I had a culture one in one of the early games? I don't know)
Now I am expert in Civ5 (... not really, still...); well, I think I know a lot of parts where I could/should have done better...

Game date: 1945AD
Turns played: 365
Base score: 2610
Final score: 3575

I think my average science time is faster on higher levels. Wonder if others feel the same way?

I agree. At the end I had 214 population with 1,854 science but technology growth still felt slow. Techs were military at first, then science or business to have money to buy science buildings.

I expected to win so I wanted a lot of cities with science buildings. First France captured most Greek cities, then the Celts finished off Greece, and finally France took the big Celtic cities leaving one for trade.

As usual faith mainly delivered money.

One Honor, full Tradition, the left side of Patronage and full Rationalism were the social policies; Freedom the ideology.

Did you use your UU?
I had chateaux everywhere delivering generous culture and gold. On Prince France had military dominance before the musketeer arrived.

It didn't hurt but I don't think it made much difference to a science victory.

With France so far ahead on science the spies rigged city-state elections.

Having just two other neighbouring civs made it easier to control the home island, but delayed conquest of more distant civs.

Won in 1968, score 1712.

- Did you use your UU?
No.

Not really.

I used it to keep city states allies to prevent anyone winning a diplomatic victory.

I used it to buy one great engineer, otherwise I ignored it.

Full tradition, then rationalism with some honor and patronage. Order.

Game: Civ5 GOTM 149
Date submitted: 2017-01-03 10:10:59
Reference number: 35122
Your name: beto_java
Game date: 1941AD
Turns played: 361
Base score: 2077
Final score: 2884
Time played: 11:22:00
Submitted save: FINAL_Napoleon_0361 AD-1941.Civ5Save
Renamed file: beto_java_C514901.Civ5Save

314/1888; first gotm submission in months (year?); been doing mostly hof.

Did you use your UU? No
How useful was your UA? Not much... built a couple just for grins.
Did you use spying to your advantage? Spy's were sent to city states to get influence
Did the map type help or hinder victory and how? Would have been much quicker w/ ocean start, but wheat/salt was nice
How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions? Overdid wonders
Was Faith helpful to achieve victory? Yes; it gave me a lot of money early (see below) on and bought 4 GSs
What Social Policies did you choose and in what order? Which Ideology did you choose? Freedom; 1 Piety (see below); 2(later 3) patronage; rationalism, freedom, Commerce: 3 (cheaper parts)
What techs did you prioritize ? Top half

Built SH in cap while waiting to build NC; 1 piety allows for Great Mosque, which with Borobudur and the 100g/city yields 900 gold at a great time (assuming no missionaries die).
Assumed Edin. was going to be the coastal city and took it relatively early (crossbows). But never used it much except for food to other cities. Later took Athens, but that only was marginal.

Was much better than normal at getting WLTKD's. Often all cities would want the same thing (or small number0, and being so far ahead in tech, could just declare war and settle for luxs. They even like you afterwards as you didn't take their cities.

About 8 wars: 1 for early settlers/workers; 2 for caps; 1 to kill Eth. GP, 3 for luxs/$.

Felt that if I was a better player, could have taken many(!) turns off...

Spoiler screencapture :
20170115193145_1.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom