1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

TSG 167 AAR

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Game Of The Month' started by Knowtalent, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Knowtalent

Knowtalent Chieftain GOTM Staff

Welcome to the TSG167 After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!
    STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.
    Please attach your final, first play through, .Civ5Save file, saved AFTER the victory ceremony if you were not conquered (using the "Lemme play one more turn" feature.) In your post.
    - How useful was your UA?
    - Did you use spying to your advantage?
    - Did the map type help or hinder victory and how?
    - How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions?
    - What Social Policies did you choose and in what order? Which Ideology did you choose?
    - What techs did you prioritize ?

2. zxcvbob

zxcvbob Chieftain

I played this last night instead of watching the Superbowl (who won?) The Puppy Bowl just had too much commentary to watch. Anyway, science victory in 1950. I could have had a diplomatic victory a few turns earlier because I accidentally had enough votes for the first World Leader election. I never fought any wars the whole time. Everyone was friendly until the end; then most of them started denouncing me for no apparent reason (diplo screens were all green except for "They have denounced us!") but they were afraid of me so nobody got froggy. I may "just one more turn" and start a world war just for fun :)
    I did not build any Kris swordmen; I had very little iron and was saving it for frigates, and I don't really like that unit anyway. Candi helped me get the last religion so I could keep my production from fishing boats pantheon. And the spices were nice. Not sure what else UA.

I didn't do much with my spies. Had one on defense in my capital the whole time. Moved the others around to city states. I think I had one diplomat at the end to help sow some unhappiness.

Map was a little weird; large map with quick pace. It meant I didn't need a very large army; mostly just a navy and a few marines. The difficulty meant I could go for more wonders, but also the AI's would be competitive at religion so I might have trouble founding one. (I probably should have built Stonehenge just to make sure.) I was sweating a little when there was just one prophet left and mine was 5 turns overdue already.

Tradition, Patronage, Rationalism, Freedom. After that I had all my important policies, but I did the left side of Honor and the right side of Commerce. I wasn't sure how much the space ship parts would cost and I wanted the discount from Commerce; turns out I had plenty of gold and didn't need the discount. Exploration was next if the game had gone on much longer.

Optics (for Great Lighthouse), Mathematics (for Hanging Gardens; mostly for the faith from the free Candi), Banking (Forbidden Palace), Astronomy (caravels), Satellites (Hubble).
    Spoiler :
    20180205111828_1.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  3. vadalaz

vadalaz Chieftain

Turn 160 SV with 7-city Liberty.

- UA helps a ton with the early expansion and the usual Liberty gpt problems
    - Took the fishing boats pantheon, founded with Hagia Sophia. Religion was Tithe / Garden happiness / +15% production / +50 faith per Great Person used
    - Constantly felt production-starved, there's just so much to build on island maps: lighthouses, workboats, harbors, triremes to explore and defend cargo ships. Quick makes this even worse
    - Consequently didn't build too many wonders, no good stuff like Oracle, ToA, Petra, Colossus etc. Missed GLH by a couple of turns which I was pretty upset about
    - Had to DoW Boudicca a few times to kill the prophet/missionary spam
    - Small city sizes and lack of observatories made for some weak bulbs, not even strong enough to 1-turn a first tier Info era tech. Not enough space to spam trading posts also hurts the Freedom endgame, but my tech rate wasn't fast enough for that to matter

Overall an enjoyable game, sort of made me wish Indonesia had an actually useful UU though.

Attached Files:

4. zxcvbob

zxcvbob Chieftain

I just did 4-city Tradition, but there were at least 3 more good spots for cities and I had happiness to spare; I probably should have settled a few more. Two of my cities had so much production I ran out of things to build; that's why I had so many wonders. But it took me 85 more turns to win (at quick pace!) so obviously I was doing something wrong. I might should have put 3 in Rationalism before finishing Patronage.

Oddly enough, Boudicca never sent any missionaries or prophets my way. (I would have welcomed a missionary but not a prophet) I was selling her spices for 7 GPT the whole game and that kept her off my back. Pacal did manage to convert one of my cities with a great prophet when i wasn't paying attention; that cost me over 20 hammers per turn until I could swim my prophet there to convert it back.

5. poxpower

poxpower Chieftain

turn 202 sv
    I really didn't care this game lol. I went 9 cities liberty, it was awful. Zero coal didn't help when I picked order either.
    Also got too many wonders. Oracle was pointless, Hagia sophia also. Got too many policies in exploration and some in piety for better religion. The fishing boat pantheon helps at least but it delayed my expands by a lot.

The King AI is just too horrible as well. Took forever to get any money or any luxuries to trade. No research agreements either since they were so poor and also 30 techs behind. I had way way too many great scientists at the end, didn't even build hubble.
    I had probably 5 scientists too many.
    Maybe could have saved 15 turns but whatever.

I really just wanted to play ridiculously wide but the land was just really terrible, sadly.

6. zxcvbob

zxcvbob Chieftain

I thought Patronage might be more important than Rationalism on a large map with lots of city states. An interesting challenge might be playing this one with a restriction that you *can't* open Rationalism.

7. poxpower

poxpower Chieftain

Rationalism is much much better than patronage, especially at low difficulties. The only point of patronage is to get the science bonus which is really tiny in comparison to the science boosts in Rationalism.
    You should only do it if you have some ridiculous amounts of culture and you know you're going to finish your ideology. I definitely could have done that in my game, for instance, but that's because I just turtled around and wasted time while Vadalaz was kicking my game's ass :p

8. raider980

raider980 Chieftain

RQ (rage quit) loss T82. Hahaha.

I swear sometimes I think the game can tell when you're about to get a wonder and just cheats and gives it to an AI even if they weren't about to finish it. I had not gotten a pantheon because I was trying to expand and there were a million barb ships so I had to build Triremes. Also, the pantheons were flying off the table. And I was behind in tech; at one point I had to go to the Options and check to see if this were really King, the AI seemed to be playing really well.

Then when I was researching Drama and Poetry I noticed that Hagia Sophia was only 12 turns away so I figured I'd go for it to get an instant religion and pantheon. After seeing the map I realized how good God of the Sea would be. I was 1 turn away from finishing Liberty for my GE to build HS and bam, "Hagia Sophia has been built in a faraway land". Worst part was that I had previously picked 2 Piety policies and delayed finishing Liberty because I miscalculated how much culture would be needed for the next policy. So I could have had HS a while ago. That's what I get for playing after drinking I guess.

9. JeffreyLXV

JeffreyLXV Chieftain

We were also very disappointed in the Puppy Bowl. It was unwatchable because of all the extra crap, just like the SB.

I was proud of my population until I saw your pic, but I went very wide with the Liberty policy. Your islands sure were packed with people though.

I founded a city by Krakatoa and 7 coal popped up nearby. I used it all for factories though and only upgraded caravels very late with coal from city states; then straight to destroyers. The military was an afterthought for me after Dido backed off.

I was trading bulk gold to other civs so they could afford research agreements. I don't know if it was worth it because like you said they fell behind; also wanted lots of extra to trade for them and great scientists eventually became plentiful.

I like founding cities with natural wonders and coal became available near Krakatoa. :p

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2018
  10. JeffreyLXV

JeffreyLXV Chieftain

I was shocked to see a victory on turn 160. Is using city production for research the trick? I never use those options; I just build.

I recruited one Kris swordsman and got the curse upgrade. :o

Why would you welcome missionaries if you had your own religion?

Dido took the fishing boat pantheon extra early from me so I just adopted Boudicca's religion. She had Jesuit Education and Pagodas. We had a good time.

11. zxcvbob

zxcvbob Chieftain

I think my populations are so high because Patronage; food from maritime CS's. :) Also I believe I had Temple of Artemis. I did not use internal trade routes. I'll have to reload the game to see if I got any food from religion -- mostly that was for hammers and gold.

JeffreyLXV likes this.
  12. JeffreyLXV

JeffreyLXV Chieftain

I like the idea of excluding Rationalism, but the civs have such difficulty on watery maps it would have just prolonged the inevitable.

13. zxcvbob

zxcvbob Chieftain

The Candi provides extra faith for every religion represented in your city. A missionary would add a believer or two but not convert the whole city. A prophet would wipe out all the other religions and I'd have to waste an inquisitor (or prophet zap) to get mine back -- and that would only restore my religion not the other foreigners.

JeffreyLXV likes this.
  14. JeffreyLXV

JeffreyLXV Chieftain

Edit 2: Heard from moderator that the enhanced user interface "has been deemed not a cheat as it doesn't change the game only how it is presented."

So, that settles that.

Edit
    : My sincere apology to everyone. I just realized from looking at other GotM submission pics that I erringly used the Enhanced User Interface mod.

I had a very long break from Civ 5 until playing again recently and genuinely forgot the interface was not standard. The enhancement apparently bypasses the Civ 5 mod selection interface because I made sure nothing was enabled before starting this GotM. Furthermore, I have been gaining Steam Achievements during my return to the game which added to the misconception I was playing without mods.

I look forward to participating in GotM in the future, if allowed. It was a bona fide mistake. I can be really dumb sometimes, but I also know that is not an excuse.

End edit.

This was a lot of fun. Thank you.

Turn 224, 1908 spaceship launch. 1241 score.
    Nine cities founded (one very late for uranium.)

Dido must have gotten faith from a village because she snatched the fishing boat pantheon right away. I eventually adopted Boudicca's religion with Jesuit Education and Pagodas.

I settled my second city on the horses that were revealed the next turn. If it wasn't GotM that would have been reload. I mean, how do you settle a city and not notice a bunch of equine galloping around. Also, is that why the AI didn't recommend that spot?

Missed Great Lighthouse by a couple of turns ... I was kind of unhappy by then ...

- Gajah's exclusive luxuries are great. They are always available for trading.

- Spies were kind of irrelevant. I camped them in city states and didn't care if techs were stolen.

- I never play islands because it further hampers the AI, but the map was fun with Gajah and going wide. Perhaps adding opposing civs with water talents would help. Kamehameha would have sure mixed things up.

- King difficulty (combined with all the water) allowed for the freedom to just build up cities. Becoming and staying friendly with everyone was important for me. Dido was threatening early because of my city spam, but she backed off her quinqueremes when I moved in my boats. She and Boudicca were at war for most of the game. The only war too, I think.

- I adopted Liberty, Rationalism, Freedom. I also grabbed a couple of policies in Exploration including Maritime Infrastructure (production) and had Naval Tradition ready because happiness looked troublesome around later mid-game. The Freedom ideology eventually fixed that even though nearly everyone else went with Order.

- Prioritized religion but abandoned it; science techs; faith for Jesuit Education; money for everything.

Again, I really enjoyed it. I had been playing Civ VI for a while ... Civ V seems so polished, professional, smooth and pretty after that tiresome mess.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  15. JeffreyLXV

JeffreyLXV Chieftain

Ahh I see. Thank you.

Oh yeah ... Now I remember missing Temple of Artemis by one turn!

I should have uploaded my game save before responding to all the comments .... working.

16. Rogerio_AA

Rogerio_AA Chieftain

Game status: Scientific Victory
    Game date: 1987AD
    Turns played: 267
    Base score: 1613

Was not so usefull at the beginning of the game, but was very important near the end, to maintain good levels of happiness - until start the ideologies.

Not exactly to get an advantage, but to maintain, to prevent other spies from stealing my techs

- Did the map help or hinder victory and how?
    I got a lot of Ruins! :D I think my capital grew 6 times by this way!

Play in this level is easy, the AI is not so agressive, and I built a lot of Wonders...
    But I lost the Fishing boats pantheon and the Jesuit Education... :rolleyes:
    And just at the ending of the game, Carthago declared war against me...!

- What Social Policies did you choose and in what order? Which Ideology did you choose?

I usually start opening Tradition, to get +3 culture/turn; then I completed Liberty, after Piety (to get Reformation Belief), followed to Rationalism and two firts Exploration, for more production and happiness, interspersed with some ideologies

- What techs did you prioritize?
    Starting with Pottery - for Religion, Optics - to explore the map and get a lot of Ruins - until Navigation.
    After complete the tree until Scientific Theory, got the techs of the Scientific Wonders Learning Tower of Pisa and Brandemburg Gate.
    From this point, I was getting a tech every seven turns, and a lot of Scientific Leaders...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    JeffreyLXV likes this.
  17. JeffreyLXV

JeffreyLXV Chieftain

Wow ... Buku culture. I had to constantly buy tiles, lacking the city spread from only adopting Liberty.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  18. Elon1106

Elon1106 Chieftain

Science victory
    Turn:
    Game Date: 1932AD
    Score: 1073

UA was very useful with the extra happiness so i can expand quick, and the extra gold from trading the resources. Not used the Candi much i builded it to late.

Yes, had one all the time in my capital and one to riggle election in a city state. The others i had in other cities to get free techs. After Theology i did not researched the top row for a long time, got them mostly with spies. They costed only 1-2 turns for me to research. So maybe it was smarter to just riggle elections with them all.

- Did the map type help or hinder victory and how?
    I think it helped, i liked the map good terrain for indonesia. I could easily expand my empire fast and also had nearly no happiness problems.

It was very easy but i liked it. Carthage declared war against me, because i nearly had no units. They try to capture a city but i succeeded it to defense very easy. +/- 20 turns later she gave me 17 gold per turn for peace. Also declared war against Egypt, because they had 2 settlers on a island were i want to settle. (late game)

First open Tradition, then full Liberty and then i was stupid and i had 2 turns before i was in the renaissance era a policy, so i opened commerce. After that i opened rationalism and put 2 policy's in it. Then i chose the order ideoligy. (i think this was a bad decision, i had a decent amount of gold and i think freedom was better)

- What techs did you prioritize?
    Did nearly go all in for the science techs.

I maked a lot of academies and did not spare any GS up for the last few techs. I maked 6 acedemies and the rest i used it directly for a tech boost. I think i could have a victory a bit faster when i spared some up. Also i had maked only a few trading posts, i nearly never make these things. Maybe i underestimate the power of gold to much. I played a lot of CIV 5 but nearly never in multiplayer or active in forums like this? So any tips?

@vadalaz i really like to see how fast you completed this game. And you do so much things different then me, much to improve for me!

Attached Files:

JeffreyLXV likes this.
  19. Hobse

Hobse Chieftain

This is the first TSG that I've attempted... and I was quite excited about it, in fact played the whole game in one sitting (and there went my Friday night). I've never played on a map like this, never played Indonesia and never done a VC that wasn't Domination. So there was many things that I had never tried to do, which resulted in a longer game that I needed to. I also went for the Steam achievement of finishing the entire tech tree, so that was another reason it took a bit longer than they should have.

I'm not sure if it was against rules to kill off one of the other civs? I ended up killing off Boudicaa, because she kept faith spamming me and one of the other civs wanted to start a war, so I joined in. I took her three cities, ending that civ, and stayed on 7 cities for the rest of the game. Because I had never done a science victory, I highly mismanaged my GS... never having used one for a building... but it went alright. I got ahead early, used spies to protect myself (I think I killed four German spies in the game).

It was a great game... and holding a nuke was pretty fun for the first time!

Attached Files:

20. tagger2013

tagger2013 Chieftain

Went for a 4 city tall science found the unique ability to get two luxes for the 3 cities founded on other islands helpful
    by the time I had a spy up I was leading in tech
    I liked the map as I was able to turtle once I got my cities up
    - went with tradition out the gate, Once completed dumped 1 into honor to get culture when wacking barbs burn a second policy in honor and one in commerec before being able to start in rationalism, choose freedom ideology
    - Went with naval type tech once I got writing up. no other cive had free luxuries to trade. it sucked for that

Attached Files: