1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

TSG 172 AAR

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Game Of The Month' started by leif erikson, Jul 4, 2018.

1. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Welcome to the TSG172 After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!
    STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.
    Please attach your final, first play through, .Civ5Save file, saved AFTER the victory ceremony if you were not conquered (using the "Lemme play one more turn" feature.) In your post.
    - How useful was your UA?
    - Did you use spying to your advantage?
    - Did the map type help or hinder victory and how?
    - How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions?
    - What Social Policies did you choose and in what order? Which Ideology did you choose?
    - What techs did you prioritize ?

2. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

From Beetle:
    I enjoyed the map well enough, and kept playing until I had tourism influence over everyone. Took me until T456!

3. vadalaz

vadalaz Chieftain

Your name: vadalaz
    Game status: Culture Victory
    Game date: 880AD
    Turns played: 154
    Base score: 646
    Final score: 1266

Somewhat poorly executed Sacred Sites. Culture to beat was Egypt's 2600.

I settled off the coast because you don't necessarily need triremes to explore as Polynesia and I wanted some actual production in the capital. Went for Stonehenge and got it on turn 46 or 47.

My biggest mistake was going pure Piety, I think. The fast settlers and extra hammers from a Liberty dip would've helped offset the delay caused by Stonehenge and some other questionable decisions.

Attached Files:

4. raider980

raider980 Chieftain

Well I lost by quitting when I saw it was only going to last 300 turns. I wasn't going to be able to win by then. I messed up in the beginning by attacking Greece too early and failing. Plus all my Maori Warriors are worthless because there's no iron anywhere.

I started again but it doesn't seem to be going much better this time. Obviously I don't know how to do sacred sites.

5. Maxerman

Maxerman Chieftain

@vadalaz How have you created numerous cities within 3 tiles of both friendly and enemy citites?

6. vadalaz

vadalaz Chieftain

You can settle 3 tiles away if the city is on a different landmass.

7. raider980

raider980 Chieftain

What exactly happens when a game ends after a certain number of turns? Does the AI stop trying to win, i.e. will they not try to build spaceships? Or does it just affect the score?

I went back and continued my original game and am approaching T300 but am not close to victory. But I don't really want to continue if they AI isn't going to play.

8. cyu291

cyu291 Chieftain

Turn 162 sacred sites culture victory.

I went liberty 2 then piety 5. Finishing piety was probably a bad choice, maybe getting a musician from liberty finisher would have sped up the finish.

China and Carthage were the civs to overtake. I forgot to spread religion to the rival civs, so that may have cost a few turns.

Attached Files:

9. Rogerio_AA

Rogerio_AA Chieftain

Game status: Culture Victory
    Game date: 1836AD
    Turns played: 288
    Final score: 2597

- How useful was your UA?
    Embark and move over oceans since from the beginning of the game allows to open many Ancient Ruins before the other Civs.

- Did you use spying to your advantage?
    At first to protect my techs; later, to influence culturally (with diplomats)

- Did the map type help or hinder victory and how?
    The map made it easy to produce a lot of culture by building Moais... :D

- How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions?
    At the beginning of the game, the Greeks declared war on me ... but due to the low level of difficulty, I was conquering all other Civs, leaving only Japan - to finally get the Cultural Victory over it.

- What Social Policies did you choose and in what order? Which Ideology did you choose?
    Started by opening tradition, completed Liberty, then Aesthetics, Exploration and, at the end of the game, got one policy of Rationalism. Did not have time to open the ideologies.

- What techs did you prioritize?
    First to Masonry, to build Pyramids; then to Drama and Poetry tech, for try build The Parthenon and the Writer's Guild. After, Education, Acoustics, Architecture... then Printing Press, and finished with Archaeology, digging Antiquity Sites.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018