TSG 172 AAR

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Welcome to the TSG172 After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!
STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.
Please attach your final, first play through, .Civ5Save file, saved AFTER the victory ceremony if you were not conquered (using the "Lemme play one more turn" feature.) In your post.
- How useful was your UA?
- Did you use spying to your advantage?
- Did the map type help or hinder victory and how?
- How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions?
- What Social Policies did you choose and in what order? Which Ideology did you choose?
- What techs did you prioritize ?

From Beetle:
I enjoyed the map well enough, and kept playing until I had tourism influence over everyone. Took me until T456!

Your name: vadalaz
Game status: Culture Victory
Game date: 880AD
Turns played: 154
Base score: 646
Final score: 1266

Somewhat poorly executed Sacred Sites. Culture to beat was Egypt's 2600.

I settled off the coast because you don't necessarily need triremes to explore as Polynesia and I wanted some actual production in the capital. Went for Stonehenge and got it on turn 46 or 47.

My biggest mistake was going pure Piety, I think. The fast settlers and extra hammers from a Liberty dip would've helped offset the delay caused by Stonehenge and some other questionable decisions.

Attachments

• 20180704172317_1.jpg
    20180704172317_1.jpg
    541.8 KB · Views: 310
Well I lost by quitting when I saw it was only going to last 300 turns. I wasn't going to be able to win by then. I messed up in the beginning by attacking Greece too early and failing. Plus all my Maori Warriors are worthless because there's no iron anywhere.

I started again but it doesn't seem to be going much better this time. Obviously I don't know how to do sacred sites.

You can settle 3 tiles away if the city is on a different landmass.

What exactly happens when a game ends after a certain number of turns? Does the AI stop trying to win, i.e. will they not try to build spaceships? Or does it just affect the score?

I went back and continued my original game and am approaching T300 but am not close to victory. But I don't really want to continue if they AI isn't going to play.

Turn 162 sacred sites culture victory.

I went liberty 2 then piety 5. Finishing piety was probably a bad choice, maybe getting a musician from liberty finisher would have sped up the finish.

China and Carthage were the civs to overtake. I forgot to spread religion to the rival civs, so that may have cost a few turns.

Attachments

• 20180712122946_1.jpg
    20180712122946_1.jpg
    584.6 KB · Views: 246
Game status: Culture Victory
Game date: 1836AD
Turns played: 288
Final score: 2597

- How useful was your UA?
Embark and move over oceans since from the beginning of the game allows to open many Ancient Ruins before the other Civs.

- Did you use spying to your advantage?
At first to protect my techs; later, to influence culturally (with diplomats)

- Did the map type help or hinder victory and how?
The map made it easy to produce a lot of culture by building Moais... :D

- How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions?
At the beginning of the game, the Greeks declared war on me ... but due to the low level of difficulty, I was conquering all other Civs, leaving only Japan - to finally get the Cultural Victory over it.

- What Social Policies did you choose and in what order? Which Ideology did you choose?
Started by opening tradition, completed Liberty, then Aesthetics, Exploration and, at the end of the game, got one policy of Rationalism. Did not have time to open the ideologies.

- What techs did you prioritize?
First to Masonry, to build Pyramids; then to Drama and Poetry tech, for try build The Parthenon and the Writer's Guild. After, Education, Acoustics, Architecture... then Printing Press, and finished with Archaeology, digging Antiquity Sites.

Attachments

• TSG172 Map.jpg
    TSG172 Map.jpg
    763.5 KB · Views: 257
  • TSG172 Culture.jpg
    TSG172 Culture.jpg
    419.3 KB · Views: 192
  • TSG172 Social Policies.jpg
    TSG172 Social Policies.jpg
    534.4 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
Took 223 turns, but I did it. I apparently am no good with Sacred Sites. I spammed cities all over the place but happiness and I don't get along well. I was able to clean up everyone but Carthage and Egypt around turn 160... Guess I should have went to war with those two.

Lots of stuff I did wrong though, it's not as easy as just opening the left half of liberty to spam settlers and taking piety to reformation to get those Sacred Sites. I was lucky and got stonehenge, it was the only way I founded a religion at all.

Greece took two building and then converted half of my empire, so I built SS buildings in all of them before converting them all back. That helped but... it wasn't enough. Greece and France went to war with me and did, well, nothing. At all. My 2 comp bow, 1 warrior, scouts, and army of settlers ignored them and kept on traveling the world.

I finished Piety first to enhance my religion, and then finished up Liberty to get a great musician and it STILL wasn't enough. Those last 60 turns were completely unnecessary. I wish I had gone to war instead of just ignored my enemies.

Anyways, I've missed this game. I'm glad these are still happening. Hopefully next time I can make better small decisions instead of just getting the big picture right. It's the little things that matter in this game, not the big ones.

Oh yeah, I need to answer the questions:

- How useful was your UA? Extremely, I settled off the coast thanks to it and spammed cities everywhere. The Moai's were OK but I only built them because my workers ran out of things to do.
- Did you use spying to your advantage? Yes, I forgot I could send the guy as a diplomat though and wish I'd have remembered that, it'd have shaved 20 turns off maybe. I kept getting them killed in failed coups.
- Did the map type help or hinder victory and how? Helped, the computers ignored me and I settled right on top of them all over the map.
- How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions? I knew I wouldn't be invaded, ever, and could settle wherever I wanted with no need to choose terrain that is impossible to invade.
- What Social Policies did you choose and in what order? Which Ideology did you choose? Opened Piety first like a bozo to build a shrine in half the time, then took Liberty to collective rule (should have done that first) then completed Piety (got lucky on some ruins) finished Liberty, then started working on Aesthetics since I was out of stuff to do.
- What techs did you prioritize ? Pottery first for a shrine, then mining, masonry, philosophy, theocracy, currency, then tried to get to navigation so I could buy some frigates since I was getting really impatient.

Attachments

• Really....jpg
    Really....jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 224
  • Final Turn.jpg
    Final Turn.jpg
    720.3 KB · Views: 244
  • Kamehameha_0223 AD-1565.Civ5Save
    1.1 MB · Views: 89
Top Bottom