1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

TSG 201 AAR

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Game Of The Month' started by Knowtalent, Dec 21, 2020.

1. Knowtalent

Knowtalent Emperor GOTM Staff

Welcome to the TSG 201 After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!
    STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.
    Please attach your final, first play through, .Civ5Save file, saved AFTER the victory ceremony if you were not conquered (using the "Lemme play one more turn" feature.) In your post.
    - How useful was your UA?
    - Did you use spying to your advantage?
    - Did the map type help or hinder victory and how?
    - How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions?
    - What Social Policies did you choose and in what order? Which Ideology did you choose?
    - What techs did you prioritize ?
    - What did you think of the map and settings?

2. zxcvbob

zxcvbob Emperor

I'm about 170 turns in. I settled 2 cities, one on the cocoa and one to the east by the mountains to pick up some iron and more horses (and gold.) Tradition opener, full Honor (right side first), now working on Patronage -- since everyone else is gonna hate me, I want the city states to like me, plus I might need to build Forbidden Palace. Germany has been defeated, mostly. I left them one horrible city because of the no city razing thing (I hate that rule, even tho' I very seldom raze cities) I started to capture it anyway and then try to get a city state to take it from me when I declare war on Sweden, but my UA might work against that. I'm already having minor happiness problems and that's only going to get worse.

I have built 3 wonders: Hanging Gardens, Zeus, and Machu Picchu. I don't plan on building many more; I captured a bunch from Germany, so it's about time to annex Berlin. I wish Bismarck had settled Hamburg on the coast but it's one tile away.

I made one horrible error; I forgot to build a horseman or two and leave them non-upgraded. So I'm using swordsmen, pikes, and scouts to capture cities; I'm giving them Cover and Survivalism promotions. (I might ought to try getting a scout to Scouting III so he can walk in from 3 tiles away regardless of the terrain) I'm friends with a military CS and hoping they give me a knight.

Babylon is next, then Sweden. Then I'll need to explore some more because that's all I've met. Almost thought this was a continents map for a while. :)

Thanks for the game KT, and Merry Christmas

leif erikson likes this.
  3. davidberq

davidberq Chieftain

Had a domination victory on turn 310. It was one of my better games.

I used the extra mounted movement a lot since I had mostly those units.

A little to catch up in technology.

It helped since I did not go after any technology for water travel except sailing for the trade route.

It made the game easier since I could catch up in technology.

- What Social Policies did you choose and in what order? Which Ideology did you choose?
    Tradition and then Patronage.

Pottery->Mounted Unit techs->Worker techs and Science techs

Raging Barbs made getting promotions earlier along with finding ruins and city states.

Overall I thought this was a fun game with interesting civs and could use a little more difficulty level.

Attached Files:

JeffreyLXV and leif erikson like this.
  4. Jovan Kukic

Jovan Kukic Warlord

Turn 184 Domination victory.
    UA was very useful, faster mounted units, khans and especially, mighty keshiks :)
    I made 3 good cities. I think I captured only 2 non-capital cities.
    Map helped my conquest, because I had fast land units. I sent my first army to attack Sweden and then more distant civs. My army was waiting :groucho: for Denmark to capture Istanbul, losing many of their mighty units in battles. Then I took it from them. I left Babylon and Germany for new second army.
    I prioritized Patronage.
    I prioritized tech for keshik.
    Map and settings were nice.

Attached Files:

leif erikson likes this.
  5. Rhodro

Rhodro Chieftain

Turn 229 domination victory.
    1st turn i scouted southwest with warrior to find it was a pretty difficult jungle start. I thought for a very long time and decided to settle in place and go liberty for the early hammers and free settler.
    Overall I made some logistical and war mistakes (misplaced horseman that got killed so I couldn't take city).

Only trained for a short while on CS before started wars with AI. The faster horsemen are nice around hills for waiting outside city range to capture it. I liked the extra healing from kahns a lot.

Couldn't steal anything. Only killed some spies. Game too short to play with CS.

Funny, it's pangea with 1 very small corridor to the other half of the map. I didn't control the corridor all the time, made mistakes by selling off cities around it. So my logistics/infrastructure towards the 2nd half of the map was not that great and it delayed me a bit.

AI were very poor in gold, so sadly when i sold them cities due to no razing i got nothing for it. They also couldn't put up a fight against keshi. Around the end i was beelining for washington with 7 highly promoted keshiks and it was a slaughter.
    Was still able to steal some workers early from military city state that i declared on to train later. Had to hard build 1 even earlier though, because if jungle that needed to be cut.

Full liberty and then full commerce. Whole game long gold and happiness was an issue, until the very end with the commerce finisher.

Early on horses and iron, to soften the blow of jungle. Then luxuries + national college. Then keshiks. After keshiks i went universities then dynamite. Didn't need dynamite though.

Raging barbs was indeed noticable, especially with a jungle start (low hammers) and me focusing on chariot archers instead of normal archers. No razing citys was annoying. I opted to leave a lot of enemy cities around, because of this reason. Then sweden went crazy with religious spam. It didnt snuff out my religion, but he completely stopped my religion from naturally spreading over the continent. If I could raze i could also snuff out his religion.

Overall i think it might have gone better if i went honor, settled less cities myself, and actually eradicate the enemies instead of leaving some up. I also wished i got some better religious policies like pagoda's but I thought 2 religious CS friends was enough to get a good religion and focussed on it far too late.

Attached Files:

leif erikson likes this.
  6. FritsF1

FritsF1 Chieftain

Turn 267 DomV

The movement for mounted units was great, the extra strength against CS’s was only marginally useful.

Not really, I put a spy in de capitals I attacked to get a better view.

The map felt a bit like continents. Exploration was hard because of the raging barbs. I should have explored the sea more. I was friends with everybody on my continent until keshiks became available, then Germany was the first to go because I wanted all their wonders, I took two cities with 5 keshiks and a horseman. Then Babylon, 1 city, Sweden 2 cities. I had to give one of the Swedish cities to Bismarck because of happiness problems. The Ottomans were next, 2 cities. After that the Americans seemed to be the biggest challenge with twice my military power so I attacked them before the keshiks were completely obsolete. The keshiks had to fight minutemen and riflemen in the woods, this was rough but they survived. Last were Edinburgh and Copenhagen, this was easy with the help of some cannons.

The Keshiks were useful the whole game, on a lower level I would have started the wars sooner, on a higher level I wouldn’t have been able to win before the keshiks were obsolete.

Full Liberty, Commerce and Order (for the quick happiness)

First chivalry, then industrialization (to build/buy 3 factories to get an ideology)

The raging barbs gave me a rough start. I had to build units instead of buildings, exploration was difficult and trade routes were difficult to keep safe. I’m not so good at warmongering but the keshiks made it easy.
    It was fun, thanks for the game!

Attached Files:

7. beetle

beetle Deity

Once again, I only just now uploaded, even though I finished the game a couple weeks ago.

Great fun, but took me until T439 to win by DomVC.

I am really impressed to see the many fast victories! I will try and read closely to figure out how people dealt with the geography.

I think I had to pick the one-more-turn-option when the time victory came up? Also had a problem with the game crashing repeated, so I had wind back a few turns at one point.

JeffreyLXV likes this.
  8. JeffreyLXV

JeffreyLXV Chieftain

At turn 316 I did not complete the game. I suspect at least another 100 turns to build a modern army and finish off Harold Bluetooth and George Washington.

I did not conquer any city-sates.
    I've never had spys fail so much in preventing technology theft, and rigging CS elections.
    I had trouble warring through the narrow tract toward Denmark. I should have made a navy, and more air-units before attempting.
    Avoided chasing wonders and prioritized science somewhat to catch up to A.I
    Liberty, Honor, Autocracy.
    - What techs did you prioritize?
    Bee-lined to Chivalry for Keshiks.
    I believe Babylon struggled with raging barbarians, likely losing its early settlers. Germany also seemed hampered. I like Jungle tiles. :science::science:

I need more experience with domination victories, especially on larger maps. I however, get a bit bored and don't enjoy it.

I conquered Babylon, Berlin, and Stockholm, but got bogged down taking on Denmark, who had a lot of air-units and a navy, and had eliminated The Ottomans and The Celts. America was lagging in all stats.

Keshiks are the bomb, until they get bombed.

I wish players would more often submit pictures, especially of their starting areas.

From other replies, I should have been attacking sooner and more directly at the capitals, and also not accumulating so many cities.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    leif erikson likes this.
  9. zxcvbob

zxcvbob Emperor

I'm glad to see others having trouble finishing this one. :) I had a good start going but got bogged down in Denmark and abandoned the game a couple of weeks ago. Decided to try again and started over. (so I'm not going to submit mine) I'm on turn 250 now. Biggest problem up to now has been happiness. Once again, I could not get any scouts to the eastern half of the map to explore because strong barb units were guarding the isthmus near Istanbul. I have Denmark on the ropes, but my super-promoted keshiks are running out of steam; I'm having to use a front line of rifles and Gatling guns to protect the keshiks, and the keshiks aren't doing enough damage anymore. So I need to research either Flight or Dynamite (I captured the Great Wall from Sweden, so it'll probably be Flight. I have oil) I liberated Dublin, and now I'm gifting Boudicca cities to keep her alive; that has also helped a lot with the happiness problem.

Honor opener, full Liberty, full Commerce, Autocracy 6 (Gunboat Diplomacy), and the rest of my policies will probably be in Rationalism.

ETA: I just finished on turn 333. Washington was the last to fall. I had 20 cities at the end. Here's a screen shot of my core cities for Jeffrey. I also annexed Berlin, Istanbul, and Copenhagen. Istanbul built Prora and I purchased battleships and a submarine there. Copenhagen is almost finished building Neuschwanstein and I bought bombers and a fighter there.
    20210116142105_1.jpg

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021 at 3:35 PM