TSG132 After Actions

Hammer Rabbi

Deity
GOTM Staff
Welcome to the TSG132 After Actions Report. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please use the Civ5 game submission page to submit your final, first play through, .Civ5Save file, saved AFTER the victory ceremony if you were not conquered (using the "Lemme play one more turn" feature.).

- What tech path did you plan/follow for your VC choice?
- Describe your military/conquest path if you had one.
- Describe your strategy for CV and your plan for tourism.
- Which strategic gambles paid off? Which ones didn't?
- In hindsight, how would you have played this differently? Entirely different VC? Different opening policies?
- Describe the good and bad of playing later era starts.

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

Ouch.

My initial plan was culture via internet musicians, so I opted for Tradition to push the growth, and get the free culture buildings. Dropped the second settler to the North near the faith mountain, then had to wait a few nerve wracking turns to be able to afford to buy the hex for the faith mountain before the city state claimed it.

Took earth mother, and then while waiting for my prophet to actually pop (had enough faith), England built HS, and Spain got their religion, and finished piety so enhanced and reformed. I took Tithe, and had to settle for Sword to Plowshares. (I had been hoping for pagodas and cathedrals)

I dropped a 3rd city on the coast to the east, and then a fourth inland to grab marble and some more faith hexes. I was feeling pretty good. had explored, cities were starting to grow nicely, had 3 workers improving, had gotten the Sistine, created my first great work, and was starting to feel like my infrastructure was falling in to place.

That fourth city though. As soon as I dropped it, England and Austria declared war on me. 5 turns later Spain joined. between the three of them, they were allied with 6 city states, 3 of which were on my borders. While England and Austria didn't bother to even send a troop within shooting range, Spain and the 3 city states swarmed me. Held them off for a while, but then one of the city states took advantage of Spain bombarding me and snuck in to capture the city.

I couldn't handle losing one of my cities to a city state. So I decided to start over. (total cmd-q rage quit) I had to reload my autosave the next morning to officially retire and submit my loss. Here's hoping I can avoid getting the entire continent to declare war on me on my second attempt.

thanks for the reply, strake. glad you endured but those frustrating moments can happen. but if anything, these games are actually pretty fun to replay. it shifts a little from difficult opening decisions to really strategizing the late game choices since you already know your immediate terrain and neighbors. so much interesting experimentation if late era games are foreign to players. thanks for submitting the loss, we appreciate it.

HR

Your name: donkeyfish
Game status: Domination Victory
Game date: 300AD (1884AD)
Turns played: 127
Base score: 1257
Final score: 5028

First a bit of confusion: Either its t127 or t312. I played 127 turns, but started on t185. So technically, it was 1884 AD instead of 300 AD.

Went straight for Navigation:mad: 1 city the entire game could be hit by Frigates. Had to change my mind and go for Dynamite, then Flight. Got 2 GWB the turn I won, so got to bomb once. I sold 8 buildings to be able to buy a 3rd one as well, but a misclick made me buy a Temple instead :mad:
Would have been better to head straight for Dynamite after Astronomy I think.

First 2 builds in all 3 cities were Crossbow. DoWed Spain on sight, took Madrid around t30, London around t50 and Vienna t62 (see screenshot). Lot of pain with the jungle, so betrayed my word twice to speed things up- Elizabeth told the world of my true nature, so no trades...

Around this point, I realised navy was useless. Spent 20 turns swimming over, adding some cannons/muskets along the way. Took Paris on t88, had 70 strength cities so needed some precision.

Got Dynamite around t88 as well and went for Washington. Was planning to Oxford it, but my war against France made me unable to build NW. USA was surprisingly close to planes at this point (was bulding Prora), so had to take him first. Would have prefered to take Berlin first while building road around to US and Sweden. USA went 5(!) in Rationalism this game, rarely see that happening with the AI.

After Washington (t100-something), I marched on Sweden and had a new set of units in the making to take Germany. Forward-settled on Bismarck to speed things up a bit. Didnt have many melee in the end, so it was slow. USA with their Great War Infantry plowed through my Rifles and Pikes quite easy...

I had none, got some loot.

Beeline Navigation was a blunder
Not waiting for Artillery before starting war on other continent was a good decision I think. Even though I lost quite a bit of units.
Never played Renaissance start before, so was happy crossbow-rush was possible.

- In hindsight, how would you have played this differently? Entirely different VC? Different opening policies?

About the same. Definitely build Library, NC and Uni instead of navy though. Would have given me GS before Dynamite, speeding everything up. should have picked GS instead of GE from finisher. That way, it would have been possible to bulb Fertilizer and Military Science + Oxford Dynamite for super-early Artilleries.

Should have had more workers, only had 4-5 on the other continent. Roads were never finished in time, slowing down the progress. 5-6 more workers would have been golden.

No Great Wall!
Super fast start with Liberty, AI as suspected likes to try all the wonders immediately :)

Less time makes the window of opportunity is smaller. E.g. if you go for xbows in a normal game you have ca95-100turns to train units, harass neighbour etc. Often its also possible to take 1-2 guys with composites, which is difficult with this start.

Edit: Forgot 1 thing - that everyone starts with the same army makes it easy to be 1st in troops for cs-tribute. Definitely an advantage

Attachments

• Japan_win.jpg
    Japan_win.jpg
    524.4 KB · Views: 311
  • Japan_continentdone.jpg
    Japan_continentdone.jpg
    546.6 KB · Views: 254
I almost pulled off a Culture Victory, approximately t188.

After killing off France turn 183 (they were by far the culture runaway), and Austria having been eliminated by someone else, I was influential over 4 of the 5 remaining rivals. Had my GM (cultural strength ~2500) 3 turns away from Swedish territory, and needed less than 2000 tourism to become influential over them.

I suppose a concert tour would have given me victory unless the GM got killed (Sweden had DOWed me a couple turns before), but that was kind of unlikely as he was accompanied by an infantry and a landship, and we didn't see any Swedish units near.

However, Washington launched their space ship t184, so game over.

I tried a Sacred Sites strategy, going 3 into Piety and 1 Liberty from the start, immediately building HS and going for a strong religion. Got Sacred sites plus 2 religious buildings. Spain, our neigbour, got the other 2, so I had 4 religious buildings in some cities which they temporarily converted, for 8 tourism each.

However, at renaissance start, religious buildings quickly became too expensive. Also, happiness was too scarce to city spam.

My strategy actually backfired as I had an incentive to tech slower than I normally would have, to keep religious building cost down. I went into rationalism real late (after freedom).

I guess if I'd been quicker to internet, I might have won this...

FWIW here's my notes from the game:

BO city 1: scout, hagia, bought barracks, CB, WOrkshop, Cargo Ship, CB, worker, lib, NC... writer's guild, stone works, great mosque of djenne, ironworks
BO city 2: worker, library, cargo ship, temple

1 settled on salt 1E
3 settled near copper & faith wonder
3 scout
23 hagia / rel: ceremonial burial / pagodas / sacred sites
28 enhanced: cathedrals / religious text
58 great mosque
113 won WF
164 won IG
183 killed France

Science loss t184

Game: Civ5 GOTM 132
Date submitted: 2016-04-06 01:27:29
Reference number: 34196
Your name: belligerent
Game status: Science Loss
Game date: 1240AD
Turns played: 184
Base score: 1704
Final score: 1704

Booooo! Clearly not as adept at advanced start... Didn't play practice games, so was kind of winging it and made a couple of probably fatal mistakes:

- Didn't get Navigation soon enough, which made killing Spain take longer.
- Focused too much on infrastructure early instead of taking the fight to the neighbors.
- Underestimated Austria and actually had to delay taking them over until Rocketry. That was what did me in. By the time I got to the other continent, Washington was most of the way to his science victory, and no one over there could slow him down, though Sweden tried.

Good learning experience, anyway.

Went straight for Scientific Theory and worked on a science lead before military techs. That was a mistake. Should've beelined Artillery and/or Navigation. Thought the game would be longer, so figured infrastructure and going deeper into Science was important, but ended up costing me in the end.

Spain (because she was settling around me and had Tercios up) -> England -> Austria -> France -> (America) -> (Sweden) -> (Germany)

Probably could've gone after Germany and France at the same time, but was focused on trying to get at America to stop him. Never got there...

Tourism? :)

Building infrastructure didn't. Pressing against Austria didn't.

I think Liberty was the way to go, but Honor would've worked better than I thought initially. Never would've gotten through H-C-A in all likelihood, but maybe I'll replay and try to see how it goes.

Thought the advanced start really marginalized Japan. Samurai were kind of useless after about 30 turns against Tercios. Zeros are always pretty useless, and the +culture wasn't helpful that late either.

Otherwise, it was just pretty vastly different than the standard game. I had the advantages late, but let the other continent go unscathed for too long and it cost me the game.

Game status: Culture Victory
Game date: 1130AD
Turns played: 173
Base score: 1604
Final score: 4717
Time played: 7:20:00

Astronomy, then Public schools, and standard culture tech path. Oxford Radio, detour to get airport, then Internet. Some of the AI was able to tech relatively quickly and get most/all renaissance/industrial wonders which made this game a grind.

Pretty sure Spain is a problem due to proximity, so planned to war with them as soon as I'm done reasonably with tech. Their Prora was also helpful. After that it's focusing on culture leader which would be France, but it wasn't necessary to kill them and 3 GM would be enough, even though they already built Great Firewall, it doesn't affect GM concert tours. Easy to manipulate AI into fighting the same war so I didn't get denounced until very late in the game.

War assisted CV but Spain wasn't able to build many wonders, had few great works and it would take too long to conquer rest of continent. Most of the tourism is from wonders and artifacts. Passive tourism converted Germany and 3 GM got France for the win. Rest of the AI had very little culture and was easy.

Focusing on tech was correct move, unless planning for domination early. Getting religion with religious buildings isn't good move, as later era buildings cost too much and it's definitely a waste to use GPr from liberty finisher. Should've got GE to rush one of the wonders. Also trying Order based CV on immortal is good move due to the double dipping as AI love to get order for some reason and it isn't hard to kill their happiness for their bonus by getting world ideology passed and other tricks such as selling cities.

Possibly tradition start might have been stronger since it's easy to get happiness starved due to larger cities from late start prevents settling too many cities. I could only plant 5 liberty cities which isn't enough and took too long to conquer additional ones. It is correct to delay rationalism until cities are large enough. Also I should've paid more attention to getting CS and it is better to delay the IG by blocking it from passing. IG was too early in my game and largely wasted.

AI has much better start because usually on immortal the player should be ahead of AI by renaissance. That pretty much made it difficult to win peaceful CV due to difficulty of getting key renaissance wonders. It made CV harder as result, but it should be easier if I focused more on war.

Spoiler :

Your name: Yarin
Game date: 740AD
Turns played: 147
Base score: 1054
Final score: 3634
Time played: 2:45:00

With ideologies and GP available early, futurism was obviously the way to go. I won some 5 turns after researching internet while being influential with some civs just thanks to GP generation. I believe really good players will finish this much faster.

Reaching modern era thru oxford/radio asap to adopt autocracy. Then hotels->airports->internet.

No wars at all.

250 tourism from futurism turned out to be a really huge number in renaissance start. Then just filling up the museums and wonder or two and that was it.

I don't think it was a gamble, but definitely futurism was a key.

I made some detours before reaching modern era. I would just beeline it next time.

Lack of head start made AIs somehow clueless and availability of tourism right from the start without culture cushion on side of opponents made this much easier than normal immortal game.

Date submitted: 2016-04-07 17:40:11
Reference number: 34206
Your name: ferenginar
Game status: Science Loss
Game date: 1230AD
Turns played: 183
Base score: 952
Final score: 952
Time played: 4:15:00
Submitted save: Ferenginar_TSG132_0369 AD-1949.Civ5Save
Renamed file: ferenginar_C513201.Civ5Save

When for CV, but it would be too much to say it was planned, I simply considered DV too much for me at this level.

Didn't really have much of a strategy, what there was collapsed after a concerted dow from nearby AI. Played catch-up from then on. Got to the point, that the only thing I was interested in was staying alive.

Washington wins SV t183, seems to be a bit of a theme.

Need much more practice at high levels before there will be any real success. I did try a test game, basically same set up, but king level, Won relatively easily SV. Then realised that was not the targeted VC for real game, doh. Maybe I should have just gone for SV anyway.

Your name: vadalaz
Game date: 250BC
Turns played: 105
Base score: 910
Final score: 4333

Futurism and Hotels were enough, I ended up with some extra scientists that I never got to use. Should've just bulbed for Archaeology/Radio/Hotels earlier, or generated GEs instead or something. Culture leader was Napoleon with less than 7k culture in the end.

What tech path did you plan/follow for your VC choice?
Astronomy > Industrialization > Radio > Hotels > Plastics. SP-wise I went full Liberty -> Futurism + 2x spy stealing rate -> full Aesthetics -> Secularism -> Exploration opener (missed Louvre by 3 turns though)

Describe your military/conquest path if you had one.
Completely peaceful, not even a worker steal. The better play would be to pillage all the sea trade routes for tons of gold but I didn't bother.

Which strategic gambles paid off? Which ones didn't?
I'd say most things worked pretty well. Not sure if Tradition would've worked better here. I think it's unlikely in a short game like this.

In hindsight, how would you have played this differently? Entirely different VC? Different opening policies?
Would've gone for more aggressive bulbing, pillaging AI stuff, and better faith focus for another Great Person.

Describe the good and bad of playing later era starts.
Gold and happiness are annoying at first, but otherwise it's a pretty fun setup. Stealing techs was much more effective than on ancient era starts, I think I stole Navigation, Chemistry, Rifling and Electronics from Washington.

Game date: 600AD
Turns played: 140
Base score: 1376
Final score: 4914

I...don't...really... => this was confusing ;)
Went ST (but built schools veeeery late) and then Radio-ish to ideology in between Archeology and the Hotel tech, plastics, internet...point is it all felt very indecisive. The late era start put me really off-balance.

Spain DoW me early but I was able to fend off. Became friends after a while.
Due to bribing AI into attacking France (America, Germany and Sweden) and England (Spain in order to prevent a potential first DoW) these two became isolated.
I wanted a peacefull (ok, maybe bribe assisted) CV.
A the end I had to DoW France after gifting a city for short-cut-concert-tour as they didn't want to give me open borders any more.

Not a real strategy, somehow dig out a lot of artifacts, go hotels and whatever necessary to pump tourism. WC proposed WTF the +3culture/wonder thing, then international games (won on the victory turn - ha ha). Could not prevent embargo against France (argh).

hmmm...can't tell - I was only third to ideologies so I took freedom
I was able to establish a strong religion though.

VC was alright - mainly because lately I played the Mongols scenario and just didn't want to do conquest.
SP was tradition, asthetics, 6 in freedom, exploration....at some point I realised I omitted rationalism completely (like what!?!!?).
My science game felt unfocussed....well maybe my whole game, it felt like I somehow built everything terrible late because there were so many things to build - teching faster would have made that feeling probably even worse ;)

good: it's different
bad: it's different
;)

Spoiler :

Attachments

• tsg132.jpg
    tsg132.jpg
    492.5 KB · Views: 550
Futurism is definitely the winning strategy. Did a replay and won t105 (t290 as the game counts it).

Went full liberty, 2 free policies in autocracy, full aesthetics. Delayed all guilds until I had futurism, so all GW/GA/GM would generate the bonus.

Had only 52 tourism per turn when I won. Apart from GW/GA/GM I generated a couple of GEs as well.

Game date: 940AD
Turns played: 157
Base score: 3348
Final score: 10800
Time played: 6:32:00

I put the first four policies into Liberty as I was particularly keen to build another city.

I built one city by the coastal river, another near the CS and another near the Mesa.

I eventually felt strong enough to take down the AI, but it took ages as the AI had a tonne of units before I made my move.

Perhaps I could have made a move earlier, but an early dogpile would have caused me lots of problems.

:king:

Attachments

• The capital.jpg
    The capital.jpg
    494.4 KB · Views: 123
  • Washington falls.jpg
    Washington falls.jpg
    441.1 KB · Views: 108
Your name: InaneObserver
Game date: 400AD
Turns played: 131
Base score: 1041
Final score: 4003
Time played: 4:53:00

Went 4-city with one on faith mountain to purchase GWAMs later. I couldn't handle the growth rate and spent a bit too many turns in unhappiness to have a good finish time.

I think the main difference to others was social policies: 2 liberty (for fast workers) - 2 Patronage - 2 Ration - Aesthetics/Autocracy. The reasoning for the 2 in liberty was that with explosive growth having enough tiles was key, and it worked pretty well. The price you pay is that those liberty policies become dead weight in the late game.

Kept options open until t67, then decided to go for a peaceful CV. With Napoleon's culture growth aggression may have been faster.

Date submitted: 2016-04-30 16:51:22
Reference number: 34300
Your name: glory7
Game date: 325BC
Turns played: 102
Base score: 1342
Final score: 6710
Time played: 6:05:00
Submitted save: glory7_gotm132_t287_Dom.Civ5Save
Renamed file: glory7_C513201.Civ5Save

It was a new, fun experience. Renaissance start... first time.

Happiness was a big issue initially. I started with Liberty 3 cities and had to stay under unhappiness for several turns.

My initial build was workshop for all cities. With 2 salt forest cut near the cap, workshop was done fast in cap and I built 2 cargo ships for production boost.

AIs were so slow... could not steal any tech. Instead, I put mine on my cap and killed other spies, and sent lv3 spies to coup CS.

After astronomy, straight to dynamite, and who cares next. I could have reached dynamite a lot sooner...misclicked policy and couldn't get secularism on time. But one GS and oxford saved me.

forgot when I took spain.. after that, t263 Paris, t276 Berlin, t279 London, t285 Vienna, and t287 Washington and Stockholm.

I was surprised to see that most people chose CV, and reading "futurism" convinced me. I agree that it could be faster - I am willing to try it, but it would be a replay so I won't be able to summit it... (am I correct?)

I was surprised to see that most people chose CV, and reading "futurism" convinced me. I agree that it could be faster - I am willing to try it, but it would be a replay so I won't be able to summit it... (am I correct?)

Yes, you may not submit for results reasons but you are still welcome to talk about the CV playthrough anyway.

HR

Futurism is definitely the winning strategy. Did a replay and won t105 (t290 as the game counts it).

Went full liberty, 2 free policies in autocracy, full aesthetics. Delayed all guilds until I had futurism, so all GW/GA/GM would generate the bonus.

Had only 52 tourism per turn when I won. Apart from GW/GA/GM I generated a couple of GEs as well.

I started playing this one again last night. Full Tradition, Futurism, Aesthetics opener, Rationalism. Settled in place and on the west coast up by the CS and the faith mountain. Wasn't sure if I'd be able to buy the mountain before the CS grabbed it; I did, but they beat me to the oysters. That's okay, I got the oysters by allying them. Then another expo a little to the east of the first one on a hill near bananas, marble, and more salt.

Third expo came much later, down southwest by the dyes just so I could send a food ship to Kyoto. As soon as I settled it, England denounced me for expanding too aggressively. I immediately bribed Spain to declare war on England. They didn't fight much, but it kept both of them off my back. Soon after they peaced-out, England and Austria double-DoW'd me, but my military was somewhat built up by then and I had ally CS's between us. The CS's took most of hte punishment and I mainly just had to help defend them (with 2 infantries, artillery, and a zero. Didn't have oil yet for bombers) England got tired of fighting and offered me peace for all my luxes, gold, and 2 cities. I counter-offered white peace and she accepted. Austria offered the same sort of deal and I turned it down and fought a few more turns (for the experience) then offered a peace treaty. I wasn't going to be able to take down her 100+ strength cities with the units I had. I could safely attack them, but didn't do enough damage. The 2 or 3 extra turns fighting Austria means the peace treaties won't expire at the same time, maybe that will deter England from attacking me again.

The only wonders I've built have been Prora, Eiffel Tower, and Sydney. I used my first (and only but it came early) great engineer for a manufactory at Kyoto.

Not sure if I'm going to win this but it will be close. About 150 turns in, George Washington is building the space ship. I have researched Internet but I probably should have beelined it a little straighter w/o taking a detour for Ballistics and Radar. OTOH, if I'd done that I might be dead. I'm influential over England, and popular with everyone else, but just barely popular with France. And I've gotten so many GA/GW/GM's they are coming few and far between now. I will probably have to use Cult of Personality to overtake France; or else kill them. Or get someone else to kill them. Napoleon also picked Autocracy, but I don't know if he's doing the Futurism thing too or not. I should give him open borders; it doesn't matter if he gains influence over me.

Next WC vote, both science funding and art funding are up. If science funding passes and arts funding doesn't I don't think I can win. Maybe National Visitor Center will put me over the top with what I have, but I really need more artsy people.

My biggest mistakes were taking Elite Forces (d'oh! I forgot I'm Japan), and not building temples and a Grand Temple. I did found a religion easily enough but am not getting enough faith to buy any great people. I wonder if Piety might have been a strong opener here?

One thing I like about the Ren start is the game goes so fast.

I finally won this one; culture victory in 160 turns. I gave up on several other attempts even if I was doing well if I was falling behind (like the Piety start) Three city Liberty :D I intended to settle another city or two on the west coast, but France plopped a city right between the two spots I wanted -- one was still settleable (the one with oil and fish) but not needed. The main thing was I had 3 cities up already on about turn 4, right before I met Spain and England. That French city was actually very handy; I played about 4 concerts there.

Started building crossbows immediately in all 3 cities, intending to wipe out Spain early, but her 2 Piety cities still outproduced my 3 Liberty cities. (not sure how that works) But my military was large enough that she and Elizabeth didn't immediately turn hostile.

Full Liberty (great scientist), Rationalism opener, Aesthetics opener, Autocracy (Futurism and UH), finished filling Aesthetics and Rationalism, then 4 more in Autocracy. I took Telecom for my free tech from Rationalism.

My pantheon was God-King. When I got my great prophet, I made a holy site instead of founding a religion. Eventually Isabella converted all my cities, and that made her happy. We were friends the whole game. Any game where I founded a religion, it seems that she hated me for it even tho' that doesn't show up in the diplomacy screen.

The only war I was in the entire game was a cold war with Sweden, just to get the Cult of Personality bonus against France. Even with that and open borders and trade routes and a diplomat and every other possible modifier, it still took over 20 turns and a bunch of concerts to get from 90% influence to 100%. My tourism was pretty high, but his culture way up there and growing fast. I was I was influential or dominant over everybody else long before that. Washington was 1 part away from finishing the space ship.

I wish I'd gotten a chance to propose Arts Funding. It also would have helped if I hadn't been beaten to LToP by 2 turns.

Exact same play with Tradition might have been faster, I don't know. I think the workers bonus was important. Also I would not have been able to build those starting crossbows fast enough.

They were all afraid of me when I built an A-bomb, even tho' my military was still 1/3 the size of theirs (but growing fast) and they had nukes too. Everyone completed the Manhattan Project, and at some point prior America nuked Germany.

It was fun and only took a few hours.

glad you are enjoying these older gotms, zxcvbob. keep sharing your results, i'm enjoying them.

I probably should have built temples. I had enough faith just from shrines, holy site, holy mountain, and a little from city states for a Great Writer and a Great Musician with some left over. Temples might have put me over the top for an Artist. Or I could have posted my 3rd spy in a religious CS instead of wherever he was. (1st spy was in a cultural CS, 2nd spy was in Kyoto)

Playing the same games over and over really helps me improve my play. Thanks for doing these.

Top Bottom