TSG141 After Action Report

Knowtalent

Emperor
GOTM Staff
Welcome to the TSG141 After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please use the Civ5 game submission page to submit your final, first play through, .Civ5Save file, saved AFTER the victory ceremony if you were not conquered (using the "Lemme play one more turn" feature.).

- Did you use your UU?
- How useful was your UA?
- Did you use spying to your advantage?
- Did the map type help or hinder victory and how?
- How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions?
- Was Faith helpful to achieve victory?
- What Social Policies did you choose and in what order? Which Ideology did you choose?
- What techs did you prioritize ?

Game: Civ5 GOTM 141
Date submitted: 2016-08-16 06:54:23
Reference number: 34735
Your name: poxpower
Game status: Culture Victory
Game date: 1545AD
Turns played: 219
Base score: 911
Final score: 2118
Time played: 2:59:00
Submitted save: gotm_141_poxpower.Civ5Save
Renamed file: poxpower_C514101.Civ5Save

Biggest discoveristake of the game: Spreading religion to AI who has religion to get the tourism bonus is actually very detrimental because he then proceeds to denounce you and never give you open borders, which gives the same multiplier as shared religion.

Quite a pointless mechanic IMO if the AI will just never allow you to have both.

Then of course the AI will just spread his religion back to his cities eventually and you will have accomplished nothing but losing open borders forever. So had I not done that I would have won probably 10 turns faster.

My plan for this game was just to chill and OCC it. There was not really any good city spots to settle anyway, quite garbage lands, even the capital was somewhat sad. The entire map was a MadMax hellscape of barbarian fury basically up until turn 150-160+ as the AI couldn't clear a damn thing. I didn't get workers early because they are entirely pointless on Prince if you are doing some kind of hilarious rushing tactic like I did.
All workers will do is stay inside your city as 5-6 barbs gather around you like vultures and pillages everything. You need 2-3 comp bows to stave them off and protect workers and I chose to just send my pathfinders all over the map to meet every AI ASAP and to steal as many ruins as possible. SUCCESS. Also of course get to clear a bunch of free targeted camps with random workers.

All in all I think just ONE city would have been even better. The second one did basically nothing. If it had been coastal it might have been 1% better. I dunno.

I never played culture game on this difficulty before without sacred sites so it was interesting. My science was absolute trash the entire game. I think a better strategy would have been to oxford hotels instead of getting scientific theory / electricity / radio. I might try OCC with that strategy later just to see :p

Play by play:
Spoiler :
T0- Move scout down, see 2 more wheat. Cap is coastal. That's crap, I want FULL PETRA. I move settle down near the wheat.
T1- Move scout down, see truffles, more wheat. I decide to settle cap off river to get the extra wheat and desert hills. Only as shoshone could you ever settle this city otherwise I'd stay with only basic flood plain. Gross. The flatland settle is a bummer but at least it gets rid of a useless flat desert tile I guess.. Production set to pathfinder. The plan: Make only pathfinders up to great library.
t6- see a ruin, pop it for culture, open tradition.
t8- met spain
t12-city grows to 3, pop a ruin to 4. 1st pathfinder done, make another one.
t15-adopt aristocracy policy. pop ruin to get a composite bow.
t18-discover uluru. hmm
t20- pop ruin for faith.
t21- adopt desert folklore. cap now at 5.
t22- pop a ruin, cap now at 6. pathfinder done. start great library.
t24- pop a ruin for 95 gold. Buy two more hills to speed up library... eta turn 43. Slow.. The map is overrun by barbs already lol.
t26- meet maria
t33- meet pacal
t38-met patchuti
t39- met england
t43- great library done, start worker
t45- el dorado discovered
t46- get ruin to upgrade another pathfinder to composite bow
t50- religion - tithe + religious community. met hiwata
t52- adopt legalism. meet aztecs
t55- clear camp to get a worker
t58- buy archer in capital. these barbs are getting way out of hand.
t60 - start petra
t75-meet napoleon
t79-petra done
t80- dow spain to steal worker. Lol she's culture leader, that'll teach you.
t88- settler done. I think I will just make one this game.
t89-peace with isabella, sell her truffles for 220 leaving her at 0 gold and -4 gpt. that ought to slow her down a little haha. finished NC, start hanging gardens.
t93-found te-moak, the world's crappiest city, to work uluru. I immediately send my petra caravan to it. First trade route lol.
t94-enhance religion - religious art + reliquary
t96- buy granary in temoak
t97-hg done, start parthenon
t104-finish tradition. the entire map is a hellish landscape of barbarian death.
t105- parthenon done, start oracle
t106-buy missionary
t107- lost oracle to someone somehow lol. Even on Deity that would be weird, but sometimes the oracle just goes and sometimes no one makes it. Switch to mausoleum
t108- elizabeth makes mausoleum.. ok switch to writer's guild
t110-guild done, make amphitheatre. Aztecs are culture leader so I buy open borders from them.
t112- spread religion to lisbon. Why not.
t113- aztecs want to war iroquoi. SURE LET'S DO THIS BRO.
t114- amphitheatre done, start market
t116-buy another missionary. Goal: Get my religion to aztecs.
t117-clear a camp and give worker back to milan
t118-find a ruin, get sailing for free. whatever. t-moak finished 1st building, a library. start amphitheater lol. what a garbage city. market done, start caravan.
t121-caravan done. Adopt aesthatics. start national epic
t122- buy university in capital
t124-clear camp for sofia
t125-finish epic, start borobudur I guess. Might be useful. missionary captured by barbs. Of course. I radared everywhere so that means he spawned and then took it same turn. BS mechanic as always.
t133- borobudur done, send missionaries to aztec..again... stupid-ass barbs. Probably won't won't work in the end. Start sistine.
t136- adopt fine arts
t137- convert madrid to my religion
t140-pause production for workshops
-- both cities demand whales, a ressource not yet worked on the map. lol at least acken fixed that in his mod
t145-great prophet born. Time to go convert some big cities bro.
t146-buy/trade open borders to everyone I have met so far. Only 6 tourism generated but it counts :p
t147- religion spread to montezuma.
t148-sistine done, start artist guild
t149-inca stole education. time to move to couterspy finally!
t152-adopt cultural centers
t153-artist guild done, start ironworks
t156-ironworks done, start alhambra
t162-alhambra done, start opera house for 1 turn
t163-start leaning tower. Wow my science is garbage this game I am doing horribly lol.
t164- first proposal. I propose world religion of course. let the anger flow. Also converted maya city, he's gonna be mad.
t165- adopt rationalism
t166 maya denounces me ( from being my friend so he backstabbed me cause I spread to his cap haha. HOW DO YOU LIKE IT STUPID AI, YOU DO THIS EVERY GAME.
t171- leaning tower done ( on deity at this stage you're already picking ideology.. wow...) engineer picked, Globe Theater rushed.
t172-globe done, finish opera house
t173-opera house done, make caravan
t174-caravan done, make musician guild for 2 turns
t175-convert other maya city, now have the tourism bonus to them. same for lisbon. Now she says I'm bloodthristy lol.
t176-adopt seculiarism, start hermitage
t177- now maya refuses open borders. Guess that's what you get for spreading religion. That's kind of stupid game design lol, the AI just negates the religion bonus by denying open borders out of anger.
t179-hermitage done
t180-musician guild done, start uffizi
t185-adopt flourishing of the arts, buy caravan
t187- coup in kiev success yay
t189-uffizi complete. pop 1 turn into oxford. INFLUENCIAL OVER IROQUOI
t190- milan coup success. start public school
t191 adopt cultural exchange
t192- samarkand coup success. I had made a settler to give a crappy city to maya so I can send trade route, but I now see he just spammed a crap city near me anyway! thanks
t194- hanoi coup success
t195- world religion passes ( da:) :) :) :):) :) :) :):) :) :) :):) :) :) :) ) ok thanks. I propose world fair so the AI likes me more.
t196- public school done. make stone works. I dunno.
t197-valetta coup success. finish aestathics, theme hermitage and other stuff. 67 turns to kill maya. Time to give a crap city to france to trade with it too. buy settler in cap.make shrine
t198- settle crappy city, sell to france, send route to them. shaves 10 turns off their natural culture death. Nice, nice.
t200- barbs pillage trade route to inca. seriously get your act together you garbage AI. turn 200 barbs? buy great engineer in cap to rush eiffel with radio next turn
t201- rush eiffel in cap.
t202 eiffel done, adopt freedom, not that it matters. I give a crappy city to the maya to insure a safe trade route. I will be influencial with most others in about 15 turns. Make broadway in cap.
t205- adopt +4 yield thing from freedom
t206-INFLUENCIAL WITH ENGLAND
t207- INFLUENCIAL WITH SPAIN. Buy musician in cap.
t208-INFLUENCIAL WITH PORTUGAL
t214- finish broadway. I believe it would have been enough without it though.
t216- Dow maya, convert him once. He had bought a stupid-ass composite bow and it was randomly on a tile I wanted to music bomb. Great, one turn delay.
t217- music bomb maya again. 2 turns to get inca now.. damn it.
t218- bomb inca
t219- victory

Spoiler :

As suspected, just one city, playing slightly better, shaved 9 turns off.
Hilariously enough France raze a gifted city twice. I have no idea why, he just didn't want to keep it so I could send him a trade route.
okay time to sleep now...
Spoiler :

T171 Culture Victory

Game date: 1110AD
Turns played: 171
Base score: 830
Final score: 2441
Time played: 4:05

Initially was going to play safe and get to Ideology via Radio, which gives you time to pre-build GP spawning wonders but T141 I was still at Banking and decided to all-in towards Industrialization (Major mistake #1: Forgot & let Prophet spawn turn before Industrial). I also haven't met the last two Civs at that point, and to my surprise {ofc} we have Honor Monti with Sacred Path. Having the hammer heavy / Petra expand, I was lucky to build Factory in time and get close to 1T Globe Theatre.

I build Wguild in Cap super early and sold prior to spawn to speed early culture. I also timed my Aguild in food expand which I had to sell since the bloody policy modifiers are rounded down so it would show 10 turns to spawn and 8 turns the consequent turn. It's super annoying and scary as you can accidentally spawn a GP before Futurism. In fact my Artist did spawn early on second re-build 1 turn early, delaying the Cap's GM and GW. Timed last policy to hit 1 turn after initial wave of GPs spawned, had to DoW a Culture civ to align the timings.

Would've won <170 if I either abused the city gifting way earlier for trade route, or perhaps with additional faith purchase I lost. Monti's city gift was turn before use of GMs.

Other notes: 2 Scientists from Cap bulbed towards Industrial, GE generating wonders prioritized in Petra city so was able to spawn GE to rush Uffizi faster than HB. I couldn't justify Petra in Cap, it just wasn't strong enough.

PS I wonder if EUI mod shows decimal breakdowns of GP spawns?

Demos:
Spoiler :

GOTM_141_1.jpg

GOTM_141_2.jpg

GOTM_141_3.jpg

It was a cake walk the entire time, but man, I just am terrible at optimization strategy. I finished around the same time I always finish, at turn 357. Lame. I'm hearing lot's of people talk about OCC, but I never would have considered that for Shoshone. Is it because a liberty culture game only works with sacred sites?

Date submitted: 2016-08-17 19:30:58
Reference number: 34745
Your name: pahakuutti
Game date: 1710AD
Turns played: 252
Base score: 1263
Final score: 2526

- Did you use your UU?

Pathfinders are awesome. Founded religion at T37.

Very useful w/ liberty. I think I purchased 1 tile.

Would have if had bought GPs earlier. Just waited to get hotels and stuff up running. Ended up having 4k FPs in reserve + 2 unused GMs on route. Didn't really pay attention on how close cv was.

- What Social Policies did you choose and in what order? Which Ideology did you choose?

Tradition to Aristocracy. After that full liberty following full aesthics.

Spoiler :

Attachments

• gotm141.jpg
    gotm141.jpg
    319 KB · Views: 761
Date submitted: 2016-08-17 22:27:07
Reference number: 34747
Your name: Absoleus
Game date: 1878AD
Turns played: 309
Base score: 1344
Final score: 2203
Time played: 5:21:00
Submitted save: Absoleus GOTM141.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Absoleus_C514101.Civ5Save

I found France only very late and was able to establish a trade route even later (they were faaar). Not used to culture victory. And not used to time optimization either :D

Culture Victory, 1929AD (T349), 2143 (base score, 3105 adjusted).

I am so humbled that people can finish these games in half as many turns as it takes me! I did not use GMu bombs.

I themed my many slots, and still ended with 40+ turns of GA at the end.

Did you use your UU?
Yes, the Pathfinder is terrific. My favorite UU maybe. Got the first tree unlocked at T005. Got the first pantheon on T021. Well timed pop growth and tech in between those two.

How useful was your UA?
Great! I feel compelled to run Liberty with it. But Prince let me get full Tradition too. So my borders started sprawling and grew from there. Great fun! I think I purchased maybe four tiles in total.

Did you use spying to your advantage?
Well, I did not steal any tech of course. And one single turn my level 2 spy let 3 techs go. But mostly they leveled up fast. That was T293, and one of the techs stolen was Metal Casting!

Did the map type help or hinder victory and how?
Too big, so definitely a hinderance. I did not find Monty until T220.

How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions?
It meant I could play like a newb. It was actually quite fun!

Was Faith helpful to achieve victory?
For sure. I faith purchased 2xGE, GS, GA, GW.

What Social Policies did you choose and in what order? Which Ideology did you choose?
Three in Liberty, Full Tradition, 1 in Aesthetics, finish out Liberty (for a GE), open Rationalism, more in Aesthetics, 3 in Freedom, finish out Aesthetics, Freedom (ended with 9).

What techs did you prioritize?
Writing (since I never get Great Library), Mathematics then Currency (since both Hanging Gardens and Petra are so rare for me).

Tried it again as a tradition OCC, and that took almost 40 turns off my victory time. In neither of my games did I get Parthenon, and I'm wondering if that's a big reason why my times seem so late for Prince.

Date submitted: 2016-08-18 16:59:24
Reference number: 34753
Your name: IDontFinkSo
Game date: 1844AD
Turns played: 292
Base score: 1643
Final score: 2832
Time played: 8:40:00

- Did you use your UU?
Of course. The pathfinder is awesome. Helped me find the other civs.
Quite useful. Saved money on tiles, defining my borders to Spain.
Send out two diplomats as soon as I had them to the culture-leaders.
Pangea helped it, could find every civ quite early.
Since there was no pressure, I durdle around a lot.
Yes. I bought a couple of GA, GW and GM.
Tradition, 2 points in piety, full asthetics, opening rationalism, opening exploration for louvre. I choose Freedom, but maybe autocracy with futurism would have been a better choice.
Nothing special, oxford into radio, then I teched to hotels.

Tried it again as a tradition OCC, and that took almost 40 turns off my victory time. In neither of my games did I get Parthenon, and I'm wondering if that's a big reason why my times seem so late for Prince.

Well with OCC I finished almost 100 turns faster than you did, so definitely parthenon is not the reason, you are doing many things suboptimally if it takes you this long.

Here's important things to do for culture:

1- Get open borders as soon as you can with every civ.

2- Send trade routes to the highest culture civ first. Always keep trade route.

3- Found a strong religion and spread it everywhere. This is easy on Prince. It was my number 1 early game priority. Make great mosque + borobudur and spread it to every AI. Doing this early converts so many of their citizens that even when they found their own religion, you get the shared religion tourism modifier anyway.

4- Identify the culture runaway(s) as early as possible and decide if you can remove them through warfare or if you will just gift them a crap city so you can send trade routes to it. Very often the culture leader will be out of range of your trade routes so doing this early gives you 25% tourim to them and shaves incredible amounts of turns off.

5- Save musician guild for later ( at least on OCC ). Musicians are crap because they only go in the opera house then the others are wasted. This increases your great people cost for your other better ones.

6- Steal the cultured city-states from the leading culture AI if at all possible.

7-Propose world religion as soon as you can. If you spread your religion enough, the other AI will vote for it to pass decently often. Basically all the AI who share your religion will vote for it, the AI who don't will split their vote against that and for/against some other random proposition

8-Never allow World Fair if you do OCC. You should win before that anyway. On Prince you might actually be able to win the world fair with just one city though lol.

9-Wonder priorities: Parthenon, Oracle, Borobudur, Writer's Guild, Ironworks, ALhambra, Leaning Tower, Sistine, Eiffel Tower / Louvre

On prince I believe it's best to just ignore public schools and tech straight for archaology and then hotels. I don't think I got to hotels in any of my games but whatever.

Then lastly you want to great musician bomb civs as fast as possible so that involves gifting them a city. Much faster to do that than to walk 20 turns across the map obviously.

Game date: 1840AD
Turns played: 290
Base score: 1376
Final score: 2372

Quite a change from the Immortal CV GOTM 140! No war, no expansion, I get all the wonders...but forgot to press my advantages!

- Did you use your UU?
Wow, pathfinder pick-a-goody seems overpowered for the start: culture, religion, techs, composite bow upgrade...

Almost no need for tile buys except maybe once or twice I wanted a hill.
Founded te-moak south on the hill by silk; city 3 on the floodplains to the west.
Not used to building workers-- eventually rescued several.
Founded first pantheon (desert folklore, natch) and religion (tithe/cathedrals).
Settled cities 4 and 5 (Gibraltar+coastal and Uluru) around T130. I never settle 5 cities..
Turn 148: England still has not settled El Dorado... lack of expansion in everyone...

Pretty odd to see everyone so...quiet. Hard to encourage wars (even Monty: he'll attack France for exactly 10 turns, then make peace...). Inca went full Honor but after the first time I can't get him to attack anyone. So....much..open...space!

Not really. Should probably have switched to diplomats (that only helps after ideologies?? Mine or theirs? No one made it to ideologies in this game but me)

Took forever to find everyone. Almost 200 turns before I found the Iroquois. So many island cultural CS!!! (and since I am the only one with astronomy, I'm the only one that knows they exist...)

I did not think of the city gifting idea. That would have helped... took forever to open trade with France...

Too many wonders that I never ever get :)

I probably should have won 30 (or more??) turns earlier: totally forgot to check how close CV was; really only needed hotels. Had 6000 faith unspent on GMs and 4 unbulbed GSs. Not used to this level!

Somewhat; I took cathedrals and hermitage buff. England had sacred sites so I let her convert a few of my cities, but Spain kept changing them back to her religion! Had Cathedrals, Mosques, and Pagodas :) Had shared faith with Portugal and several CS until England and Spain began the faith wars, by that time I just ignored it (I was swimming in money even w/o Tithe...

Tradition, left Patronage, Asthetics, open explore, Rational->Secularism, Freedom

Typical order: Education, Printing Press, Architechture, Scientific Theory, Archeology, Radio, Refridge. As I said, should have realized I needed much LESS science and bulbed earlier and used my faith GMs on Maya (the last to fall)

Reloaded from Crash Turn 211, 249, 275.

Spoiler :
Well with OCC I finished almost 100 turns faster than you did, so definitely parthenon is not the reason, you are doing many things suboptimally if it takes you this long.

Here's important things to do for culture:

1- Get open borders as soon as you can with every civ.

2- Send trade routes to the highest culture civ first. Always keep trade route.

3- Found a strong religion and spread it everywhere. This is easy on Prince. It was my number 1 early game priority. Make great mosque + borobudur and spread it to every AI. Doing this early converts so many of their citizens that even when they found their own religion, you get the shared religion tourism modifier anyway.

4- Identify the culture runaway(s) as early as possible and decide if you can remove them through warfare or if you will just gift them a crap city so you can send trade routes to it. Very often the culture leader will be out of range of your trade routes so doing this early gives you 25% tourim to them and shaves incredible amounts of turns off.

5- Save musician guild for later ( at least on OCC ). Musicians are crap because they only go in the opera house then the others are wasted. This increases your great people cost for your other better ones.

6- Steal the cultured city-states from the leading culture AI if at all possible.

7-Propose world religion as soon as you can. If you spread your religion enough, the other AI will vote for it to pass decently often. Basically all the AI who share your religion will vote for it, the AI who don't will split their vote against that and for/against some other random proposition

8-Never allow World Fair if you do OCC. You should win before that anyway. On Prince you might actually be able to win the world fair with just one city though lol.

9-Wonder priorities: Parthenon, Oracle, Borobudur, Writer's Guild, Ironworks, ALhambra, Leaning Tower, Sistine, Eiffel Tower / Louvre

On prince I believe it's best to just ignore public schools and tech straight for archaology and then hotels. I don't think I got to hotels in any of my games but whatever.

Then lastly you want to great musician bomb civs as fast as possible so that involves gifting them a city. Much faster to do that than to walk 20 turns across the map obviously.

Appreciate the input. As far as trade routes go, the only civilization in reach from the beginning was Portugal, and Spain opened up after a caravansary. Am I supposed to gift 5 cities to the remaining civs just for trade routes?

For religion, I suppose I've kind of removed mass religion spreading from my strategy (I'm used to Emperor difficulty) because of the negative diplo and because the AI is way better at it. As someone else mentioned, getting the tourism modifier for shared religion is cancelled out by losing the open border modifier. Also the faith cost is immense and the AI is always doggedly spreading its own religion and converting back its own cities. Perhaps on Prince this is less of a problem?

I've encountered the same problem with proposing World Religion (negative diplo and unwillingness to pass the proposal). I guess my main problem can be traced back to under utilizing the religion aspect. You make it sound easy... is there a religion spreading guide on the forums you can recommend?

Appreciate the input. As far as trade routes go, the only civilization in reach from the beginning was Portugal, and Spain opened up after a caravansary. Am I supposed to gift 5 cities to the remaining civs just for trade routes?

For religion, I suppose I've kind of removed mass religion spreading from my strategy (I'm used to Emperor difficulty) because of the negative diplo and because the AI is way better at it. As someone else mentioned, getting the tourism modifier for shared religion is cancelled out by losing the open border modifier. You make it sound easy... is there a religion spreading guide on the forums you can recommend?

You usually don't need to have a trade route with every AI. About midgame you should see one or two AI clearly pulling ahead, those are the ones you need to consider gifting cities to.
Don't give it to them too early because founding a new city increases your science/policy cost and your early tourism is so low that it doesn't matter anyway that you get a bonus.

It also has the benefit of spreading your religion to that one city really fast and it makes a few more of their citizens follow your religion. Make sure the city is close to yours and on the crappiest land possible so they get nothing out of it.

In one of my games though Napoleon kept razing my gifted city. I have no idea why, that usually doesn't happen.

======

Now the trick to spreading religion for this is to
1- get your enhanced religion ASAP and take a spreading tenent like spreads faster or further. Don't know which is best, but basically every city that is converted exerts 6 pressure on all the cities in range. So if you convert 3 cities that are near 3 other cities, that's 18 pressure to all 3 of those unconverted cities.
So this early enough and your religion will spread like wildfire.

2- Get borobudur. Tech for theology and build that right away, you will get 3 free missionaries who can travel rapidly all over the map and spread your cancer religion everywhere. Target 5-6 pop cities as missionaries can convert 5 citizens I think? Something like that. Converting a 1 pop city is a waste.

3- Spread your religion to the leading / faith AI first. Often the AI with the highest score will be most likely to found his religion sooner, so go convert to him before he gets one and you will never get a negative modifier with them for converting their cities.

4-Once a civ founds a religion, stop converting their cities. Just rely on the pressure from all your early conversions to keep their citizens converted to your faith. They will have one city that gives them like 12 pressure or whatever whereas you will have converted 4-5 cities all around them that give them way stronger pressure, so it will be hard and slow for them to get rid of your religion.

If you do this fast and well enough, they will vote for your world religion in congress. Some will be angry, but it's not so big a modifier that they will stop open borders to you, whereas converting their capital with a great prophet makes them instantly denounce you and basically hate you to the max level until the rest of the game. That's pretty hilarious, it's a worse modifier than eliminating like 3 other civs lol.

T171 Culture Victory
Game date: 1110AD
Turns played: 171
Base score: 830
Final score: 2441
Time played: 4:05

This just blows me away. I can't fathom how you did this. Wish there was a video or something; I'm such a noob!

Date submitted: 2016-08-19 22:18:21
Reference number: 34759
Your name: KingDante
Game date: 1660AD
Turns played: 242
Base score: 1755
Final score: 3656
Time played: 7:19:00
Submitted save: TSG141_VictoryTurn.Civ5Save
Renamed file: KingDante_C514101.Civ5Save

Will update response later with commentary.

Probably won't do much more than be competitive for Top Score medalist. I'm really frustrated with my performance on this one. Butchered things. I would have been much better ending the game by not attacking France. Screwed up my open borders. Would have been a cakewalk if I didn't do that. Instead, ended the game owning 4 capitals.

So, I decided to go the futurism route on this game. Oxford Radio, that sort of thing. I found France Turn 186, and hit Radio Turn 187. Opened Autocracy Turn 188 for futurism. It took much longer than I expected. Maya and France had both had a ton of time to build up culture. Maya was a runnaway culture civ in mine, so I decided to destroy him. I succeeded in that on turn 219. However, France was too far. My military proceeded to wipe multiple players off the map while my tourism caught up to France. I made the mistake of not gifting France a city, and trading to it and then tourism bombing it. I could have probably won under T225 if I did that France only, and sub T200 if I had done it to both Maya and France.

Not an optimized play through but I was testing out a Great Library rush, so I'm happy with it. I think my score will be competitive, even though my turn time was not.

Your name: zxcvbob
Game date: 1890AD
Turns played: 315
Base score: 1352
Final score: 2146
Time played: 5:50:00

- Did you use your UU?
I used the heck out of pathfinders. Never built any horse units (I had horses, but I sold them)

The great expanse is awesome. Plop down a city and claim half the map.

A little. I had a spy on defense in my capital, and when he leveled up all the way I put him in a cultural CS and replaced with a junior spy.

Not sure. It took forever to find the last 3 AI's (especially France) but I was influential over them long before I overtook the Inca and Maya (whom I met pretty early.) So I didn't have to do that sell-a-city-to-France thing. I could reach France with a cargo ship from my city up by Gibraltar.

I went for wonders that I usually don't, like Great Library.

Yes, but not as much as I thought it would be. I didn't really need the extra art slots from the cathedrals, and I only bought 1 writer and 1 great musician. (I was going to buy 2 or 3 of each, but I got natural ones just in time) I may have bought a engineer too, but I don't think so.

Tradition opener, Honor opener, then filled Tradition, Aesthetics, and Rationalism, (Exploration opener mixed in there somewhere) Freedom(6), then I started on Commerce and was 1 policy away from finishing it.

Currency, Acoustics, Printing Press, Astronomy, and Refrigeration.

Originally I planned to kill Portugal and annex Lisbon for my trade hub. Never got around to it. Then I thought I would need to wipe out Spain (after she sent a prophet to biggest expo and refused to stop) and sell Madrid to Napoleon for open borders, but I could reach one of his cities with a cargo ship and he traded open borders with me for 2 GPT. I didn't need to send any musicians to France, I just needed to guard my long trade routes to France, Iroquois, and Aztecs, and one submarine could handle that.

I have no idea how anyone got a sub-200 win on this one. I think my biggest mistake was bringing most of my bowfinders home for defense instead of keeping them out exploring, OTOH, I don't think any of them could have reached the western half of the landmass before Astronomy. England had that land bridge cut off and she and the Inca wouldn't give me open borders until much later in the game. Eventually (just before Astronomy) I managed to get a pathfinder up and around the Inca in coastal water and CS territory to get to the far northwest corner and he explored south. He reached France about the same time my caravel did.

The last 50 or more turns were mostly just click-click-click waiting for my tourism to overwhelm the Inca and Maya, and trading great works to max out all the theming bonuses. I was friendly with everybody except Spain (neutral w/ Spain), but did not accept many DoF's because some of the AI's hated each other and I didn't want to step in a "friend of my enemy" mess.

I have no idea how anyone got a sub-200 win on this one.

I almost got it with just OCC.
The real trick is to tech and scout faster, really. The sooner you get to artist / writer / musician guild, the fast you wreck the AI with tourism.

Borobudur is excellent for this because the 3 missionaries cover a large amount of land very fast and they convert 15 cities very early on and that will snowball into converting the entire map before any AI even founds a religion.

This then lets you get open borders with everyone right away and for the entire game, and it gets you the shared religion bonus as soon as possible. That's +40% right there that you get from fast scouting / borobudur.

If you combine that with super early parthenon / writer's guild, it basically makes it so you start to tourism the AI as fast as they generate culture almost from the start of the game, whereas if you wait too long it takes a while for your tourism to catch up to their culture and a while further to compensate for all that culture they made while you had 0 tourism.

You also obviously made a mistake of going into honor and waring the AI. That set you back immensely from where you'd be if all you did was sit in your corner teching and wonder-spamming :p

The only time I war the AI when doing culture is when there's like one guy with twice as much culture as the next, then you just zero in on him and kill him and bribe everyone to team him the entire game. That's usually 30 turns faster than waiting to get enough GM bombs to deal with him. Plus it lets you GM bomb the next guy, which makes you win even faster.

I know I didn't scout fast enough, but the AI's I had the most trouble overtaking were a couple of the close ones. I didn't expect that; that's why I didn't built the Parthenon. I did build my guilds quickly and started working them right from the start to get some tourism early. Also I was waiting for the International Games before buying musicians, but the IG's never happened, and my tourism was high enough I didn't need it doubled (160-something at the end)

I also might should have done more research agreements, to tech to Education, Astronomy, and Refrigeration faster.

I never did goto war with anybody (I thought about it.) I opened Honor to deal with barbarians. I did focus on barbs too much; that's what slowed down my scouting once I had the eastern half pretty well scouted.

I had converted half the world to my religion early, but then several AI's founded religions and made it their mission to stamp out mine. They burned up a *lot* of faith doing that. (a sad note, I converted all of Portugal's cities before they got a pantheon. Faith from my religion is probably what got them a pantheon, then adopting a pantheon purged my religion from all their cities, just like inquisitors or a prophet would)

I may try it again, building a few archers so my pathfinders can keep scouting w/o stopping to fight. I also should have put an expo by Gibraltar a lot sooner than I did.

Top Bottom