1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

TSG152 Opening Actions

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Game Of The Month' started by Hammer Rabbi, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Hammer Rabbi

Hammer Rabbi Chieftain GOTM Staff

Welcome to the TSG152 Opening Actions thread.

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.

This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing through your first 100 turns. Apart from normal decency, the only posting restrictions are to please not post videos until the deadline is finished and to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through the first 100 turns. Anything after that should be posted in the After Actions thread once you have completed your game.

- Considering Quick Speed, did you choose a VC strategy before starting?
    - What was your opening building/tech/policy choices?
    - Describe your scouting. What neighbors have you met?
    - How many cities did you settle and where/when?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

2. beetle

beetle Chieftain

Yikes, I won’t be submitting this one. Lost a city to the northern neighbor, and resigned. (EDIT: Turn 60, so pretty fast!) Took me three more reloads before I could figure out how to manage him eventually to win by peaceful CV.

I enjoyed it, thanks!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  3. Hammer Rabbi

ouch, thanks for posting about it though. tenacious grudge games can be satisfying.

4. Kendon

Kendon Chieftain

"beetle: I won’t be submitting this one. Lost a city to the northern neighbor, and resigned. (EDIT: Turn 60, so pretty fast![)"

I made it to turn 75 before being rubbed out by Alexander. As a domination strategy I was fighting Japan who settled on my northern border when my eastern worker noticed the Greek army approaching. Alexander's unique units are designed for ancient attack so I'd been watching him, but to have any chance at all I knew I had to keep Japan from settling all the good spots. The fight against Japan was going well but against Alexander I didn't have a chance.

My capitol fell on turn 72. My southern port city was lost at the start of turn 76. I saved turn 75 in case submitting a defeat might be useful. After all, I was successful in making it past turn 60 though, to be fair, I didn't just lose a city. I was obliterated.

I replayed three times from turn 50: first continuing to attack Japan, then briefly attacking Japan before marching toward Greece and lastly moving my composite bows and spearmen toward Greece immediately. In all three cases the Greek army marched on my capitol and took it so, as far as I can tell, by turn 50 I'd already lost.

Even though I'm out of my depth on Immortal I like to give it a try. The maps always have surprises, good and bad. Win or lose it's never boring.

5. Hammer Rabbi

dang, didn't expect two early busts. one thing you can attempt to practice for these things are bribing opponents to fight each other. it can help stave off until their UUs arent so powerful. sometimes it's all about era timing. thanks again for giving it a shot.

6. Kendon

Kendon Chieftain

"Hammer Rabbi: "... one thing you can attempt to practice for these things are bribing opponents to fight each other."

I played again from the start looking for an AI to attack Alexander. What finally worked was that Oda asked to befriend me, though it took him several turns to calm down after after I'd settled near him. I saw the Greek army two turns away from my border.

I asked Oda what he wanted to declare war on Alexander and basically he asked me for everything I had (I think he left me one iron) but when he DoWed Alexander the Greek army immediately turned north. I lived to fight another day and I learned something new.

I'm now at turn 97. Oda has denounced me and Ethiopia has warned me the Greeks are readying another attack on me. I don't have much to bargain with but at least I know know what can work.

Maybe I can bribe Greece to attack Japan.

7. Hammer Rabbi

glad to see you trying it out, Kendon. like any other mechanic it can be strategically considered. it can be difficult to get them to participate in the DoW if it means crossing your lands to get there too. consider who they were already denounced by or who might be weak or vulnerable near them. also, beelining Theocracy for their strong UA might not be the best with aggressive neighbors. Immo and Deity are often bargains against conventional playstyle at Emperor and under. i love it when a bribe works. its just to give you time to build a stronger empire. glad to see it worked out a little bit. good luck!

8. zxcvbob

zxcvbob Chieftain

I started this game a couple of days after it came out. Made it to turn 170 or so, and Greece backstabbed me. I don't remember a lot of details (been playing Civ6 Aztecs all week) but he is *way* ahead in tech and has GW bombers (a lot of them) so I can't possibly survive this; bombers kill a musket or Gatling gun every turn (even with cover promotions), and it take me a couple of turns to replace them. Pretty soon they'll start bombing my cities. I should probably finish the game and post my loss in the afterparty thread.

I wonder if the winning move was an atlatl rush against Greece at the very beginning before he gets hoplites, maybe even partnering with Japan to do it? (I was friends with Japan the whole game)