1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

TSG175 AAR

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Game Of The Month' started by Knowtalent, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Knowtalent

Knowtalent Chieftain GOTM Staff

Welcome to the TSG174 After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!
    STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.
    Please attach your final, first play through, .Civ5Save file, saved AFTER the victory ceremony if you were not conquered (using the "Lemme play one more turn" feature.) In your post.
    - How useful was your UA?
    - Did you use spying to your advantage?
    - Did the map type help or hinder victory and how?
    - How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions?
    - What Social Policies did you choose and in what order? Which Ideology did you choose?
    - What techs did you prioritize ?
    - What did you think of the map and settings?

2. zxcvbob

zxcvbob Chieftain

It's turn 253 in my game. I settled in place and decided to go Piety when I met that religious CS on turn 2 or 3. Got the second or third pantheon, and Desert Folklore was still available! Leveraged that into a pretty good religion, except by the time I got to Reformation all the good beliefs were already taken (so I took Evangelism) I settled 3 cities. Stole 2 workers from Egypt early, but have played peacefully after that. Social policies are Piety, Tradition, Autocracy. I'm doing okay in everything but culture. I'm just starting my big military buildup for the Great War that will be starting soon (it will start whether I start it or not), and I need to take out Egypt and Brazil. I have no iron nor coal, but I have horses, oil and aluminum. (I bought coal for a factory in Constantinople, and I will just skip frigates and go straight to battleships; my dromon and galleass don't have many promotions anyway)

I do not expect to win this, but this is the best I've done so far in a deity game. I'll post a follow-up when it's over.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  3. raider980

raider980 Chieftain

I resigned when I failed to get the last religion. No point in playing Byzantium without a religion. I almost rage quit when someone beat me to Desert Folklore by one turn but I continued hahaha. Losing the last religion was too much though.

I'm going back and making it into a Deity lite game though. Because I've never played Theodora before and it's an interesting map.

4. beetle

beetle Chieftain

That is exactly what happened to me. Last religion went T60, that is very fast. I was running Piety like I said I would, son not only a civ without a UA, but also a crippled opening tree. No fun at all!

I reloaded to try Tradition. I did enjoy the game well enough, but did not come close to winning, loosing to the far-away-run-away by CV on T297.

5. zxcvbob

zxcvbob Chieftain

I'm on turn 300 and not going to last much longer. Everybody except Austria and Celts have turned on me, and I'm at war with Brazil, Egypt, and I think Songhai. The war with Brazil was going okay until the other 2 jumped in a turn or two ago. Egypt has more rocket artillery than I've ever seen before; there's no way my bombers can kill them all fast enough. Plus it seems at deity level, all the AI units get the cover promotion for free. I'll play for another turn or two and then quit.

6. raider980

raider980 Chieftain

Yea, religions went fast in my game too (although I never even try for a religion on Deity so it may be normal). I went Liberty so after I lost out on DF I was just hoping to be able to get a religion with the Liberty finisher; but was no where near close. It'll be interesting to see if anyone gets a religion without DF.

I guess you could go Liberty and bang out settlers early and try to build shrines and get Stone Circles, there was two stone to the west by my 2nd city. Not sure though.

7. beetle

beetle Chieftain

I love how some maps are a real puzzle. With this one: Can I found? Can I win at all?

I have played this map three times now. Opening build is Monument, Shrine, Scout. The nearby religious CS gives 8 faith, but you need two more for the first pantheon. You need crazy good luck to catch Desert Folklore on this map! Abusing map knowledge, I went OWN on my 3rd game, and that gave me a religion. Took Jesuit Education for the Reformation Belief and was able to win by SV on turn 349 (game ends on T350). I was less aggressive, so I guess that kept the faraway runaway from killing civs on my starting continent, so she was not close to CV this time.

8. Ozmandius

Ozmandius Chieftain

It is an interesting setup. First time I've played on Sandstorm.

Similar to other people I've had no luck with religions. DF went early, and never got close to founding a religion. So as soon as DF went I decided to go warmonger. My plan is to convert the sole surviving enemy on the map, probably Celts since they seem to suck at culture. Oh yes, did eventually get DF from the owner, plus some very nice follower abilities.

Took the first Egyptian city around turn 50 with bows, the cap about 25 turns later with Comp Bows. The next hundred turns was several wars with Brazil and just captured last city on T200.

Of course everyone is friends with me because I used the slimy and questionable trick of bribing Brazil to declare war on everyone in the game, wait a turn or two then denounce Brazil and then declare war on him. You get all your money back that you bribed him with and everyone loves you for attacking such a villain like Brazil.

Not quite sure how I will hand the culture leader AH as she is rather far away for my cannons and knights and gatlings.

Fun game though.

[One week later]

Been busy and only played a bit here and there.
    ~ T215 attacked Ojibwe who went down pretty quick as I had artillery. Captured the last city around turn 240. Resurrected Egypt.

Then fought a short war with Gao and AH and took the cities they had on MY continent (generously shared with my loyal flunky, the Celts) and Quebec City (AH had married it). A small army went to Gao homeland but literally every space had a unit on it. That army got wiped (arty and tanks) but Gao was also fighting Celts and Polynesia so he peaced out and gave me Columbo. This ended around T270.

Started another war with AH around 280 and now I had nukes. Glazed over most of Western AH, captured one city in this area and peaced out to build an army.

Started another war with AH about T300. By now I had rocket artillery and XCOM (and more nukes). Did a preliminary nuke bombardment and over about 15 turns captured 4 cities including Vienna (must have nuked it at least 4 times over the 2 wars but still had all the wonders!).

Accidentally won the game in T315 (World Leader) as I didn't notice I had enough votes. Oh well .. kept going to see whether I could have got a culture victory. AH peaces out and gives me 6 cities (mostly tiny ones scattered on islands around the world which would be annoying to attack. Now around T320.

One more war should wipe out AH and musicians should pretty easily push culture over the top for Gao (who is still fighting Celts and Polynesia).

[Anothere week later]

Since I can't attack AH I started a war with Gao. Took about 1 city a turn with stealth bombers.

Bring everything back into position for AH and on T335 turns later the last AH city fell and game was over (with dominant culture over Poly, Celts, Egypt).

Started a second game to try and be more religious. With Piety as my first two picks I was able to get DF and then a religion (got cathedrals and mosques). Then pretty much the same plan. Egypt out by T90 (well they had one city off in one corner). Got Brazil out by T170 this time. AH still a cultural runaway though so looks like I'd still have to over there and kill her off again. Same game so don't think I'll bother.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  9. zxcvbob

zxcvbob Chieftain

I gave up on turn 300, in about 3 or 4 wars that I can't possibly win; I might can drag them out for a while but that's no fun.

I have played just the beginning several times, and I can fairly-consistently get a religion if my build order is monument, shrine, granary, settler, and I open piety for my first policy -- then switch to something else like Tradition. Don't really needs scouts with no goody huts, but I may squeeze one in before the settler, just depends when my population is scheduled to grow. I might come back later and take Mandate from Heaven; just depends on what beliefs I get. Usually all the good ones are gone by the time I get there. I thought Desert Folklore + Sun God (all that citrus and wheat) + Holy Warriors might be interesting, but HW goes really fast. Tithe is usually gone too even if I found the 2nd or 3rd religion (usually I found the last one), and generally the AI's don't take that one.

ETA: I wonder if Honor is the path to victory, and the "no barbarians" is to throw us off? BTW, to get Desert Folklore, I can't waste a single turn getting the shrine up. City has to be on production focus early (but I lock a good food tile or two) and I can't prebuild the granary while waiting for piety to unlock. Otherwise I stay 2 or 3 turns away from getting a pantheon, with the price jumping just as I'm about there.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  10. Maxerman

Maxerman Chieftain

Defeated by Maria Theresa's culture victory on turn 334.

Can't say that was the most fun game I've ever had. Failed getting the second pantheon and DF by 2 turns (despite literally doing it the fastest way possible). Went sun gods instead. Failed getting a religion by 4-5 turns around turn 50. Failed getting Petra by (5-6 turns) despite b-lining from the get-go. Still managed to play the game solidly. Focused hard on tech. Caught up around artillery, and conquered the cultural leader Ramesses thinking I'd just take him out, get all his wonders, and then everyone else would be easier. What I should have done then was keep conquering to match Maria Theresa's growth who just went out of control. I don't think I have ever played a game with such a dominant AI in the end. Look at the score. Won every win condition at the same time pretty much. Steamrolled other players in a couple turns, proper blitzkrieg, and had some of the most insane demographics I've seen for an AI.

Giving it just a turn or 2 more with 2 musicians I would have influential over the other 5 remaining players, but with Maria it was even falling after she got the firewall, so without conquering much more earlier on or then destroying her in the late game which would have been impossible at that point, a cultural victory was not possible. Even though the only player I shared freedom with was Maria as well. :p

P.S check out the saddest world fair you'll ever see below, despite putting ALL (except 1) cities on it the first turn it began.

P.P.S the actual questions:

- How useful was your UA?

Not at all, didnt get a religion.

- Did you use spying to your advantage?

Stole 6-8 techs or so. Diplomats for additional tourism but wasn't enough.

- Did the map type help or hinder victory and how?

DF and Petra was too contested. Almost got both. Perhaps with some RNG it's possible to get the perfect opening with DF, Petra and a religion.

- How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions?

Tried to play safe, b-line the things I wanted even more than usual, focus hard on tech just to stay in the game. Then schmooze all the AIs and use them to help me take down Ramesses when I did. With the lack of aggressive AIs and playing nice probably had 25-30 research agreements that game as well.

- What Social Policies did you choose and in what order? Which Ideology did you choose?

Piety-2, Tradition-4, Open Aesthetics, Rationalism-3, Freedom-5, finish Rationalism, continue Aesthetics

- What techs did you prioritize ?

Pottery-->Mining-->Currency-->Philosophy-->Education-->Guilds-->Acoustics-->Scientific Theory-->Dynamite-->Archaeology-->Radio-->Plastics-->Telecommunication-->Internet

- What did you think of the map and settings?

If the game was on anything but deity it would have been a nice easy DF-->Petra game, but now it turned into a bit of RNG which I'm not a huge fan off. If you have bad RNG it is literally impossible to get a religion at which point the only way to win a culture victory is to be mostly a warmonger, seems like at least.

Attached Files: